Nvidia kills GTX285, GTX275, GTX260 (rumor) abandoning High/Mid Market?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pagusas, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. baby_UTE

baby_UTE Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 9800GT SLI
    lolz thats me, ATI fail me once amd well never again.

2. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    His entire premise is wrong.
    That's like claiming the sun will burn out tomorrow and giving all your reasons why it will. Then, when it doesn't occur, saying well I'm right because it will eventually burn out.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    response from Nvidia

"
    Hi Kyle,

Thanks for asking.

There is no truth to this. Charlie has become a sponsored site of his sole advertiser. It's no coincidence his website looks like an AMD ad.

Please let your readers know, and let us know if you have any more questions.

Thanks.
    "
    http://www.hardocp.com/news/2009/10/07/nvidia_abandons_market6363636363

LOL

4. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I agree.
    Actually, even though I currently own an Nvidia card, I'm gonna buy an ATi next because I do not agree with Nvidia's business practises.

But on the other hand, I'm glad that many people still go the Nvidia route - the more competitors on the market, the lower the prices. And that's good for all of us - for both the neutrals and the ones who favor either ATi or Nvidia.

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I simply pointed out the fact that GT200 will in fact, get EOL'd at some point in the future. Not trying to start an argument over it.

Also no wonder why a lot of reviews look like nVidia ads....

What part of their business practice do you have problems with? Buying technology then claiming to have developed it? Lieing to consumers about known problems with products? Overpricing products? Making media assaults on future competing products before anyone ever sees them? These are things every business does from time to time. Every company looks for any advantage they can possibly get....including Intel, AMD/ATI, and every other business.

6. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Thats why i rely on Hilberts reviews :thumbup:

7. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    Jeez if I stopped buying vidcards from a company just because it failed me once I'd have no card at all atm.

8. buddyfriendo

buddyfriendo Guest

GPU:
    2070 Super
    This.

9. WhiteLightning

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    i woudnt have a pc. everything will fail at one point lol

10. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Considering how the 5870 failed to beat the GTX295, i'd say nvidia is sitting pretty. Fermi will trash the GTX295 and thus leave ATI well and truly in the dust.

Then of course ATI will try and catchup with 5870X2 only to be double trashed by the Fermi GX2. It's all about performance. The 5870's are good cards but they are not the BEST. I've tried both sides of the market and have honestly found nvidia to win every time when it comes to performance. And performance is what matters in the gaming world.

I'm still seeing plenty of GTX260/275/285/295's on etailers websites. But i wouldn't blame nvidia if they stopped shipping more of those cards and concetrated on manufacturing their 300 series ones. It'd be an intelligent move. Clear out ur old stock and place ur capitol on a new series of cards that will white wash the market in a few months time.

11. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Same, no way I stick a Chrome video card in my comp. Since it be one I never used that havent fail me yet.

12. v4npro

v4npro Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7900XT
    I think it's more about Price/Performance ratio than just Performance with a ridiculous price. Also, 5870 did beat the gtx295 on some tests and again, duel gpu vs. single gpu, hrmm......

13. Karl 2

Karl 2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 295
    I'm with V4npro on this one. Ever since its founding ATi has never really been about "beating" competitors at the performance level, their strategy was and still is aimed at offering a better value and somewhat more stable performance, at the expense of cutting-edge novelty. Sure ATi did secure the performance crown on several occasions but IMHO that was more incidental than the result of a deliberate effort, and mainly occurs when nVidia runs into development issues such as what happened when nVidia launched its worst series (7900, what were they thinking) against one of ATi's greatest (1900).

That said, it is just as possible to fail at offering "almost as fast for quite less" as it is at providing top performance. ATi's 2900 series for example, was not a good value. Decent card, but expensive for the sluggish performance it offered. This was not a competitive product and no one at nVidia lost any sleep over it. It's different now though, the 5870 is a very fast card for the money, it's certainly faster than any current nVidia card except for the GTX 295. However the minor performance loss over the latter (which is probably hardly noticeable in actual gaming) does not warrant the price difference, and there is still a gain in stability.

I like my card but I would probably be just as happy with a 5870.

14. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    if true, then could be very problematic. Could explain the constant renaming of cards. However, it will spell trouble to the industry as a whole. Therefore, I'm treating this as a rumour.

deltatux

15. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    You can tell he is against Nvidia. Nvidia bashing aside, there are some truth in his article with lots of speculation and spinning. Nvidia's single GPU card can't compete with ATi's latest single GPU card but are more expensive. The only thing that win over ATi's 5800 series is the 295GTX but that card is way more expensive than 5870 (Ati's best card for now).

To compete, Nvidia would need to lower their price OR cutting the production of these card (not ending it immediately but fading out eventually when Fermi out/re-branding the last card as something else).

16. dmanna80

dmanna80 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5870
    ummm dude, you have to be a very silly fanboy to say that. The GTX 295 is a last gen part that consumes a boat load of power and its more expensive than a 5870... it might be slightly faster in more titles but cmon seriously? And comparing dual gpu's to single gpu cards is kinda stupid? As an owner of a dual gpu board sometimes there is a headache here and there. I mean overall I love my board but if I had a choice I would take a 5870 right now. The ATI driver problems that alot of people claim I have not experianced. And I would be willing to bet alot of those so called driver problems are simply user error. Not saying there drivers are perfect but every game I have thrown at my 4870x2 barring crysis has been just about flawless with a minor shadow problem here and there.

17. Squall Leonhart

Squall Leonhart Banned

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 275 896
    Thats because you are neither a developer or interested in Emulation of the PSX or Gamecube.

18. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    if someone wants top end performance right now why is it so silly to buy the fastest single card GPU in the market?

Just a FYI the 295 draws less power than the 4870X2.

19. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    He was talking about 5870...

GTX295 is the fastest (narrowly) dual GPU card on the market with almost twice the price and consumes way more power.

20. michaelmk86

michaelmk86 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX1080
    If you are a hardcore gamer the only thing that matters is performance. The GTX295 is still 10-15% faster than the 5870, not to mention that the gtx295 is 9 months old and ati still cannot beat the GTX295.
    Every game have a proper SLI supports this days…

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.