NVIDIA Next Generation Mainstream GPU Detailed in August

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 31, 2018.

1. Embra

Embra Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    Mid-range means price to me as well.
    I consider the 1060 and 1070 to be the "mid-ranged" GPUs. 1080 and 1080ti high end, the Titan beyond that.

Of course that is just my opinion.

7 nm is worth the wait.

Maddness likes this.
  2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Couple reasons - Nvidia pulled a rabbit out of a hat with Maxwell's architectural improvements, we have a glimpse of Nvidia's next generation architecture with Volta and we don't see similar magic this time around. 28nm to 16/14nm didn't improve density by two nodes - 16nmFF is the same density as 20SOC, which is only about 33% improved over 28nm.. 7nm is 70% improvement over 16nm and brings a 60% power reduction, which is also more than 28 -> 16/14. On top of that 7nmFF+ adds another 17% to density and 10% to power. So not only would Nvidia need to do more magic than it did with Maxwell but it would also have to do something to make up the density difference if they really wanted to stay competitive.

But yeah.. I'm speculating - it's definitely possible they ship 12nm parts because they know something I don't. Like there were rumors that ampere/turning are next-gen gaming architectures - perhaps those have something volta doesn't - or perhaps AMD's 7nm parts are further out than we expect, or whatever.. but given everything i know I think it will be 7nm. I think they're going to want to get some experience with the node before they ship 600mm2+ GX100 chip on it in the Spring 2019 and I think this will help them stay competitive against AMD.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  3. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Master Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    To many gossips are posted on hardware blogs / news sites. Claiming they sort of legit information obtained by data-mining or leaked somewhere.

The very first speculations claimed 1180 will be released as soon as Q1 2018, even in the end of January. That gossip also claimed it aligning with massive production of GDDR6. Total BS. This made me skip updating to Pascal last year. Bad decision. :(

Nvidia is taking its time to release new gaming GPU because their have no competition and can still make a good business with Pascal.
    Their milked a lot of people by raising the prices due to cryptocurrencies. Now last of the previous gen stock is sucked by gamers.

Why would you release new GPU if demand for previous gen is still high?

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    There is a very good reason why Nvidia does not call x80 a midrange card.

You cant call it midrange and ask $500-600.
    Not to mention that would needlessly kills the enthusiast, aka super high-end range. Which they are very proud to come up with :p

That's plausible, because Nvidia would love to move midrange to $350+, stealthily if possible . Like they have done with GTX 970, which was a huge success for them.

As for 12nm...
    That would somewhat explain "mainstream" part, but 12nm makes less and less sense with each passing day.
    Other possible explanation is, it's a power optimized part of the GPU convention, seeing both Intel and AMD are talking about thin form factor. Or "a marketing misstep" like Denial said.

Which is exactly what I had thought about Polaris, pre-release: There is no way AMD is REALLY talking about mid-range. Turned out they did....

5. fOrTy_7

fOrTy_7 Master Guru

GPU:
    N/A
    Not necessary. If 1180 is just a Pascal Refresh I would count on big performance boost.
    The performance boost between 980Ti and 1080 was extraordinary and not typical, which was introduced by a new architecture. Even Nvidia was promoting 1080 as GPU with biggest performance boost in 10 years. :D

From what I heard they never planned to release Pascal as it was, it was supposed to be Volta.
    But they didn't had finished Volta on time so they released a cut-down version as Pascal.

I really hope Ampler/Turing is not really a Pascal 2/ Pascal Refresh.

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX

the 750 ti was first:D

but I hear what you are saying

fantaskarsef and -Tj- like this.
  7. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    You can certainly argue that the 104 chip is a midrange chip, but the it's the full uncut chip used in the x80 models. The cut 104 chips are the ones used in the x70 models.

8. drac

drac Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX2080 Ti OC
    The ti isn’t for a while then... bugger.

They really need to just skip this non-ti model nonsence. Just release the damn top end model first already!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
    Maddness likes this.
  9. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i waiting to see how much i regret upgrading my 660gtx to 1060gtx and that to a 1070ti for extra 150$ threw evga setup. Great card none the less, just i kinda expect nvidia to release of card with same performance for half the price of 1070ti, and 1170ti or what to be 2x faster for same price, that might tad unrealastic, but seeing i this 1070ti i payed 400 for is first card i spent that much on in over 10 years i expect it to happen.

10. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    The problem with that is the yields would be so low that you would curse Nvidia due to the price they'd have to charge for it.

11. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    i wonder if this chip is gonna part of a multi die strategy, as nvidia has talked about in the past. maybe its time.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I also used to have a 980Ti and a 1440p/144Hz monitor but I personally felt that I wanted at least 100fps to get the most out of the monitor. Luckily the 1080 was released and some time later I jumped to 1080Ti which handled the monitor way better. Still, some games only gave me 85+ fps which was slightly low. I'm a kind of person who also wants to keep the graphical fidelity in all games. Maybe you see things differently?

13. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    While this may be a discussion for a thread of its own, are any of you familiar with TSMC's upcoming Stacked Wafer-on-Wafer (WoW) technology? It's kinda like how they stack NAND for flash storage. Instead of using the most cutting edge process node, they'd be using the previous node with reliably high yields to get far more performance without increasing die size. Cooling may pose a challenge, but i'm pretty sure they've already considered that.

https://www.techspot.com/news/74441-tsmc-stacked-wafer-tech-could-double-power-nvidia.html

14. Embra

Embra Maha Guru

GPU:
    Vega 64 Nitro+LE
    I agree it is very interesting and deserving of it's own thread. It will either get lost in this thread or nerco it.

15. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti MSI Light
    No i agree for the most part, however some settings just put heavy demand on the GPU for no reason what to ever, least it becomes not as noticeable to me at times, but it also depends on the game... 60fps on a slower action rpg, sure fine, 60fps on a shooter then yeah bit more of an issue, id rather 120+ at that stage, mostly just depends what i am playing.

Though i also have a 1080ti so i don't have many issues like that anymore

16. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 ti @ 2100 mhz
    Then gpu AIO water cooling might become mandatory, but honestly, that wouldn't be too bad either. I'm all for moving forward with anything that can significantly increase performance... for let's be honest, gpu innovation sure has stagnated !

17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    At this point, we know AMD will be showing something during June / July, which will be available sometime after that, Q3/4 2018 I believe. What Nvidia does is the same as they have done in the past, hint at or show something (August) that's available shortly after AMD's release (also Q3/4 2018), and for a premium price tag, quite faster than AMD's offers. Also, I expect Nvidia's stock to be bigger than AMD's when it comes to launch times.

That said, I guess I'm a sad man having to wait until 2019 (maybe Q2 2019?) to find an upgrade for my 1080Ti that doesn't involve going SLI, which I have no plans to do.

18. HardwareCaps

HardwareCaps Master Guru

GPU:
    x
    What GPUs? we already know next gen is getting its own process node at "12nm"

19. teleguy

teleguy Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070/Vega 56
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    I assume whatever is after Volta, or the Volta gaming variants? Nvidia has been shipping 12nm GPU's for almost a year now.. GV100 was announced last May, it started sampling to customers in June 2017 on 12nm. 12nm is old news - if they ship gaming GPUs on 12nm this year with 7nm so close and AMD already sampling 7nm GPUs - I wouldn't buy it on principle.

Maddness and Dragam1337 like this.