Nvidia kills GTX285, GTX275, GTX260 (rumor) abandoning High/Mid Market?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pagusas, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    yeah I'd hate for all the nVidia fanboys to have to hear an arguement from the other side. Seriously, if you can't stand ATI's drivers then fine, but they are not nearly as bad as you say they are. Both ATI and nVidia have had driver problems in the past, but both seem to be doing fairly well in recent years. The launch drivers for the 5800s are surprisingly stable.

the problems you are talking about seem to be more of a developer problem than a video driver problem anyway - if they can't detect the video hardware properly, it's not the cards fault, especially considering there are limited instances of this problem

2. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Guest

GPU:
    Titan V
    Cant speak about memory leaks but i can speak about how from c and c generals up to cnc3, the games dont launch without editing the games .ini files, and this is to just launch the game, not get it playable. Hmmm what else... Jdoom, Jhexen engines (open gl), glquake, quake2, quake3... Rise of Legends, actualy the jdoom thing reminds me about if the game isnt popular or preprogrammed into the drivers, the game will not work.

Keep in mind none of this ever happens on my nvidia cards. Not even my TNT2 has problems like this launching games, unless its a game that has a DX version it doesnt support obviously.

Its a sad day when people choose to ignore or lie about these problems than talk about them so maybe ATI can get off their arses and fix them, because it isnt just me either. All my friends that swear by ATI also try and ignore/sweep these issues under the rug and then just say something like... butt butt my 3dmark score !

Drivers improved obviously, but they dont seem to care about legacy games at all, and thats a problem. Linux support is also, well nevermind.

3. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    1. The memory issues are accounted for on the AMD forums, in multiple apps, and especially the realtech-vr opengl extension viewer, which by any standards would know exactly how to detect VRAM in ATI's drivers.

2. The First issue that reared its ugly head was Poly/Triangular black holes which occured in Geometry.
    Once that was fixed (reproduction range spanned from Catalyst 7.5-8.2 iirc)
    The Second issue, from then on was the failure to report the available Texture memory to the system.

3. OpenGL provides 2 or 3 extensions designed to allow an application to correctly detect and address the available texture memory. as of today only 1 of those extensions is functioning properly.

4. Over the last 24 months, a number of ATI users have reported OpenGL games to be failing with the freshly built systems, with no reason at all.
    Of those users, 1/4 were found to be missing the Registry Key which tells the System where to find the OpenGL ICD.

5. When you can get the same Texture formats to work across S3, Intel, PowerVR and Nvidia chips, but they don't work on ATI, its definitely NOT a developer or implementation error in the application.

Test Reference - Serious sam in OpenGL mode.
    6600GT faster than HD3650 o_O

I've been following Art's crusade to get AMD to fix this issue since last year, and still there are issues

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  4. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    Huh? You all 295 owners are so jealous! there is no way 295 can win. It got some 8fps extra for now and thats gonna change:mad2:

5. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Guest

GPU:
    Titan V
    Correction. Theres no way ANY radeon can win, because it cant launch the games to even play them :bang:

:nerd:

6. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    bet i couldn't even get homeworld 1 to run on ATI's current drivers :p.

Homeworld 1 was written for OpenGL but had a Direct3D wrapper written for it by the dev's, however it requires functions that are no longer present in the driver so the moment you open one of the fullscreen system managers the game lags like crazy. OpenGL mode only runs if you force homeworld to nt4 compatibility and runs 20x faster.

.....actually im going to install that tomorrow and will find out how badly ati's current drivers make it perform.

7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    eh? what is it today with complete and utter drivel.

i can run all my games better than i have done ever. period. if u are on linux or trying to run old games well that's another thing.

nothing at all whatsoever to do with current ati drivers and their new cards.

homeworld 1...omg squall is that your attempt to show us that ati is crap cos it doesnt run one game. seriously this is a joke right?

sweet jesus i just used wiki and homeworld 2 is 2003...so 1 must be older. we are in 2009 now boyo. get real. really.:bang:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  8. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    I can't help but be biased towards older games which were focused on gameplay rather then the GFXwhore crowd :p.

But no, i only just thought of trying homeworld just then, the Quake 3 engine is effected too and alot of people still use that with W:ET and Trine.

I have Savage and Savage 2 that i can try as well, and those are relatively recent.

Though this is where the seperation between gamer, and poser forms, Gamers will play anything, while posers are suckered into the latest and greatest, and think they are top dogs because they have the latest stuff :biggun:

9. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    There is a lot to improve in drivers. And you can get like 15%-20% performance with those improvements. :stewpid:

10. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    right you are basing your view on ati in regards older games problems and therefore it doesnt have much correlation with a discussion about current gpus. so as i quite rightly observed your views about ati are based on history not current fact or trends.

in other words drivel. by all means go ahead and prove that ati has issues with a game from from pre 2003 i for one quite frankly couldnt give a monkeys! i care about how my current games run and want the best bang for buck regardless as to which company makes them.

it annoys me when people (not mentioning names) come and start posting things that are based on either fanboyism, speculation, other forums, benchmarks, past experiences.

11. Gromuhl'Djun

Gromuhl'Djun Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070ti
    What a flamefest....... Nvidia cards can't run Gothic 2 in windows 7. Ati can. There is always something wrong somewhere with either brand -> why constantly flaming because there's an Ati card faster than your GTX275......sigh

12. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.