NVIDIA makes LHR graphics cards official (Hash Rate Limited)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 18, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Endymion

Endymion Member Guru

GPU:
    4090 TUF
    Are we sure of that protection is not gonna be breached by day 1?

3. MonstroMart

MonstroMart Maha Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Red Dragon
    I predict day 3.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    This time I doubt it will be breached on day 1. But I doubt we will see MSRP prices for a long time. Since its unlikely manufacturing capacity will be able to meet demand for quite a while. TSMC and other fabs will ask for bids for fab space and only those who pay highest will get their chips manufactured in time (like Apple).

5. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Has anybody in the UK actually been able to by any current gen top end cards, red or green?

6. stanley Luymes

stanley Luymes Guest

GPU:
    If the 3080 card i ordered is hrl i wont be purchasing it. I will buy AMD instead. I fully plan on mining with it so i can afford it. I doubt i will be the only one doing this.

7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Dunno but I have two 2070supers that I got just over a year ago. One is running in my main system the other is sitting in a backup doing nothing so wondered how much I could get for it. A few resellers seemed to be trying to punt them for upwards of £1300, that's twice what I paid for the card over a year ago. I've never seen that sort of thing happen ever, especially when it comes to tech.

8. sardine

sardine Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 2070
    can you afford the electric bill 320w GPU + PC / cpu etc so say 500w@ 24/7 = in the UK about £4 a day , you either don't care about your electric bill or live with your parents.

so around ( if you mine 24/7 ) £1500 a year. Or £28 a week.

tunejunky likes this.
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    The RTX 3000 series is manufactured at Samsung, not TSMC. But in either case, you're probably still right that we won't see MSRP prices for a while.

10. hansip87

hansip87 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G
    depends on the pricing though. if it can be kept at 10+% of MSRP then why not? if LHR edition is still being sold at 3x MSRP now that's when you should cancel it.

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
  12. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    when mining you severely underclock core and OC ram (not too much on 30 series tho)
    when doing this your card will pull around half the power that it does when gaming.
    then you underclock cpu and all the rest, boom, you're in the money.
    I too wouldn't want a non-mining card at this point.

13. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    This are technically different cards I suppose, so the will have market "value" MSRPs I am sure.

14. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    This isnt going to lower demand. Ethereum is just one algorithm. There are dozens that are nearly as profitable. And even if the 3060 LHS was 30MHS for $330, miners would still want them.
    Nvidia is doing this so they can start implementing technology that restricts what you can do with the card so they can segment the market for higher profitability. "Want AI/ML? You have to buy Quadro." They sell thousands of cards directly to chinese miners, they dont care about gamers they care about profit and their years of anti-competitive practices should clue people in on that.

15. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Like others said, miners will be all over these regardless, eth is not the only crypto people mine. I bet I won't see one bellow the price of "vanilla" 3000 cards here when they launch, which is 4-5x MSRP.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I know Nvidias initial contracts were with Samsung, but its not a permanent or exclusive thing. They also have deals with TSMC where a good part of their 2021 production will come from.

tunejunky likes this.
  17. MonsterMX99

MonsterMX99 Member

GPU:
    Hashrate limited cards released at the end of the Crypto bull market, what a timing LMAO

Legacy-ZA likes this.
  18. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    The end? Last week i made near one hundred euros on a 2080ti.

19. Every attempt to slow down this crypto madness is appreciated, but this is not enough. There should be world-wide ban for crypto to real money exchanges. That is the only way how to stop this.

20. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    to play devils advocate nvidia does not think things into existence .... to make a change in the silicon level needs design and validation some limited test validation runs and when they are sure things work as expected then release ...those kind of things take TIME you can not just release something overnight

tunejunky likes this.