NVIDIA ION review [Guru3D]

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Guru3D News

Guru3D News Ancient Guru

One of the most popular and trendy gadgets of 2008 and 2009 are netbooks. Small easy to carry around laptops powered by an Intel Atom processor. While an Atom based netbook is decent enough for browsing...

More...

2. proFits

proFits Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    To read or not to read

Not interested in the product because I really don't see what it's good for
    But at the same time this article could explain it

3. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    lol @ pears :rolleyes: Anyways think i may get one looks cool for a Box on top of the telly.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  4. landofcleve

landofcleve Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870 1G
    Ummm...ever heard of MPC-HC?

http://mpc-hc.sourceforge.net/

At this link you will find the "Media Player Classic - Home Cinema" Edition. Combine this free(forget PowerDVD-bloatware) proggie with the ION and you have what was said to be missed in the article, namely x.264 decoding or high bit rate xvid in a container like mkv over the GPU. Granted ATI's GPU provides more general GPU computing power and will also do VC-1 but then thats why I abandoned nvidia this year among many other treasonous reasons provided me by the big green monster. But back to the MPC-HC, this is really the answer most would want to match up with the ION in my opinion, not too much VC-1 stuff out there anyway. Here's hoping ATI steps up to the plate and shows nvidia how it should be done.

P.S. I am currently running my HTPC with an ATI 3450HD AGP with a AMD Athlon XP 2500+ and 1 Gig of DDR400 RAM and 2.5" 60Gig SATAI drive. I get total fluidity running every kind of HD content from every corner of the net.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I've actually played arround with the MPC HC version a couple of weeks ago. It indeed can utilize shaders 2.0/3.0 in order to enhance certain presets you can enable and can support x.264 DXVA.

However each MVK file has to specifically be optimized and encoded for DXVA support. So .. that's still not native support. What I meant in the article was that vendors like NVIDIA and ATI should simply build in entropy support for bitstream decoding file-containers like x.264

Click on a movie or clip, have it acceleated in WMP or Media Center. That's what everybody really wants.

Everybody on this forum has a class-a grade GPU with a tremendous amount of brute horsepower, I say utlize it ...

6. landofcleve

landofcleve Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870 1G
    I do realize that there are some strict limitations placed on the playability of some files in MPC-HC. But I think that most folks already follow the 'standards' that have been implemented in the program.

The need you speak of I think is one that has only ever been stated by those that have ever been happy with WMP. I think it was you folks across the pond that demanded MS provide a version of Windows that left out WMP. I recognize the anti-compete issue, but I think you should admit that it was the inherent nature of WMP that probably garnered so much support for the EU commision to go after MS on WMP.

What we all really want, a lot of us gave up on when MS introduced "Media Guide" and they identified what WMP really was, a pipeline of preset content for you to purchase that would be locked down by DRM that you would lose 'ownership' of the moment they change their business model and turn off the DRM servers.

What we really want is what we get when we look at all of our other A/V equipment; small footprint; out of the way; not unpleasant to look at; because what we want to look at, is on the screen, it isn't the screen itself; what we want to listen to isn't the silent action controls of the receiver, its the distortion free sound it pushes through our speakers.

On your final point and the class-a grade CPU all on this forum have. I would agree with that statement, but I don't want to stick that behemoth in my living room with its cooling system necessary to keep it cool, I want small, silent and capable of fluid video, clean sound, and the option of looking up on imdb where we know that actor/actress from.

I am not trying to start anything here, I am just speaking up for those out there that know that there is only one that MS is good for and that is giving us an OS that will allow whatever better designed proggie out there that we want to run on top of it.

7. Infiniti3D

Infiniti3D Master Guru

GPU:
    8800 Ultra H²0
    I dont understand why they're not put this stuff inside a HDTV including a SSD and encrypyion module for DVB-C or S, voila the ultimate media solution:)
    When such thing is released tommorow i buy two!:banana:

8. Cybermancer

Cybermancer Don Quixote

GPU:
    BFG GTX260OC (192 SP)
    Thanks for mentioning the WD TV HD Media Player. :p

9. Kain

Kain Ancient Guru

Hi Hilbert. I just read your article and I found page 5 (or the one before the last) shows no graphics. Just to check that.
    About the H.264 reproduction. Maybe it would be cool to show how it works using Power DVD (Ultra I think) which supports both AVIVO and Purevideo aceleration. I think the CPU utilization then will get around 20%. I mean, for horsepower it´s ok, use your CPU, but with such small systems, the free extra will be more valuable.

Have a good Day.

Kain

10. johnnyxp64nd

johnnyxp64nd Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 TOXIC 512mb
    i totally support the idea of puting the MediaPlayer Clasic especially from the K-Lite Codec pack that supports multicore processors now, and if you select dx9 renderless, they HD playback of all MKV is just Perfect in my system it load the cpu only 2%-10%!!!

i just bought a new LG TFT TV HD 32'' and i was ready to build a media center pc that would cost me arround 350euros at least.

this article was perfect, but i want to know if i can install windows XP in it.

11. klambre

klambre Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI 5870@ stock
    This gadget is sweet, I want one :knock:

12. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Can this play Team Fortress 2? This looks like a cool gadget for my girlfriend who is stuck playing TF2 with me on that damned Intel 945 graphics chipset ****.

13. jakmal

jakmal New Member

GPU:
    ATI3450 256MB/ Chrome530
    I have tried graphics cards from ATI and S3 Graphics and neither of them are able to play H264 videos with higher number of reference frames. Apparently, Nvidia supports any number of reference frames and the VDPAU implementation of PureVideo allows some hacking and modifications to do this.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1037625

(My personal travails with the ATI 3450 and S3 Graphics Chrome 530 GT are here:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=279&threadid=106911

http://forums.s3chromezone.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=625 )

Will this Ion reference platform (if it comes to production in this form) come without Windows? Can Ubuntu be installed on this? In case Ubuntu can be installed, it will be a simple matter to be able to play almost any HD / SD video with this set up.

By the way, does anyone know how much Video RAM is available for the GeForce 9400 on this platform? (128 MB might not support 16 reference frames, we will need at least 256 MB, I think).

Also, I am confused as to whether this Ion platform will be able to support VDPAU.

Some of the sites proclaim that the GPU used is the GeForce 9400M (but Guru3D says GeForce 9400 -- also, I am not sure whether they refer to 'motherboard chipset' as 9400M or the Mobile GPU as 9400M), which, unfortunately seems to be conspicuous by its absence from the VDPAU supported list on this page:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1844996&postcount=1

Mobile GPUs:
    GeForce 98xxM
    GeForce 9700M
    GeForce 96xxM
    GeForce 9500M
    GeForce 9300M
    GeForce 9200M
    GeForce 8800M
    GeForce 8800M GTS
    GeForce 8800M GTX
    GeForce 8600M
    GeForce 8400M

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  14. Rifle_Grunt

Rifle_Grunt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 460 TOP + 88k physx
    wow thats small- as was previously mentioned I doubt that it will be long before these are intergrated in your HDTV:banana:

15. Doug

Doug Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    theres no way i can get two pears into my pocket, although i love a challenge

16. Ajoobajabajeeba

Ajoobajabajeeba Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit 465
    Im definately gonna get one for a car pc

17. jacky4566

jacky4566 Member

GPU:
    ATI R9 290
    most definitely . i see the major benefit for the car pc world. slap a big hard drive in and away you go

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    I've read other "reviews" on the Ion...including a review done before Intel even permitted it to exist. I decided then, that if it ever gets released in it's reference form that I'm going to buy at LEAST 1. After reading Hilbert's review...I'm much more impressed with Ion than I initially was.

19. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 970 SC ACX 2.0
    Bah XGP support required. Bollocks.