Nvidia kills GTX285, GTX275, GTX260 (rumor) abandoning High/Mid Market?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pagusas, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    Do you ever get it right? 295 has 2 times power consumption and has 2 chips running in SLI. On the other hand 5870 has half the power consumption with the same performance. When drivers improve the '10%' performance will be equalled. And single card = smooth gameplay, less heat issues, less power consumption. 5870 supports DX11. And 295 is 100$ more. So, 5870 wins from every aspect while 295 sucks. They should actually not be compared.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  2. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    Stop being rude…
    The power consumption is irrelevant to hardcore gamers.
    I agree with that in a 3-6 mouths time things will be different with better drivers for 5800 series, games with DX11 support. But for now the GTX295 is a faster card and also very stable.
    Yes, the GTX295 is just too expensive now almost the same price as it cost in the release date. There is no point to get a GTX295 now, the 5870x2 and GTX300series are only a few mouths away. But back then in January the GTX295 was Best Bang for Buck! 499 € while the 4870x2 was 469 € and the GTX260 was 250 €. Personally I own my GTX295 from the first day of release and I am very happy with it is very stable card with out any issues, OC very well, and insane performance.
    What heat issues? I have my GTX295 (with 10% OC) with out any heat issues.
    That is a myth that needs to die.
    Just lol on that…

3. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Stop lying.
    There are plenty of games that do not support SLI very well.
    Just because the hottest FPS games support it, doesn't mean every game does.

And nvidia isn't even good at putting the propper SLI settings into the game profiles, so to get some games to run better you need to tweak them.
    Latest sets even miss some of the older SLI options that makes some game run better, so now you even need a tool to tweak that.

Not to mention the failure of removing mipmap user control.
    Some games are better with it, some better without.

4. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    maybe its the fact that Anisotropy can do it better then Trilinear mipmapping?

5. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    Huh? Did you read LeadHead's thread? You get better answers there. Everyone do care about power consumption. You are just defending 295 for you got one. You might have no issues, but single card is far better than a dual-card. And 295 for the extra 8 frames? :crapper:

6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    what you talking about 7900 series being nvidia worst. THat was the 5#00 series not the 7#00 series.

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    It still does not justify removing it when it's still useful for some games since AF alone does not reduce flickering/shimmering on them.

But at least nHancer can override and fix that for now.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Hilbert's reviews look too much like unbiased reviews to ignore....makes for some very interesting and informative reading. It's exactly how a review SHOULD be written. Wish more reviewers were more like Hilbert.

LedHed, even for being an avid supporter of nVidia, is very good about giving people accurate information. We've bumped heads a few times, but he's definitely not ignorant of the facts. He has a GTX295 and admits they're not perfect....also admits multi-GPU solutions in general still have some issues to be worked out.

Given the complexities of writing drivers for multi-GPU solutions, single GPU solutions will always be better in some regard. nVidia and ATI are working out the "bugs" associated with multi-GPU solutions, but it's going to take time, and with new architectures being added into the mix regularly...it's going to be a long road before multi-GPU solutions are as reliable as single-GPU solutions.

9. jmpnop

jmpnop Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 260 Core 216
    No offense, just told him to read the thread..

10. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    Well if you want to spend more money and use more power then sure that's up to you, but I think majority of people like to spend less money on "newer" technology, use less power for a little less performance is the way to go.

My opinion.

11. dmanna80

dmanna80 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    absolutly. And lol that hardcore gamers dont care about power. I am just about as hardcore as it gets when it comes to gaming, but I also have to work and pay bills. And I wasnt comparing the 4870x2 to the gtx295 i was comparing the 5870 to the gtx 295, just an fyi. Multi gpu configurations are not as reliable as a single... its not a myth at all bud. I personally would trade a 4870x2 or a gtx 295 for a single 5870 right now hands down. And then add another one later. But I am gonna wait and see what nvidia offers I am very intrigued as to how this is all gonna play out.

12. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
  13. dudecat64

dudecat64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock rx 6750xt
    Yeah but is it worth $70 for at most 10% difference in fps. Not really considering the power output and heat the 295 puts out compared to the 5870. Most reviews i have read have a hard time req'd 295/4870x2 over the 5870. Anandtech did a great review of the 5870/5850 and they had hard time convincing people to buy 295/4870x2 over the 5870/5850's. I am just going by the reviews i have read.

14. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    10%?? I think you mean more like 20-30% in SLI/CF titles:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just to show a few that aren't neck and neck, only like 3 of the tests does the 5870 show any kind of lead over the 295 and these are not Multi-GPU optimized games. I'm not trying to argue the 295 is the better card to buy, but if we are talking performance only it is the card to own currently; unless you play only Non-SLI/CF games.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5870_2.html#sect0

15. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    Beside's HAWX, can you honestly notice a 10-15 fps difference when your above 60 fps? If the game run's smooth, like keep more than 30 fps, then who care's if you can get little more frames per second by spending $240 more. Not worth it.

So again, my opinion as of now, I think there is really no reason to buy a GTX295 over a ATI 5870. My next card will be a ATI one for sure since the price is more reasonable than nvidia's(new cards).

16. ARMYguy

ARMYguy Guest

GPU:
    Titan V
    As always, the better card is not the fastest. Its the card that has the best drivers. Every generation of cards ATI puts out i buy and then take back just to see how bad the drivers are (still). I havent gotten the new 5xxx series yet, but i doubt the drivers magically stopped sucking over night.

before anyone complains, no i dont think me having to hack game .ini files and playing around with settings just to get games a few years old to launch is a good show of drivers. Since i play mostly old games, this effects me.

I am sure i cant be the only one who buys graphics cards for drivers over performance, but perhaps i am. I dont even need to talk Linux support.

17. wlw_wl

wlw_wl Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6850 non-Toxic
    They haven't even fixed the drivers for the 48xx series yet, so hee hee sureee...

18. avivoni

avivoni Ancient Guru

GPU:
    560ti 448 classified
    when the ati 5870x2 is released it will be 10 to 30% faster than the gtx295 and will consume double that the power of the 295. wonder what will be said then.

19. dmanna80

dmanna80 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    if its only 10-20% faster than the 295 it wouldnt be worth it. It will be faster than that and idle power way lower than the 295. And we still have to take into account that the drivers will enhance the performance of the 5870's in the coming months. If its any indication of the 4xxx series, the drivers will greatly improve the performance.

MY 4870x2 drivers since 9.6 have been fantastic.. I dont understand where all the hate comes from. The one thing Iwill say though is sometimes I have problems with shadows flickering when set them to high in a couple games, but nothings broken. Vista 64 sp2 cat. 9.6 and up its been smooth sailing. I am in no hurry to upgrade to the next gen because all the games I play or will play in the near future my current card is more than adequate.

20. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    I think it's pretty obvious GT300X2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.