NVIDIA keynote and GeForce RTX 40 GPU / DLSS 3.0 announcements

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 20, 2022.

1. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    4060 at 499$ with 8gb vram. Cant wait. :D

Airbud, aufkrawall2 and Fediuld like this.
  2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    If it's too expensive for EVGA, shouldn't that clue you into why everyone is moaning? Nvidia themselves is where all the profits are going, and I'm sure they figured the profit margin was only going to get bigger.
    It has been explained in another thread that pricing has traditionally not been proportionate with performance increase. There are times when Nvidia had significant leaps in performance but pricing maybe only went up a small amount, if even went up at all.
    If Nvidia intends to just shift the performance tiers down a couple notches, where for example a 4050 non-Ti becomes a solid 1440p 60FPS GPU (without DLSS) and has a price tag below $300 then perhaps there's nothing to gripe about. But judging by the looks of things, it looks like everything is going to be overpriced, regardless of what it can do.

Airbud, Meathelix1, carnivore and 2 others like this.
  3. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    technically lovely and goes toe to toe with M2 for circuit density.

like everyone is saying the pricing is insane which only means (besides "greed" which can't be quantified) the yield is crap.
    i'm taking as a given the increased onboard power means more/better VRMs and thicker pcb. then you add in the TSMC "tax" for this node...
    so yes, more expensive but not enough for the MSRP.

whether the early adopters gobble these up really depends on the hands on reviews. the fanboys are buying anyways, but early adopters vastly outnumber them.
    these are a lot of card to handle and unless you either have solar or live where electricity is cheap the ongoing cost of use and maintenance will be significant particularly if you go with an Intel proc.

to me this leaves an opening in the market for AMD to come right in.
    regardless of whether or not AMD has ultimate supremacy this gen, we know that it will be superior to Ampere. i don't doubt the 7900XT will be expensive but i'm pretty darn sure AMD will play games with the price point to be well below the 4090 and so on.

4. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Considering nVidias Gross Margin was at 67% Q1 (it's down a bit now in Q2, sure) I wouldn't exactly say they sell the chips at no profit.

eGGroLLiO, moo100times and schmidtbag like this.

5. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Except for the 4090, which i honestly expected would have been priced higher. It's the only gpu in the 4000 lineup that makes sense, and im preordering a 4090 strix as soon as they go live.

Maddness likes this.
  6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Yes, that does seem like a super scummy move... cause obviously it will run on turing and ampere aswell...

7. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    this is just a simple builder's rant:

all of the AIB versions to date are all four slot solutions, this sucks slimy slugs.
    just when there are finally three slot ITX cases on the market.
    plus, forgive me for being old enough to want my PCIe slots for anything other than a GPU.
    if AMD comes with the same approach (doubtful) i'll say the same thing

8. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Anybody that paid £2500 for a 3090 will be more than happy with a 4090 for half that. I paid nearly £1500 for a 6900xt, didnt bother me as it was the price when i bought it, if it did bother me then guess what, i wouldnt have bought it.
    Why doesnt anybody have an issue if somebody pays £10 for a packet of cigeretts and £7 for a pint, both of which go up in price constantly, but screem NOOOOOOOOOOOO if somebody id happy to spend coin on a new GPU.

Picolete likes this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If the game is using dlss3 is it possible turing/ampere owners are left behind not being able to use it at all? So you'd have to have rtx40 gpu.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    They would get the benefits of DLSS 2 and not the interpolation feature.

How do you know that to be the case? You have a fixed amount of time to run the tensor operations, get the result and spit it out or else you're not improving framerates. The new chips have nearly 4x the tensor performance as ampere. How do you know that performance isn't required to perform both the DLSS 2.0 operations and the interpolation?

To be clear I'm not saying that ampere/turing can't get this feature.. just that merely supporting tensors doesn't mean you get limitless features on them. Running tensor operations has a cost and you can obviously run way more with significantly faster hardware which may enable more effects/features simultaneously.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    tunejunky, Airbud and Undying like this.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    As far as I'm concerned, it's not ITX anymore if you need 3 slots. Might as well just save yourself some money and go micro ATX since those boards are cheaper and those cases have more room. And you're going to need the room because there's not likely to be many SFX PSUs that can power this.

As for AMD, in the past when they went overkill with power draw, they just did an AIO cooler. I think that makes more sense than this 4-slot nonsense.

Airbud and Fediuld like this.
  12. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    They even run ads on the video? Just wow.
    I was looking to 4070, to replace 1080Ti, but not anymore, thanks Nvidia.

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Had to check that, holy crap, guess I'm done with getting any future games that will require the horsepower, might even end up saying frack gaming.

Solfaur, Fediuld and wavetrex like this.
  14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You can still do it next year. Im also thinking replacing 2080super with 4070 but as things are going it will priciest x70 class gpu ever produced.

tunejunky and Fediuld like this.
  15. Slikar

Slikar Guest

GPU:
    GTX970 WF3
    the price difference between 80 and 90 models is crazy compared to 30 series, but they aren't stupid as people were buying at triple msrp just a while ago, so why not? i wonder what actual 4070 price and specs could possibly be? a cut down 104 chip with 160bit 10gb, or 12gb gddr6 non x 192bit, they would be pissing on us with less than 12 gb

16. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
  17. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Bets on DLSS 3.0 on 30 series before 2024?

18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well, Nvidia has just lost me with those crazy prices.

A last hour rebadged 4070 (4080 12gb) that starts at 1.100€ in Portugal?!

That`s fu****** insane!!!

My current rig cost me around 1.250€, with a 1070 included...

It seems my only chance to upgrade my GPU is to find a 3080/6800xt with great discounts or maybe get lucky again on Guru`s christmas contest...

19. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    No DLSS 3 on RTX 3090 feels like a kick in the teeth. I hope they either get it working on 3XXX or at least make a newer version for 3000 series owners.

20. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    I love the Aorus design but I can't imagine how much this would cost in UK/Europe considering how much more this premium card normally costs over the standard NVidia card. With import + VAT@23% + importer shops markup.... this is going to be absolutely horrendous... will pass the two and a half thousand Euro mark for sure.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
    Fediuld likes this.