Nvidia introduces official DLSS plugin for Unreal Engine

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    In 2018. Microsoft showcased DirectML doing the same thing that DLSS is doing (albeit using Nvidia's work). Why we're still not seeing it in action? Where is AMD/MS/Sony/Intel's response?

Could it be that it's HARD?

Could it be that you can't turn on a dime and release something as disruptive as DLSS the moment you feel threatened?

2. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Nvidia and Epic both have mutual interest from Tencent for some time, which may also be a factor in their continued integration of features and/or services.

DLSS likely would be a strong feature set when mature on devices with more hardware constraints (consoles, mobile), and considering their China wide push to mobile and cloud computer and gaming, integrating into UE4 base is probably a good plan for future business. If Nvidia gets a chance to license its GPU IP to mobile SoC manufacturers, would possibly see huge gains in this domain.
    Can really see multiple why Nvidia needs ARM purchase to go through really, if IP tech restrictions toward China ever gets lifted of course.

XenthorX likes this.
  3. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Are you seriously going to pretend that's a valid argument that makes any sense?

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    In the context of "did Nvidia really made DLSS by suddenly going overdrive" as you're claiming, or is DLSS a product of many engineer*hours invested much earlier than any RDNA threat even existed

yes, asking why the rest of the industry is not responding by equally going "overdrive" and releasing it overnight, is a perfectly valid argument.

5. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Let's also not forget in this who's who mix that the Switch bought a lot of these things together years ago as well.

Switch = Nintendo + Nvidia (GPU+ARM) = EPIC Unreal Engine 4 support in 2017. So, this segment of the market is already covered and ports are relatively easy amongst ARM-based platforms. This also opened the door for crossplay, which was a crucial step in uniting all the gaming platforms.

There's also nothing stopping them from backporting DLSS to earlier versions of UE4 so older games can release patches with support without needed to upgrade whole thing to latest engine. I'd be amazed if this wasn't on the table and discussed already.

6. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    That's not a context that exists. nVidia are pushing hard as they can in the face of competition about to exist, don't twist my words.

nVidia's GPU division is a juggernaut, that dwarfs the competition's GPU divisions, so just on that alone your comparison between them and anyone else is a joke, I'm not going to bother to get into the other details of why that's a disingenuous comparison, and you already know AMD/Intel's response is on the way at a time that DLSS has barely had any time of being a valid thing gamers actually use .

I'm sure you'll try to argue that as well, but until the recent 2nd revision of DLSS 2, or what we all call DLSS 2, which exists in a handful of games, it looked like dogcrap mixed with Vaseline smeared on the screen. Go play Shadow of the the Tomb Raider with DLSS on if you think otherwise.