Nvidia is deliberately downgrading kepler gpu's performance in favor of Maxwell.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Angrycrab, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    oh I thought it was just this game^

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Bonk

I didnt see much diff on my old q9450 vs 4770k so not really..

Yes it likess mem so its true what i said that compression cant keep up... i also mentioned which games there it still lags.. dirt4, hitman absolution, cod ghosts, and few more..

3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
  4. Dorlor

Dorlor Banned

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Indeed it is - 780 ti should be on par with a 290x, but is slower than a 290.

This has nothing to do with Maxwell optimization (as it performs as normal vs the amd Cards), but rather lack of optimization for kepler (or downright intentional downgrading of performance).

5. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    It could be application related.

I lost fps on my 770GTX when BF4 got updated, not when I installed newer drivers.

6. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    I just wait for The Division the next Gameworks Game.
    There we will the same shiit, again.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    My son finished that game on this rig at least 3 times, on several different drivers, all maxed with 4x txaa with phenominal performance @1440p.

8. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI

Will i'm bang into FC4 just at this minute as never got around to playing when was released , and i must say that gameplay is smooth and getting good fps about 85 to 100 maxed out setting but no AA not real needed @ 2560x1400p @ 144hz so theres no problem there for me .

However this thing about Kepler Gpu,s is very concerning, if this was found to be true will damage the nvidia brand beyond repair.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Ok i expressed myself wrong. It was not bad but Kepler had that strange performance, 780 was in par with 280X, 780ti behind 970 and 290X.

It was one of the first games, some members here (including me), Dorlor said something isnt right and look at this threads now...

I had some arguing with southamptonfc about his 780ti being slower than 970 all of a sudden, he basically told me i'm an idiot. You should see his last few posts now. :D

10. adrock311

adrock311 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC 8gb
    I think its great that people don't let Nvidia get away with this crap, keep up the good work, OP.

11. Seketh

Seketh Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I'll just leave this here:

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    +1. Like the way the last 500MB in the 970 performed a lot more slowly, this might also be true. Hope the dumb fanboys aren't loud enough.

13. Spenty

Spenty Active Member

GPU:
    Titan X @ 1500/8000
    This thread is nonsense.

All you're seeing is driver improvements on Maxwell that shows a bigger gap, it happens on every generation of cards.

Some drivers you will lose performance on some games, that even happens on Maxwell.

nVidia know they got away with the 970 fiasco, they aren't stupid enough to intentionally gimp cards performance and expect to get away with it, they know now there's plenty of people in the industry that will catch them out.

14. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I'm not so sure if its intentionally gimping but more like shoving the older gen away.

I think its stupidly ridiculous how a 960 is in theory absolute **** compared to a 280x and my GTX 680 but still manages to beat it.

15. gringopig

gringopig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    Well, someone told me I was stupid and didn't 'deserve' a GTX780Ti in that thread, so I don't think the behaviour is any better. I find this forum to be much more informed and reasoned in fact.

I have a GTX 780 Ti for which I paid a fair amount not that long ago, so I have bought the ticket for the fun fair ride. However, I think that this 'controversy' is totally and absolute nonsense with so much misinformed guff flying about from people who believe Nvidia have in some way dropped support for the 780/780Ti variants just because a support pdf contained an error or they can't remember the 6000/7000 series cards (or are too new to PC gaming to have even heard of cards older that the GTX series).

Look at the benchmarks for W3 published today by our very own Hilbert. So when claims are made about a 960 totally wiping the floor with a 780Ti, you have to wonder how reasoned is the thinking. Maybe just stirring the pot of controversy? Maybe even restating perceived opinion to gain some imagined credence from an overly cynical and misinformed teenage rabble?

Who knows lol.

I paid my money. I expect businesses to produce new technology which surpasses previous technology ( if they didn't I would REALLY be angry lol) and I also expect businesses to want to sell current products, not EOL cards no matter how much someone spent on it last year. Game developers use the latest technology to develop their games, I imagine, and is it really any wonder that the game may slightly favour certain architectures upon release?

hey ho. I disabled Hairworks entirely, set shadows at high and foliage distance to high, pumped everything else up max on 1920x1080 and I'm getting framerates in the region of 50-70ish depending. Perfectly playable.

16. Dorlor

Dorlor Banned

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    It seems like you want to be taken in the arse by nvidia.

Look at the charts, made by hillbert for witcher 3... at 1440p, a 290x gets 39 fps, and a 780 ti gets 32 fps... till not long ago, the 2 gpu's were on par, with the 780 ti even being slightly ahead. With recent titles however, the 780 ti is Falling further and further behind the amd equivelants, unlike the Maxwell Cards, which performs at the same level compared to the amd Cards as they have done all the time since launch.

The 780 ti was released in fall 2013, has a 3 year warrenty, but seems nvidia are already starting to drop the support now...

17. gringopig

gringopig Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti SC
    Taken in the arse?
    Steady on now.
    You look at the market, you make choices based on budget and performance at the time of purchase and if it's PC parts, then expect to repurchase in a short time. Rinse and repeat.

I'm beginning to think this is actually more about perceived 'status', you know that? I think it's all about some feeing that their card (maybe even some projection of ego) is being usurped or being 'left behind' and that it is some insidious plot by a greedy manufacturer to belittle them in favour of their rivals.
    What support is being dropped incidentally? Do the cards not work anymore? Are they not honouring the guarantee?
    Maybe game developers play a part in ensuring performance levels in some way in games perhaps?

Maybe I'm just getting on a bit now but this 'controversy' is a farce.

and that is my personal opinion being an owner of said 'affected' card and therefore holding an entry ticket to the discussion.

I will buy another card as and when I feel the need as we all will and I will buy based on the performance at the time. You cannot complain about minute differences in a card's relative performance on games that come out years after the initial release of the hardware - that's just daft surely?

18. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    What don't you understand about old technology not being supported anymore?
    Just beceause your card still has a warranty doesn't mean that Nvidia has to waste their resources making improvements for discontinued products. New tech is going to get priority and Kepler architecture is several years old now. There is no conspiracy that Nvidia is purposely degrading performance.

19. Dorlor

Dorlor Banned

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    No, that would be your opinion.

780 ti and 290x was released at the same time 1 year ago - till recently they were on par, but with the release of Maxwell, the 780 ti has just fallen further and further behind the 290x.

And honestly, if you think its ok that you buy a product that has a 3 year warrenty, but will only deliever optimal performance for 1 year, then i think you should come to my car shop, cause i got a great deal for you!

20. quickkill2021

quickkill2021 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080ti sli Poseidon

You do realize that no matter what "optimizations" or "efficiency" that a 970 has it will always be slower than a 780 ti. Its called specs. Gpu 1 has lower specs than Gpu 2. Radeon R290X will be about equal to a 780 ti. In fact the 780 Ti should be faster than a R290X. Nvidia released the card after the 290X reveal in order to combat it with a faster card.

"New technology" you have to be joking with me. The 970 and 980 are just more efficient than Kepler that is all. They can match the performance of kepler with fewer cuda cores.

Fact is Nvidia never needed to release the 970 and 980 since both the 780 and the 780 ti are a match for the 290 and 290x. 970 and 980 are more sideway upgrades, they are more efficient and they are slightly faster.

I have a 780 ti sli kingpin at 1359mhz. With everything turned on i get around 70 to 80 fps outdoors, 1080p. During cut scenes its around 60 fps and sometimes drops to 50s when the camera is up close to the main character. Both Gpus are pegged at 97 percent gpu usage.

The issue is even with SLI kingpins I barely manage to get past 60 fps. If i just had 1 780 ti i would be getting probably 30 to 40 fps. 780 ti Kingpins are not that old at all and they use to cost 800 dollars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.