Nvidia Inspector introduction and Guide

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Nov 5, 2015.

1. blackdragonbird

blackdragonbird Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 G1 Gaming
    Hi guys,

Can anyone point me what the option OpenGL Override do exactly. The functions in this tool are very obscure, basically the majority of them you can't find anything in the web.

2. heymian

heymian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Do NVCP > 3D Settings and nvidiaInspector share settings? I noticed last night that some settings in Inspector do not carry over to NVCP. On the contrary, those same settings, when set in NVCP, carry over to Inspector. Most settings do share though.

3. CrazyBaldhead

CrazyBaldhead Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    What does not carry over, exactly?

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2080
    I've never really looked at that personally. As settings in NVCP are useless to me.

5. The Euphoria

The Euphoria New Member

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Classified
    Hi everyone, I have a strange issue with NI/NPI and need a little help, please.

I was creating a new profile for a game that wasn't on the default list, I clicked add application, located the game's .exe, clicked it and received a fairly long error message, but before I could even read it, NI stopped responding and closed. So I tried reopening it and that's my issue, it will not open anymore. I've restarted the PC, deleted all NI/NPI files, downloaded the latest ones, but still nothing. I can open NI and click the button to open profiles, my cursor spins for a second like it's loading, but nothing appears.

Anyone have any ideas, please?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
  6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    Add the game in the nvidia control panel instead. Then you can select it in inspector.

7. The Euphoria

The Euphoria New Member

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Classified
    Sorry if I'm missing something, feel free to ELI5, but inspector opens showing me my GPU details, but the profile section of NI won't open at all. So I'm confused what you mean by this.

8. The Euphoria

The Euphoria New Member

GPU:
    GTX980Ti Classified
    [Update] - OK, I've sorted it. Jeez, only took me 6 hours.

Reinstalling the same driver and even updating to the latest didn't work, so I tried running Display Driver Uninstaller to completely wipe all existence of the Nvidia drivers, then installed the latest (390.65) and restarted the system... finally, Nvidia Inspector and Profile Inspector are working again. Phew. I was starting to get worried.

9. friday21st

friday21st New Member

GPU:
    gtx950m
    enable gtx950 specific features -> anyone ?
    google was no help

10. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    "Enable GTX950 specific features. Currently used to enable FRM for GTX950"
    FRM = Frame Rate Monitor

friday21st likes this.

11. theVenerable

theVenerable New Member

GPU:
    970m SLI
    I recently reset my window 10 installation. Now after reinstalling Nvidia profile inspector, I can't change any profiles, or add my saved profiles.
    I keep getting ''DRS_SaveSettings failed: NVAPU_ACCESS_DENIED.'' message.

PleaseHelp !

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Run NV inspector as admin.
    Also make sure you are using the latest version.

13. alivance

alivance New Member

GPU:
    525m
    @MrBonk

what exactly changed in last version of nvidiaProfileInspector '2.1.3.20' ?

14. steelrat

steelrat New Member

GPU:
    1070TI
    Hey guys, first post here, sorry if someone alredy mentioned this problem and got an answer -
    I got an microstutter in CSGO, red that nvidia inspector could help, jst wanted to khow, how to make csgo profile as default? cos it the only game i play, moustly.
    when i run inspector, i can set it to csgo, bt when i close it, or only the profile window, and open once more, its back to default. How to make it stay on csgo? or must i keep it open and runing while ill play?
    sorry for my bad grammar, english is not my native :)

15. Klementh

Klementh Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    Probably a banking trojan.

I'm kidding of course, but I actually have trouble trusting it. I mean, an application that doesn't have a home page, and no software site seems to want to mirror it, not even Guru3D, with an executable that requires administrator privileges, without digital signature and no checksum to verify the file.

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    It's open source. Feel free to check its code yourself.

17. Klementh

Klementh Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 1060 3GB
    Yes, if I could read the source well enough to be able to distinguish between good and malicious code, and then compile it myself to make sure the code corresponds with the available executable... then I would be sure that the thing is safe, until the next update. Good idea. Have you done it?

I'm not saying I don't trust Orbmu2k, but judging by past events, it would be easy for a hacker group to replace the file at any time with malware that behaves like the normal program while stealing data, and then later at some point becomes ransomware after enough people downloaded it.

18. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Does anybody know how to force a P-state for a single executable via NI/NPI? I've recently downloaded Fallout Tactics from GOG to play "faux-op" with a friend via Parsec, but the game always uses my absolute max clocks no matter what I set. This game is almost 20 years old and is basically 2D tiles, so why it is running at 2050/5500 and 80%+ GPU usage is beyond me, but it is annoying with my fans having to run at 55% the entire time.

I've tried all the settings in NVCP that could make a difference and absolutely nothing changed, even after restarts. Then I moved to NPI and started looking around for power or clock related settings to try. I've tried every single one I can find and nothing has helped. I know it is P-state 8 I'm trying to force, but I can't find a way to do it.

If anybody is really adventurous, they could just download the game from GOG and see if their GPU clocks to max. Also, using the power slider in MSIAB doesn't help since it sits at ~20% power usage while in game even with max clocks and very high GPU usage.

19. Guzz

Guzz Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Try to add this setting - Frame Rate Monitor Control - 0x3C000000 PS_FRAMERATE_MONITOR_CTRL_FPS_60

20. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! It didn't work at first with the profile associated with the bos.exe, so I deleted the existing profile and made my own in NPI. Once I turned on the setting you recommended above my GPU no longer clocks up to max. It sits at a comfortable 848MHz core/810(1620)MHz mem clock @ 0.625v. It hasn't gone above 45C in 2 hours of gaming with my buddy so the fans never kick on. I've used NPI quite a bit over the years but never this particular setting.

I'm glad if it just works and we leave it at that, but do you care to explain *why* it works when RTSS limits and NPI framerate limits had no effect?