Nvidia Inspector introduction and Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Nov 5, 2015.

1. I am using Apache OpenOffice 4.1.2 Suite , which is free and open source under the Apache license. I use Calc, which is the spreadsheet program in the Apache OpenOffice suite. In order to get the time, you have to turn on show time in the MSI Afterburner monitoring tab. In order to get the information out of the log file created by MSI Afterburner monitoring tools, you have to import the .htm (html shorthand and is read-only until you make a copy or save as in a different folder) file via selecting openwith in the Windows context menu and selecting Calc in the OpenOffice folder (in Program Files (x86)).

Now the important bit of info regarding importing the .htm log file into Calc is at the import window is to select the separator as comma only and check the box option to detect special characters. I made the initial mistake of adding more delimiters and my graphs initially did not render properly so, I found out that a " ' " character was added at the beginning of each number in the log. After the import, I just saved the file as a .ods file, which is supported on a lot of platforms such as Google Docs.

I recommend renaming the "Sheet1" to something more unique then in the space next to original "Sheet1" tab click and add a new sheet to put your first graph. There is a insert graph option in the top menu, if you select Line Graph then the X value will almost always be time for framerate. You can select the Data Series tab to add one or more lines to the line graph. The first box in the Data Series selecting the name from the log spreadsheet and the y-values box for the data (i.e. framerate data). Any other info regarding Calc can be found with a search.

Finally to get the graphs as a picture you have two options: export as PDF, but select Landscape as the page setup or the graph could get cut in half or do what I did and printscreen the graph then paste into Paint and crop to the graph. Finally save the graph as a .jpg (at 90% quality the graph was only using 100KB on average) or .png.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2016
  2. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Yeah I use Calc too. But I guess i'm just dumb! lol.

3. :) I not a super guru in spreadsheets either, but picked up some knowledge through trial and error and some tutorials. Here is the image I was saying regarding importing .hml files into Calc (except I checked detect special numbers and left delimiters blank): Importing .hml files

I did another test with Memory Allocation Policy, which shows the differences between As Needed, Moderate, and Aggressive Policies. This time I chose one of my favorites, which is Hard Reset, which was released in 2011. I heard on steam forums that a new updated version of Hard Reset:Exiled Edition is going to be released in the future, which will feature improved performance by using the latest RoadHog engine improvements. Also new missions and content. This test will be using the DirectX 9 version of the Hard Reset:Exiled Edition, but I'm sure the DirectX 11 or 12 version of the game will have better improvements, such as more draw calls without affecting performance.

Also, I was going to upload the results for when NVCP Shader Cache is enabled, but the graphs, which show the changes with shader cache enabled need to be redone. I'll edit the post to put those changes in later.

Here are the results album:

Memory Policy VRAM, Frametime, Framrate, and Settings for Hard Reset

Edit: The order for the benchmark complete images in the album is the following: As Needed Policy, Moderate PreAlloc Policy, and Aggressive PreAlloc Policy. This shows an improvement in minimum framerates with Moderate PreAlloc Policy selected.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2016
  4. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    any update coming soon? nvidiaInspector still stuck at 1.9.7.3

5. CrazyBaldhead

CrazyBaldhead Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Is there a need for an update? It works perfectly fine.

6. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    I am curious if update is needed, especially about exporting profiles and importing after a newer driver installation. Does importing back -older- profiles combines older stuff with newly added ones in a profile or not? This is very important because if replacing a profile (just for settings so we don't have to change all over again) "removes" all new added stuff then will NOT be correct and should be confirmed.

7. CrazyBaldhead

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    What are you trying to say? All settings are tied to the Nvidia drivers themselves. Nvidia Inspector just allows you easy access to them.

8. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    What he is asking is if you export existing game profiles from a driver then Nvidia later updates or changes that profile, then what? Inspector also allows you to modify and export those profiles. There have been cases were importing an old saved or modified profile from a previous driver into inspector has caused game issues.

9. CrazyBaldhead

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    I see. Manual input is best in cases such as those.

10. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    GB 2060S,Gsync,3DV2
    That's what I thought.

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    If you are exporting profiles in NIP. It should only bring over User changes I think from what i've seen. (Though what is shown below, certainly seems more like it imports everything)

If you export/import through "Export all profiles" which uses a text/xml format. It will override absolutely everything.

Here's a comparison of the A.Creed Syndicate profile
    Unaltered Single export
    AA Fix enabled Single Export
    AA fix enabled Export Customized Profiles only
    Copy pasta them into separate windows and A/B them. Latter 2 seem to be the same. Whether settings are user defined it doesn't say. Which is odd. Because when you export ALL profiles, it is formatted differently.

Same profile. AA fix enabled in NVText format
    [​IMG]
    NVText is shown in Hexdecimal. While exported .NIP XMLs are just Decimal conversions.

One would have to test I suppose by taking a profile. Exporting it. Then deleting any and all set and customized values on the profile. And see if it brings them all back....and it does.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2016
  12. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    The old profile will replaces everything in the new (it basically deletes the new profile and replaces it with the old exported profile). That's why I only use it for games that are old enough.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    Does anyone actually know of any games that this causes problems for?

This does make it seem like Inspector should be changed so it only imports USER defined values.

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Well, if SLI profile gets updated in new drivers then that would be an issue.

I made a tool that got rid of all stuff that could potentially cause issues in exported XMLs so that it wouldn't override those changes but that plan didn't work because NVIDIA Inspector doesn't just replace the values that are in the exported profile (it basically deletes the profile and creates new one based on the exported settings).

In perfect world it would only export user changed settings, only export those and only replace those values in existing profile. Tracking user changes can be a bit complex thing to implement and make fool proof.

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Aren't there two options, export everything, or export user changed profiles only?
    I brought my settings over during the last driver installation, worked well so far, haven't had any issues since then.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I've been doing the same for a couple years actually...

And it actually does seem to import the complete profile, including optimization flags.

A better test would be to take something like A.Creed Syndicate. And export a single profile for it from an earlier driver before they changed the SLI flag and added more optimizations with one setting changed by you. And see if it changes all of the up to date in the newer driver to the old stuff.

Anyone on some older drivers from a few months ago?
    I could test this myself with AC:S

17. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    This is due to MFAA's cross-frame sampling pattern and doesn't show up in actual gameplay, only in screenshots and videos captured on the local machine. If you use external framegrabber, i.e. an FCAT rig, to capture MFAA there is no sawtooth pattern.

18. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    Yep. MFAA is perfectly ok in-game, the sawtooth pattern shows up on screenshots only because of how MFAA works via combining AA samples from several frames.

19. khanmein

khanmein Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
  20. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    If MFAA is enabled globally it affects any DXGI game in which you have enabled MSAA