1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA: Minecraft is getting ray tracing (+screenshots)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    What's your problem? I love good lighting even in Terraria. I loved to use basic weapon in Quake 2 because it did illuminate environment.
    I loved lighting in Forsaken. And in AvP 2000.

It does not matter how base game looks outside of some effect that I do like. Sane person can be impressed by certain aspect of any system.

2. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1070 Strix
    Oh i agree with you. I play indie games half the time. One of the game i've put the most hours in the last 20 years or so is Rogue Legacy and i did put many hours in Terraria too. I like good lightning and shadows too even if it's the first thing i tune down to get a better fps. I don't have any problem outside of apparently i can't say current implementations of ray tracing in games are not impressive (in my opinion) or else i'm assumed to be an AMD fanboy who somehow ran nVidia card for the past 12 years. Apparently i have no choice but to say it's impressive and perfect.

The current implementations of ray tracing don't look bad but they are not impressive to me considering the cost of a good RTX card and the hit in fps you get by enabling ray tracing. Yeah in the case of Minecraft it looks far better than the original game (if this is what you are after while playing Minecraft personally i love the charm of the original). But the original game was never meant to impress. When i look at games like COD MW, BF V or SOTTR i'm not impressed. There's way to many flaws in the implementation. Reflections that should not be there. Shadows not making sense. Crushed blacks. It's overdone like the vaseline induced games of 10 years ago. The worst is probably BF V where the cars and water supposedly full of dust and debris (it's in the middle of a war zone) reflect light better than my car after a good wash and wax or a crystal clear lake on a day without wind. Honestly i hate it.

I feel like if people who think like me don't voice their opinion it wont change. I simply chose to voice my opinion. I'm fine with people disagreeing with me and loving current implementation of ray tracing but i'm not fine with people saying things like "a non ray tracing card is useless" or "it's embarrassing that some people don't think current ray tracing implementations are not impressive". I did the same many years ago when half the games looked like they were painted using Vaseline induced brush. Some guys liked it. I did not and i voiced it. Eventually developers tuned it down a notch.

I understand it can get frustrating to see every thread about RTX getting hijacked with people saying meh. But those people are just voicing their opinion and attacking them by saying they are AMD fanboys or it's embarrassing or your card is useless cause it doesn't have ray tracing all of this doesn't make things any better. Personally i'm genuinely not impressed and i'll use my wallet to send a message in a couple of months (first time i'll buy an AMD card in many many years) and i hope 2-3 years from now when i'll upgrade again developers will have figured out how to use ray tracing without overdoing it for no reason.

HandR and Fox2232 like this.
  3. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    No, it's not frustrating. It's fucking boring us.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    they might not be amd fanboys, but they are progression ignorant.

5. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    Oh FFS. LOL to the people here saying nobody wants this fancy Minecraft, when this guy Sonic Ether literally does nothing but exactly this for Minecraft in software and currently makes this amount a month:

patrons
    $52,135
    a month

in subscriptions (highest subscriber amount per month on Patreon I believe)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  6. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070
    It does look great, but you have to understand, that a lot of that improvement can be done without real time raytracing... most of the improvement in the blocks looks is to do with MOD packs which replace the original 256 colour 16x16 pixel blocks with 24bit 512x512 (or 1024x1024) pixel blocks. I did this myself in my own Minecraft/Pixelmon install with various packs... the trouble is, these massive texture packs take a massive amount of GPU memory and normally slow the system down to a crawl, as well as taking ages to load (did on my old PC anyway... have not tried on new one yet). You can get lower resolution 256x256 version packs which are easier on your GPU/mem.

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    If this is full path traced like Q2RTX I imagine the image quality will poor in motion from the denoising. So no thanks. Not a step forward IMO.

8. HybOj

HybOj Member

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970 DCmini
    Sry 4 late reply...yea 1000fps to 30 :)) anyway, I just love Dlyria! You are lucky if u still have the vinyl, I wanted to buy some dream team vinyls but they are just too expensive nowadays. But I managed to get lots of good oldskool gabber vinyls, some of which have tracks which were on thunderdome as well :)

9. Monchis

Monchis Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 950
    0.0039% of minecraft monthly players. :eek: