Nvidia kills GTX285, GTX275, GTX260 (rumor) abandoning High/Mid Market?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pagusas, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    lol its a neverending story :D

2. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    5870X2 will nearly consume as much as 295 with atleast 3X performance.

Please don't make this another thread like before. Even though 295 may be 25% faster, in course of time when drivers improve the difference will minimize. So, 5870 wins. There is no way 3870X2 can win against 275/285. Its the same way comparing these two.

Yes, ATI drivers have improved. I do agree during 3xxx series they were bad. They still think it is bad but not:3eyes:

3. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    the 5870 is a better card and i have had both. you can either believe me or not.

(fps are up with the 295 and it's cooler by a long way. 32c on idle and never gets over 70c mostly. fans on 35. with a 295 u needed 60 percent fan speed which was a whole lot noisier. plus sli headaches).

295 is still a good card but 5870 v 295 is a no-brainer for me sorry. and am not saying that to be a jerk. honest truth.

4. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    AF isn't meant to reduce flicking in the first place. its works in combination with AA to remove aliasing, while preventing the massive Blur caused by Bi/Tri Linear filtering.

Shimmering is caused by an unclamped mipmap Bias.

It also may occur since Anisotropic Sample Optimisation is enabled by default., so turning that off may help.

If it still occurs, then the Driver contains a LoD Bias which you can raise to +.5 this should fix the shimmering.

If you use Nhancer, then the Negative lod clamper must be enabled manually.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009

5. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Exactly.:infinity:

6. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    Better card is the card that gives more fps.:rock:

When the 5870x2 comes out (that I am going to buy it of course) many trolls will say that the 5870 or GTX380 are better cards than the 5870x2 just because it isn’t a single card.

These days if you want to enjoy games one single card is not enough.

7. kid-goku

kid-goku Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon HD 4890
    um, no? does that mean you'll buy a card that beats the crap out of every other card on the FPS front but consumes 800W on its own? (i know its not realistic but i was just trying to give an example :p)

the card that wins is the one that has a better overall performance/price/power consumption IMO

8. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    quality + fps.

speedfreaks and gfxwhores need to be put to pasture :p

9. otaku

otaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800,640gts sli
    i have to say i wouldnt mind if ati or nvidia just put out mid end cards that played the games at normal ress ect then passed on the savings made to gamers

10. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    quality plus fps? both companies do that...

11. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Does ATI's memory leak in opengl games count as a feature or a bug......

12. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    ? i have absolutely no idea what u are talking about, i'll be happy to listen to what it is. I havent noticed anything going on with my 5870 re memory leaking.

i suspect you are talking myth rather than fact..

point is u are implying nvidia has quality and fps and ati not. that's completely absurd. i have owned both and currently prefer my 5870 over anything i have owned.

if nvidia had released a similar card at the same time roughly the same price i might have gone nvidia. fact is it didnt.

13. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Google Search - Catalyst OpenGL memory leak

if its not leaking memory in one driver, its that the VBuffer isn't detected properly by OpenGL apps in the next.

14. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Using Ati Catalyst driver version 9.4 and above, we encounter a major memory leak; mainly when using lots and lots of objects. In one of our games called Mahjong Mountain, during gameplay the game leaks about 2 to 3 megabytes per second! On older driver versions, or on other video cards, no problems occur. We also tried a different (smaller) codebase using some random on/off switching of lights, which also resulted in a memory leak (on a 4870x2 using Catalyst 9.8).

mahjong mountain = never heard of it.

I'm developing game with OpenGL.

When Catalyst 9.3 is installed, there is no memory leak.

But from 9.4, Application memory is going up crazy (about 300k per second)

It must be the driver bug, because there is no memory leak on NVidia.

Please check this now.

Other peoples complains about this."

this sounds like its isolated incidents and nothing at all 2 get worried about. the 295 has sli issues with certain games.

i dont get your point. so 295 has some sli issues..so ati has some memory leaks...

we all know there are driver issues. so ati doesnt have quality and fps because a few people have complained about memory leaks? i dont see many incidents of it in the ati section here at guru! and i have been here at least a yr and dont remember it being a major problem.

so squall stop posting drivel m8. i mean that in a nice way. :)

only an nvidiot would make some crappy comment about memory leaking being a complete disaster for ati.

i tell u what if i am wrong and i have to post because of some "memory leaking" i'll be the first to apologise. am done with this nonsense.

(here are some more comments)

when i had the 9,3-9,4-9,5 i had this problem in all games (emulator games and pc games) = emulator games...

Same problem with the last nvidia drivers.. have to downgrade from 186 to 182 heres my link to the problem http://forums.dolphin-emu.com/thread-2693.html

(happening on nvidia it seems as well).

15. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Well, theres more then just a memory leak but i figure the developers i know won't be bothered signing up here to post PoC code to show off the issues they've come across in the drivers.

ATI's too busy stuffing 3.2 into the drivers making people think they actually give a rats about OGL, when the majority of the issues won't get addressed by adding in new stuff.

:p but if its fps you want, nvidia is consistent across every opengl title, application and demo, while ATI chokes on second life and any other app which attempts to detect the available opengl Texture memory available.

16. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    What the frack I have had quite a few AMD cards and now have the HD 5870 CF and only memory leak I have is this threads bs flowing out of my ear.

Not saying HD5 drivers are 100% perfect as they are, heck they are the launch drivers. I haven't got any major driver related failure yet with my CF (BSODs, CTDs etc), which is very good feat from Catalyst driver team.

17. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    anyone care for :spam:?

18. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    If you guys can't handle the truth about ATI's drivers you're free to leave the nvidia section of the board :)

and with that i'll go out with a PoC

Code:
     case GR_TEXFMT_ARGB_1555:
                    if (ati_sucks > 0) return -1; // ATI sucks as usual (fixes slowdown on ATI)
                    factor = 2;
                    *gltexfmt = GL_RGB5_A1;
                    *glpixfmt = GL_BGRA;
                    *glpackfmt = GL_UNSIGNED_SHORT_1_5_5_5_REV;
                    break;

19. GC_PaNzerFIN

GC_PaNzerFIN Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 + AC Xtreme
    Man I have had 8 NVIDIA graphics cards this year. 3rd and 4th ATi card now this year. So yeah we dun no nothing.... whispers in the wind...

20. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    how do you go through them so fast?

But anyway... The memory leak appears to be in a specific OGL2 extension (Post processing somewhere), which is why its probably never picked up by anyone, since not many OGL titles actually use that, its a function thats more used in 3D Rendering and Emulation.

As for that PoC code posted above, its not something an end user will come across (i hope) since OpenGL devs don't tend to wait on ATI to fix it (it'll never happen) so they just work around it themselves with texture format hacks, or defining the memory requirement statically, via a manual entry text box in the app somewhere.

Second Life, and Petes OGL2 are examples of the Auto detection failing to work app's where the texture usage changes dynamically can't have a predetermined VRAM amount to use applied, unlike titles like Doom, where the game has a general idea about how much the textures will take up when set to full quality.

My Brothers been pissy lately since UTGOTYE keeps crashing on his ati laptop, was fine with 9.3, but anything lower has issues with D3DRM (Retained Mode, which is actually not supported in Win7 without copying the D3DRM.dll file from XP) where the entire screen flickers until you reach the actual gameplay. 9.9 fixed that which made my eyes happy :p.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.