NVIDIA Might Cancel GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 22, 2020.

1. rdmetz

rdmetz Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 780 6GB SC
    Read my other post I provided each card to a friend or family member who've been dying to upgrade for a long while and have very little experience with this type of thing. I asked for nothing but the cost and shipping. A few through and extra couple bucks on the Google pay transaction (and others have promised to take me out next time they are in town) but I didn't ask for anything.

I just know I know what I'm doing and they don't. I hate that it's hard for everyone but I do tire of alot of the excuses and s**t talking.

It's like saying I don't care about that Ferrari anyways it probably super slow and a piece of crap anyways.... What's that?

Oh I can get one now?

Yes please!

2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Makes it only easier for me to not buy an nvidia product this year.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Serious question:
    Why would nVidia cancel product people are crying for. A lot of people (even those who should know better) believe they get longevity from 16/20GB VRAM.

My answer is that nVidia does not expect those cards to be price competitive.

sbacchetta, Undying and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. rdmetz

rdmetz Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 780 6GB SC
    Lol

YALL funny but no just an avid gamer whose been around the block for the last 10 years of these launches. I really wanted the upgrade I got burned early on day 1 with my plans definitely not ready for the insane bot attack.

But I adopted quickly bought a 1660 before they were gone from Amazon (putting it in to step up with evga) and stayed diligent with watching my alerts and scored a evga 3080 xc3 about 14 hours after launch.

I didn't want anything but the 3090 ftw3 so I started asking around and built a list of friends who wanted one and what they were willing to take and just went to work making sure my alert system was on point and would wake the dead if need be.

I also made sure every checkout system was setup as best as possible before hand to fly through and I studied how they worked to make my anxiety ridden fumbling to get through it as smooth as possible. I failed quite a few times and even drew blood (sliding on a recently waxed floor and busting my knee running for my phone).

I also definitely got 3 of them in the middle of the night while sleeping with my nuclear alarms waking me up and my training just flying through the checkout process.

My point was they definitely out there getting sold a bunch of the discords I monitor have 1000s of confirmed "wins" so people who are dedicated are getting the cards.

Not just hackers botters and scalpers I promise you.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020

5. rdmetz

rdmetz Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 780 6GB SC
    I got my 2080ti for negative $250 (after selling my sli 1080ti's) and then used it for 2 years almost at which point I sold for $1100 along with the - 250 I had 1had $1350 moving forward from my previous cards and not at any time in the last few years was my setup not the best you could ask for.

My 3090 only costing me 400 or so amd and knowing I'll probably sell it for 1200-ish right before its replacement comes out still feels absolutely "good" with me.

On average my costs to keep my pc on the cutting edge since 2012 is averaging out to between $290-$330 depending on whether I get 1 year or 2 with the 3090 being the best.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  6. rdmetz

rdmetz Active Member

GPU:
    2x EVGA GTX 780 6GB SC
    We always here stuff like this now during the chaos but after the fact just like the 2080ti and with some hindsight it always starts to look a lot better.

It will be fine and it's performance to cost advantage will go down as one of the best in a long time.

People just salty right now they either can't get one or that their preferred brand could deliver some magic 3090 destroying card at 225w (like they banish Nvidia for using 300+ but will ride high on amd just matching the 3080 and using roughly the same power).

7. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    If Amd can beat my Msi 2080s ventus xc by 25% then Amd it will be.....either that or just swap out my 3800x for a new 5900x

8. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    As a EU citizen I pretty much shop where I can get native service. Looks like I'll be abusing my family member's house address in the States for some orders in the next product launch.

9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this is part of jen's blindspot.
    mind you complacency takes many forms, none of which was involved in designing Ampere.
    the complacency was in not future-proofing their supply chain earlier.

very large chip designs are by nature lower yield. by dancing at the edge of the last previous (Samsung) generation process they have improved the yield considerably compared to 12-14 nm. but now they have the quirks of someone's else process node which is new to them.
    this is without doubt the most massive die ever produced by Samsung at this node as they've ditched it (metaphorically) and moved on.

in a few months this will be in the rearview mirror as far as overall success of this series.
    it's called growing pains, but it's also known as bad p.r. to burn your fanboys (who don't understand the maturing of manufacturing processes).

no doubt they've been hanging fire waiting on AMD as far as pricing and which models will compete against each other. but they had new technology too and wanted to jump the gun (by a month at least) because it was a "one-fer" and AMD is a "two-fer". and time enough to get the cards installed on top gaming rigs with a few patches under their belts.

i look forward to having to choose between enthusiast gpu's again, not just AIB's.

10. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    That they're moving to TSMC 7NM in 2021 is true.
    Nvidia is now going to do the 16gb and 20gb cards on TSMC, so they have manageable yields.
    They just chose to do them on TSMC as the following is partly to blame:
    Not enough GOOD silicon is coming out of Samsung 8nm process they chose, creating availability issues at retail, where only 7% of orders have been fulfilled.
    Putting out 16gb and 20gb models of the cards would somewhat devalue the 700$ 10gb 3080 (16gb model is 3070, but this has the same effect on the 8gb model).
    Putting out 16gb and 20gb models would strain the already-stretched-thin supply of 3080 cards, and the 3070 isn't even out yet (though the 3070 will re-use dies that did not make the cut for 3080's or 3090's).
    Nvidia has not sold enough 3090's due to sheer availability issues, and does not need the attractiveness of the card's 24gb of VRAM muffled by a 20gb card being out for half the cost (or close to it).
    Releasing identical tier cards with differing VRAM but similar name will cause confusion among customers, many not knowing what the difference will be besides VRAM capacity - worse yet if ALL cards/chips* start to be made at TSMC regardless of VRAM size.

So yes, there's a few reasons here in play, not listed in any order. You'll see the next 16gb and 20gb models of cards come out for the next generation, or in the 'super' or 'ti' branding (if contract clauses don't prevent this, otherwise it'll be completely in the next generation).

If AMD does come out with something comparable from RADEON group, it will certainly be interesting to see Nvidia scramble - but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have some doubts about Radeon team suddenly coming out with something super-duper powerful all of a sudden that does not have some-sort of caveat (be it heat/noise or issues with drivers as in the past). The honest truth is, right now Nvidia has the upper hand in performance by notable margin, so they don't need to be so rammer-jammer with the hardware releases. Maybe Nvidia has some insider knowledge to what AMD has in the works in the near-term, too.

We'll know we're right around the corner for some powerful Radeon cards if/when power grids near all the major AIB's start failing almost simultaneously (as they test new pre-release Radeon cards out). OK OK sorry, but I couldn't resist the ideas of mentioning that such after the power-munching** past of some of the Radeon cards. Nvidia isn't too much better on the 3080/3090 series with the high power use requiring a new plug.

*to keep this simple, I'm just saying 'cards made at xxx' regardless of what is sourced/made wherever and assembled elsewhere later. This is just the silicon sourcing technically.
    **I'm not anti-AMD, I am pro-competition and like anything that helps keep prices down. I would have never believed folks 3 years ago telling me that this summer I could score a 3950x for 700$ USD taxes included, and put it in a mainstream desktop board, and cool it with a decent (Noctua!) air cooler almost silently whilst having 16 genuine cores on it. Having this for content creation on the cheap without ponying up for HEDT is pure painless bliss - thanks to AMD! No, really, I'm [censored] impressed. Compared to what a friend spent on a fancy x299 HEDT video crunching tower, I got this for a steal - paying almost the cost of the entire tower for what he a year or two prior spent on just the processor for his system alone.

People who reviewed the 3080's weren't genuinely happy with the overclocking capability of the 3080's either, so I don't think that's helping anything (though, entirely, this feature is never promised) with the current situation.

To my best of knowledge, I would say it shouldn't take too long once TSMC gets cracking on chip production for Nvidia, for partially assembled pre-production models to start hitting AIB's for initial testing and then hence-forth turned over to nvidia for validation. I doubt it'd take until summer to do all of this, but that's not out of the question.

All things considered, take everything with a grain of salt, put your feet up, and kick back a bit and smile - if you love PC hardware, you've certainly got a reason to - as competition makes the waters friendlier for all who love PC's and even just gaming in general.

11. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 4080:)
    Looking at the stock availability i think they've cancelled the 10GB version as well :)

Embra, Undying, Backstabak and 4 others like this.
  12. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6600
    I've been refreshing the pages at Newegg and Amazon since "launch" day (just out of curiosity, not actually in the market), and I have not once, not even for a second, seen ANY 3000 series card, from any manufacturer, at any price, showing as in stock, at all. No way there is that much "demand". Never seen any product of any kind that actually existed sell that fast, for this long. The cards just don't exist except for a very tiny few. Nvidia has serious trouble of some sort.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Solfaur likes this.
  13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    These Ampere cards are like a crappy movie..

Failure_to_Launch.jpg

14. Dellers

Dellers Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti Trio
    2080 Ti launch was almost as bad, but I remember 2080's being super easy to get (unsurprisingly considering almost equal performance as the previous gen at a higher cost). I had to wait until February last year for my Ti. Sounds like people will have to wait longer than to February next year until there are enough cards for the current 3080 orders. 2070S is the best card available to buy here right now, so no high end option until spring most likely. It's not even possible to order anything above that, the 3000 series is simply not for sale.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    people need to get it out of their head that production of a gpu is ok'd or veto'd by jensen.

16. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    I wonder if this wasn't the plan all-along, or at least from the time they realized samsung production wasn't up to scratch.
    3080 /90 - 8nm
    3080s /70s - 7nm
    It explains the very good price /performance of 3080
    Still it's a win for those in the market for card around the 7nm super release date, whenever that is?

17. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    2080Ti launch was seemless because Nvidia let us pre-order from day 1. Everybody got a place in queue and cards were plentiful after the first month.

18. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Seems obvious to me that they cancelled a cheaper 20GB card, because there are so many suckers already lined up to pay 1500+ for the 24GB equivalent, so no need for NVidia to undercut that nice little earner...

Solfaur likes this.
  19. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Except it's not a rumored card. Are you forgetting how hyped 90% of PC gamers got when they announced these cards and the gains the initial reviews showed? The demand for these cards is higher than any nVidia card ever made. I know three people with 3080's. Two of them got theirs at MIcrocenter.

People seem to have incredibly short memory. Prior to the RTX 2xxx launch, most nVIdia cards would sell out on launch and then sell out again on subsequent shipments for at least a couple months. And this isn't because of low yields. if it were, all those previous launches where you wouldn't buy cards would have reflected in their earnings reports. Instead they do huge sales during a launch quarter.

You could have during the mining craze. I bought my regular GTX 1080 just prior to the prices skyrocketing and within a couple months i saw the exact same card selling for almost $1k new. 1080ti was selling well over that price new. So $1k used was not unheard of.

20. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The 20/16 GB editions..