NVIDIA LHR version 3 anti-crypto algorithm for RTX 3050/3080 12GB would be 90% unlocked

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 20, 2022.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DannyD likes this.
  2. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    Nice hash software is messed up right now, a known issue is driver crashing they admitted yesterday.
    My rig has been BSODing every day since 100% unlock appeared. (my main rig)

3. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Is Gpu mining even worth it anymore? Last I checked the time it takes to recoup the cost of a gpu is far too long to be worth it and it's only going down as time goes on and the algorithm gets more complex.

Silva likes this.
  4. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    If you have been in mining for a couple of years or more, it is still barely profitable. But the idea is, at least for me, to mine for crypto coins now and hope in the future the coin/s increase in value. I'm looking at a 10–15-year window to hopefully cash in. It is not for me; it is part of monies I have put aside for my grandchildren.

5. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    30 series nice profit, 20 series not bad (worth it), 10 series hobbyists.
    Dunno about amd.

6. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    I knew people were stupid, but this much?

zaft, mohiuddin, heffeque and 3 others like this.
  7. A 3060 can do up to 50 MH/s, but a RX 6600 XT that's better on-paper can do 33 MH/s without any kind of restrictions, and only after a memory OC. I haven't tested the full LHR unlock, but in the past with a 74% LHR unlock I was getting a tiny bit better rates around 35MH/s with LHRv2.

Why is this? I get better benchmarks with the 6600 XT, games play generally the same between both GPUs, but the 3060 in what's supposed to be restricted on mining has significant advantages on mining?

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    $50 a month where I live with electric costs factored in on a 3080 -- so if you buy a 3080 now and mine you could pay off the cost in little over a year.

FWIW I made roughly ~$4K on my 3080 since I bought it by mining on nicehash and that's with me gaming often, not selling at the high points and not mining at all for several weeks at a time. Someone that bought it just for mining, optimized it and sold at decent highs is probably at around $6-7K I'd imagine?

fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Thanks for the inside, and grats on your gains.
    To be honest, at times I find myself wondering, when the next PC upgrade happens in fall, if one should start to put the old card to use, or sell it to a miner (I would know one).
    Feels like the abyss is also looking into me.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Bitcoin was released in 2009.

In 2010 it was worth $0.09, today, 12 years later, its worth close to $30,000.

Not saying its likely to be that dramatic, or that it wont crash and never come back, no one knows the future, just really odd for someone knowing the history or able to see the history to say someone is stupid to expect any crypto currency to become worth more by holding. Its possible it wont, no different then stocks, and nothing stupid about it, but yes, a risk.

In all honesty you sound like the same people who said people were stupid for thinking bitcoin would ever get to $100, or $1000, or $2000, or $5000, the list goes on and on and on and it appears that every time people who claim to be "smarter" and that "this and that will never happen so to think it will means you are stupid", they prove themselves wrong yet never admit or change their tune about it.

11. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    99.99% of the people on this forum hate miners.

KissSh0t likes this.
  12. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    @Aura89 he invested the money he expects to leave for his grandchildren on a highly volatile thing. That's the stupid I was referring too.
    @TheDeeGee yes, I'm anti something that keeps ruining the economy as a hole and forcing companies to raise prices on their services because hardware is so much more expensive.
    Death of my gaming dreams is the least sad part about all of this, everything from the food that's on your plate to what you pay for health care is getting more expensive because of mining.
    I believe people should be free to do whatever they want with their money. But when personal and corporate greed ruins our livelihood, people should be pissed.
    I'm very glad my grandpa didn't depend on something like crypto to have money for his retirement!

13. chocoaddict

chocoaddict Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Trio
    I'm not into crypto mining or even defending them or anything but I just curious about what you wrote. How tf exactly crypto mining raised the price for your food and health care? I live in 3rd world country so I may not understand living in the 1st world country. Here, every price have been steadily climbing even before semiconductor shortage, now the crude oil price hike and incoming global recession are worsening it.

14. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    @chocoaddict companies need GPUs to work. The number of GPUs used for work is significantly higher than for gaming, so you can imagine the impact on other industries.
    Now, what do companies need GPUs for? Simple example, to draw parts on software like solidworks and have CNC machines make those parts.
    How does that make food more expensive? Because to make a tractor (or parts to repair it) you need molds and parts made on a CNC machine, that had to be drawn on software using a powerful GPU.
    Now, if a GPU costs 4 times more (and its durability is not the same it was 15 years ago, ya that's another topic), companies need to invest much more on hardware. The cost adds up.
    Everything you can imagine that is made on a large scale industrially was probably drawn on a computer with a GPU first.
    Health care needs machines and other stuff made by CNC too. And to make new medicine you can study proteins and other things by using GPU compute power.

Airbud likes this.
  15. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Oh look, one billion market cap niche market is destroying the whole world. Not the corrupted elites, wars, plandemic, unlimited production of money, inflation, no. Its ((( crypto )))

16. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    People like you were saying this back in 2016 now I am not going to tell you how many I bought back then, and starting mining, but so far the joke is on you not me.

17. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    100% correct! People that think the Democrat party is your daddy or grandpa's party still is beyond wreckless! If these people can't see what's going on, they are blind and just don't want to admit their party is tyrannical.. Its funny, they said Trump was going to do exactly what they are doing now. Republicans aren't great either. I wish we could start over with real american's in office, not politicians just wanting power and trying to get rich,people that actually love the U.S. and do the right things for the people. We keep voting these corrupt people in and all they do is oppress us, you can't make it up. They tax the hell out of us and then spend our money on stupid crap that doesn't even matter.. Don't even get me going on climate change\global warming\green house effect. They have only changed the name of that 20 times.. Wonder why? Maybe these people should live in Montana ect... and then tell me in the winter about global warming.. :rolleyes: