Nvidia Inspector profile export question

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Anarion, Feb 10, 2015.

1. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Read the readme and use at your own risk. I can't guarantee that it's bug free.
    EDIT:
    It's probably best to not use this.

Read Orbmu2K's response. No more guessing.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    thanks for heads up

3. Orbmu2k

Orbmu2k Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi folks :)

Export:
    - includes predefined settings by nvidia
    - includes user customized settings

Import:
    - all settings not existing in the nip file will be removed from the profile
    - predefined settings with the same value will stay predefined flagged
    - settings with different values will be overwritten
    - settings not set yet will be set

Why ist that?

Exported profiles schould recover a given snapshot of the whole profile for a given time. Means other settings you changed in the profile later and you dont remember that you do will be removed cleanly. If you dont include predefined settings in export those settings will be removed at import.

Very Bad!!!!!!

If the "NIP Cleaner" removes all settings not included in CustomSettings this is even worse, as it seems that some predefined settings (SLI Bits, AA Bits) get covered and a lot of them (SLI Settings, 3DVision, Special NV Hacks) get deleted by import.

How to handle predefines correctly?

Just import/export them, and dont worry much, as those settings changes not very often really. If you want to make sure, open the profile, you can ignore all the green nvidia settings they have not changed! Only those probably nvidia settings with the blue user customized flag have changed. You can reset this setting to the new predefined value with the reset button right and reexport this profile.

Ideas for improvement:

1. if an nvidia setting has not been user customized in a given profile, exporting an additional flag which tells the import to leave the nvidia setting by the actual default, instead of the exported value.

2. dont export the predefined settings which has not customized, but automaticly reset the profile to the complete driver default before import, and only merge the exported customized settings into it.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2015
  4. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Yeah, thanks for clearing things up. I don't have to guess how it works now. :)

I did notice that it does seem to delete some undefined settings if they are not in the imported file and now I know why. The "Nip Cleaner" wouldn't delete the SLI profiles or AA flags since those are known settings and they have a name in CustomSettingNames_en-EN.xml (although it would if one would remove those and I did notice it).

That would do the trick.

5. Orbmu2k

Orbmu2k Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Ive added a second idea, which for me is a bit more straight foward. :)

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Thanks. Seems to work fine! Saves all the important information that I need as far as I can see.

Oops looks like I missed a post.

>_> Herp

7. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Hey Orbmu2k, thanks so much for Inspector, it's invaluable :) I also use the MDPS to keep my cards quiet while working with multiple monitors. Brilliant tool!

On this discussion, I'm not entirely clear from your post -- the issue I've found, by using an example:

* Nvidia includes an early profile for a game. I edit it with updated flags (eg SLI flags)

* Later, Nvidia updates this profile. Sometimes this includes 'Undefined' flags which can fix rendering and performance issues. Importing my profile removes these undefined flags, when ideally we want to keep them and just import my user-changed settings. This important because we can't 'restore to default' an Undefined flag, especially if it's been removed as it doesn't show up.

Reading your post again, I -think- this is what I'm asking for:

This would also ensure all other non-changed settings are at the latest value of the default in the new driver. Yes, this would be good :)