Nvidia is deliberately downgrading kepler gpu's performance in favor of Maxwell.

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Angrycrab, May 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    A risk that they certainly know about, then what ??

W&S or S&W :biggun:

2. Stryfex

Stryfex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080TI SC
    at this point I just want the damn driver update so I can move on with my life

3. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    Perhaps it's a good sign Nvidia is taking some time with it

4. Stryfex

Stryfex Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080TI SC
    can someone tell me what this "news flash" link is? It's blocked at my work and the link doesn't work on my phone because it apparently uses flash...but everyone keeps quoting it so I'm super curious

5. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I agree with this.

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Moderator Staff Member

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    It's just a screen cap of ManuelG saying the driver fixes aren't just limited to The Witcher 3.

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    Considering the state of the Witcher driver I'm prepared to wait, worst driver for driver not responding crashes and video playback since I got my 780ti

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    LOL, worst driver I ever installed. Same crap as you.

9. psychok9

psychok9 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980TI Gaming 6G
    I think that too much people are naive towards companies.
    If nVidia stop to look and patch games "routine" (on the driver), you will get worse performance without any active actions... but with the same effect.

10. kens30

kens30 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 oc
    For the first time ever i am seriously considering to switch to AMD (already looking for their next lineup).
    Nvidia has just gone completely mad with their pricing and support...Lies after lies a i am fed up with them,
    at least AMD has reasonable pricing on their products and it's very good for them too use the same GCN architecture and keep improving it as much as they can,
    until there is a need for a new architecture to be used for more performance.
    I have never paid for a high end Nvidia card and never will if after 1 year is under performing in favor of their new Gpus.
    I have made 1 mistake once buying a gtx 480 which died suddenly with no reason, most likely from the massive heat on the core running at around 90+c most of the time.
    Same goes with AMD with their current GPUs which broke the record of the GTX 480 heat wise.
    One last note for me personally there are not many next gen titles released yet to justify a gpu upgrade so i don't mind waiting at all.

11. BrianJ_64

BrianJ_64 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    If nvidia was intentionally reducing performance, you can test that for yourself:

1) Start the game and benchmark on newest drivers
    2) start the game and benchmark on older drivers.

There's your answer.

12. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    missing the problem of newer games not being optimised which is the issue so nope not any answer and why bother posting if this isint even affecting you? :bang:

13. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I did not believe it at first, but I started looking at the reviews of newer games including The Witcher 3 and a few others, seems like it is just the newer games are affected. ManuelG said they are working on a kepler fix, so there is no need to test anyway. The latest driver, is so unstable on my rig, I did not even bother to test it out.

14. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    honestly GTAV performance is fine for me, some extra FPS would be good, its only when i seen how crap Keplar is performing vs AMD cards and 9 series Nvidia cards in Witcher 3 that i started to get annoyed.

I know my own card so id notice this straight away with new games, but i got a 21:9 34" LG curved screen recently and resolution is 3440x1440 vs my old setup of 5040x1050 in surround or 1650x1050 for demanding games on a single screen so ive been caught off guard.

However saying that, i keep on dialing back settings in Witcher 3 trying to get semi reasonable performance( at least avg 42FPS ) and seeing AMD 280 cards reach 60FPS on mostly ultra settings pisses me off.

LOL@latest driver, feels good that im in a club of it being total $hit haha, used it for a few days, ~2-3 hours a day and it was absolutely awful, rage quit games several times

15. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080TI Gaming editi
    I do hope they will fix everything ,Kepler and maxwell are top performers, exclude super tesselated hairworks, where maxwell excels, Kepler is on par(780+TI).

In no way 280X can ever tie 780, unless it super amd optimized game. on latest games we see Kepler performs really bad, Witcher 3 perform here very bad.

I do think they couldn't miss it, specially on Witcher 3 , nVidia have chance to redeem themselves, a bit.

Though, i kinda lost trust in them.

Also, latest drivers made borderlands pre sequal and starcraft II performance bad, installing 347.88 made it better like it should be.

Last edited: May 27, 2015

16. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    I never trusted them in the begining as i dont with any manufacturer. Honestly and this is a grain in the sand of an ocean ive had less issues with AMD drivers, with multi screen gaming than ive had with Nvidia.

Before my 780Ti the last Nvidia card i had was a 260GTX, with that card Nvidia Control Panel would hang every time i selected 3D settings. Low and behold ~4 years later its still not fixed with a new installation of windows and my 780Ti. Thats not the only issue ive had with Nvidia drivers, just giving an example of something so obvious that never gets fixed.

17. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080TI Gaming editi
    i left AMD because of their driver mainly and inconsistent performance, last card was HD5850 it was good card but performance was up and down.

With nvidia i finally played all games, till Kepler issues start to pop up, very well. but u know i don't know, i don't trust nvidia nor AMD but to screw entire generation so loudly? gotta grab my popcorn first...

18. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    i loved the 5850, never really had any issues with performance, was using it for a while running 3840x1024 without issue, mind had to turn down a few issues. Gpt 2x6970's then, main issue was the delay in crossfire drivers for new games, now that absolutely sucked and negative performance was a regular issue for all new games.

My 780Ti experience is like my 5850 experience tbh, games just worked until this new issue which lets be honest is a big FU from Nvidia. Ill grab my popcorn too.

19. masterchan777

masterchan777 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 OC
    Just a quick update, drivers are being tested and won't be only a fix for The Witcher 3

[​IMG]

Could be released sooner than we might think ...

20. scaramonga

scaramonga Member Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti FTW3 W/C
    ^^we know, it was already posted above^^

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.