NVIDIA lies again with GeForce 6600

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Opson6667, Dec 23, 2004.

1. Tarkan2467

Tarkan2467 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
    Killgore, open the NVIDIA Driver control panel, go to the front screen (by hitting the name of the video card on the slide-out settings list on the left), and check the bus it is running on. If it says PCI x0, that's your problem. Install some chipset drivers. That was my first guess as to what your problem is too.

And if it shows the correct bus please post a screenshot so we're all sure ;)

2. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

but marty for sure hed get more then 10fps

3. Liranan

Liranan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6870 1000/1200
    Could you guys stop swearing and putting people down when they get something wrong. This superiority complex some of you have is really getting on my nerves and I though Tomshardware was bad with fools posting on its forum.

If you can't refrain yourself from being impolite then don't respond. You don't do anyone any good going around swearing and telling them they are newbies and stupid just because they got something wrong. The forum is for helping eachother not just showing off how good your rig is or how smart you are.

I wished the forum rules were enforced more strictly than they are now, many of you would get banned and not be allowed to post such ridiculous blabber you post now in responce to someone posting an opinion.

It is easy to forget you were all 'NOOBS' too. You all may be experts with your Vapochill's or your Prometia's but you had to learn as well and if you can't tollerate that there are those who don't know what you do then don't replie.

And stop using the word noob as some derogative word. We are all newbies at something so be careful you may step on someone toes someday and find that your arrogance is nothing more than petty compared to the knowledge of others.

4. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    1) not enough power will cause crash's - NOT low frame rates

2) CPU is a limitation, yes - but its a >2ghz for christ's sake. its hardly weak, so I can pretty much say that it IS NOT the cause of the problem (maybe a contributing factor, yea - but not the cause)

dude, have u done a re-format recently? if not, do the following.

1) check for (then install) bios updates for your mobo and video card

2) format completely and reinstall XP

3) install mobo chipset drivers and other peripheral devices

4) update to latest WHQL nvidia drivers

If that doesn't set things right then I dunno what it would be - short of VERY bad bios settings!

also, a word of advice - benchmarks like the ones posted on this site really need a bit of interpritation - you can not get framerates that high on such a system, as they run thier tests on really high end systems.

5. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

actually kevmerif your wrong

on my preious nvidia cards not enough power caused a core slow down causing the frames to slow

hence why my score was cut from a solid 6325

to 3545 when my psu went

6. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    really? i've never seen any evidence of this.... does nvidia have some sort of hardware control to throttle down the speed of a card when there isn't enough juice going to it?

7. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

yeah it does actually

my old 5900XT used to say your card has been underclocked to prevent damgae due to not enough power or something like that whenever i had a power issue

:p old 300watt psu that couldn't handle it lol

8. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Super Jetstream
    yeah, happened to my ol 5900XT too :) its nVidia's Sentinel who gives warning and throttles core and mem speeds at very low levels

9. MrRand0m

MrRand0m Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5850
    wow - all the time i've been on these forums, i have never heard of that - is it a hardware function, or a driver thing?

10. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

its hardware + the driver

the video card detects the unstable power and the drivers lowers the cards clocks

11. Killgore

Killgore Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800 GTX
    Yep, I have a 430 w ps that supports 20 amps on the 12 volt rail. I even unplugged everything but the hd, cdrom, and graphics card to make sure it wasn't a ps problem and it didn't have any effect.

Reason I don't think its a cpu problem is that I've overclocked this 2.26 to 2.8 and saw no gpu performance change... but I'll probably upgrade to an 800 mhz fsp p4 eventually.

I've tried ever bios/driver/windows install avaliable without effect. Even tried an xpsp1. I have a bachelor's in computer science so its not like I havn't been around the block about a million times. :)

I'll check for the "PCI x0" like you suggested but I highly doubt it. I've tried multiple versions of the intel chipset drivers with no good results. I'm out of town for christmas, but I'll let you know asap w/ screenshot.

Thanks for the suggestions. If you have any crazy off the wall ideas let me know... but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a driver fix from intel or nvidia.

12. Martys Web

Martys Web Don Santino Corleone

GPU:
    XFX 7600gt
    Also you need DDR 400 memory to go with the 800 Mhz CPU or you will not get the gain from it.

Remember 800 Mhz FSB P4 CPU + DDR 400 memory= Tons of bandwith and that is what your video card needs

13. Opson6667

Opson6667 Member

GPU:
    Leadtek 6200 AGP 8 reneding pipelines @ 565/370
    NVIDIA lied with FX so we have now thit same situation..........

14. fivefeet8

fivefeet8 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 8800gtx @625/2100
    Please read your responses from other members. Else you're being ignorant.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  15. Nigh

Nigh Master Guru

GPU:
    POV 7900GT 256Mb
    I read all the responses and I agree with fivefeet8...don't be ignorant a listen (in this case read) what everyone is telling you.

16. Advis

Advis Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb
    What is the issue here? The 6600GT is a damn good card (when it works right of course) and second of all there is proof that this is a 4x2 AND an 8x1 architecture so frankly I don't really know what your whining about.

17. solofly

solofly Banned

GPU:
    eVGA 580 SC SLI@840@1080P
    Facet naucz sie czytac i nie truj dupy.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2004
  18. lIqUI[]

lIqUI[] Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680DCU II OC
    lets see here for $200 you get a card that can outrun a 9800XT and a 5950U. I havent been keeping up to par much on midgrade cards but what competition does a 6600GT have for the same price? Last I checked it outperformed everything that was comparable from ATIs midrange and both companies last high ends. It looks to me like you just want to troll the forums. Raed what people typed and stop overlooking their posts.

I could keep on and on but I would like to stay unbanned from at least one gfx card section of the boards heh.

19. adair_fett

adair_fett Banned

GPU:
    Asus V9999 Ultra - GeForce 6800 Ultra
    Maybe he just doesnt like listening to reason?

20. Killgore

Killgore Member

GPU:
    EVGA 7800 GTX
    It reads "AGP 8x"

Here is a screenshot:

[​IMG]