Nvidia INF driver modding (Guide)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Apr 11, 2013.

1. nikkoe46

nikkoe46 New Member

GPU:
    gtx560m/ 3gb
    use GTX560m with quadro drivers

Hi.
    I have a Asus G74SX with 120 Hz monitor and GTX560m 3Gb graphics card.
    The laptop comes with an integrated emitter 3Dvision in which I get to see their sample images on 3D without any problem.
    However, with the GTX drivers in the control panel, I have not the option to enable stereo mode,However, it appears in my desktop PC that I have with quadro graphics card (fx580)

I would need Stereoscopic view to CAD programs ... My question is ... If I make the change suggested in the .inf file including the lines of my graphics card ... Will I get the possibility to activate this setting?
    Would anyone who has modded GTX to Quadro tell me whether to install quadro drivers this option appears ?
    Regards
    Nicolas

2. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    GPU and driver version doesn't really matter for 3dVision to function. If you have the NV3DVision drivers installed and you have a monitor and emitter capable of doing 3dVision then it should work fine.

Certainly, there is nothing in the Quadro drivers that allows 3dVision to work where the Geforce ones would not.
    You would find this true of any Quadro vs Geforce driver of the same version.

They virtually are identical.

But there is no harm in giving it a try. There is zero risk in any of this.

EDIT: It seems I'm repeating myself again from post #218. Maybe I should add a "Modded drivers will NEVER transform your GPU to another one, and will NEVER add features that you do not already have".

The only reasons you might want to install a driver that you need to modify the INF for is because it is;

One, newer then what is currently available and you want to try it.
    This is less common with Quadro, but iCafe and laptop OEM's often leak out early builds. It can be interesting to see if fixes or other announced features are included. I remember we were able to try driver NVCP FXAA before it was officially included in the driver.
    Also, it can be used to force installation of newer drivers on OEM locked GPU's. Thus the existence of laptopvideo2go.

And two, you need an older driver that is not officially supported for your GPU because you have a specific application that is broken in newer ones and you cannot wait for a fix. Number one covers 99% of the reasons, but every so often some old game or deprecated program needs an older driver.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    No.
    Adding support for an old OS to a new driver is beyond me.

Preferably, you need to use a driver that already supports the OS in question, and add the GPU info to that driver. Good luck adding a GTX 1080 to a Windows XP driver, let alone 2k and older.

Your time would be better spent setting up a hardware/GPU passthrough in a VM.

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You're right on the passthrough, forgot about that.

Your best bet would be using 368.81 then. Worth a try. I'm pretty sure adding support for an old OS to a new driver is not possible.

5. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    He'd probably have better luck adding the device strings in the inf file.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I didn't actually look, but he did say 368.81 supported XP. So yeah, that is what he would have to do. No guarantee it would work though.

7. pastorpastor

pastorpastor New Member

GPU:
    MSI gtx 1070 8Gb
    Hello Cyberdyne, I just found this thread
    I used to convert my old Gforce card to quadro via softquadro to accelerate 3dsmax ( yes, it was years ago ... :D )
    So now, it is the way to go ? Could I use last quadro drivers on my new gtx 1070 to improve 3dsmax 2017 viewport performance?

8. pastorpastor

pastorpastor New Member

GPU:
    MSI gtx 1070 8Gb
    BTW thank you for the guide,
    I would like to try but I'm wondering witch card ID is the good one for my MSI GTX 1070 8Go Gaming :
    NVIDIA_DEV.1B81 or NVIDIA_DEV.1BA1 or NVIDIA_DEV.1BE1
    each one is described with the same = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070"
    Did someone ever tried the mod with this card ?

edit:
    I think I found the answer here :

web adress : pci-ids.ucw.cz/pci.ids

1b81 GP104 [GeForce GTX 1070]
    1b82 GP104
    1b83 GP104
    1b84 GP104 [GeForce GTX 1060 3GB]
    1ba0 GP104M [GeForce GTX 1080]
    1ba1 GP104M [GeForce GTX 1070]
    1bb0 GP104GL [Quadro P5000]
    1bb1 GP104GL
    1bb3 GP104GL [Tesla P4]
    1bb4 GP104GL
    1be0 GP104M [GeForce GTX 1080]
    1be1 GP104M [GeForce GTX 1070]

so the last 2 would be mobile version of the 1070 ?! so I could have a try with the first string

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
  9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    No, using Quadro drivers will not improve performance in any application, those days are long past.

There is no harm in trying more strings or device id's. If it passes the device check, you are good to go. If it fails, then no harm done, try again.

10. pastorpastor

pastorpastor New Member

GPU:
    MSI gtx 1070 8Gb
    ohh, damn
    so, by using your method, what is the purpose for installing quadro drivers in this case ?

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Modded drivers will NEVER transform your GPU to another one, and will NEVER add features that you do not already have.

The only reasons you might want to install a driver that you need to modify the INF for is because:

One, newer then what is currently available and you simply want to try it.
    This is less common with Quadro, but iCafe and laptop OEM's often leak out early builds.
    It can be interesting to see if fixes or other announced features are included.
    I remember we were able to try driver NVCP FXAA before it was officially included in the driver. We also got to test the shader cache option a few days before it was officially added.
    And just pure fun/experimentation. Maybe NVIDIA did something really cool in a new branch that we don't have yet.
    Also, it can be used to force installation of newer drivers on OEM locked GPU's. Thus the existence of laptopvideo2go.

And two, you need an older driver that is not officially supported for your GPU because you have a specific application that is broken in newer ones and you cannot wait for a fix. Number one covers 99% of the reasons, but every so often some old game or deprecated program needs an older driver.

12. pastorpastor

pastorpastor New Member

GPU:
    MSI gtx 1070 8Gb
    thank you for the explanation :)

13. x58haze

x58haze Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    I tried this method in windows 8.1 sucesfull but now i realize that i tried to dowload the latest nvidia fx 1800 quadro drivers that has the same G94 model gpu than my 9600 gt
    So i dowloaded latest drivers in my windows 10. but now result that the nv_dispwi.inf has no section for the NTamd64.10.0" for 10 <-- :'( Just till NTamd64 [NVIDIA_SetA_Devices.NTamd64.6.3] x.x

14. jpmboy

jpmboy New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    GTX 1080 on XP64?

thank you for posting this guide! Very well done.
    I have been trying to get my GTX 1080 to run correctly using the last NV XP64 driver (340.52 for x64). I added the necessary device ID and made the system entry since there was none for the 1080 in the second paste bin. The install completes but the driver cannot start.The DEV id is 10DE_1B80.
    Is this the wrong NV driver to use? Has anyone had success with a GTX 1080?

15. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3080 Strix H20
    Pascal will never work with XP.

16. jpmboy

jpmboy New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    yeah - that was my concern. the 3 other earlier gen cards (up to maxwell) have worked. shoulda never sold my 980Ti. :bang:

17. jpmboy

jpmboy New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    how about a GTX 960? Been a long time since I got that 980 to work and I'm hoping someone here knows better... :)

18. Easyypeasy

Easyypeasy New Member

GPU:
    MSI Gtx 1060 6GB
    Hello, I plugged one gtx 1060 to my laptop and I got stucked in the driver 372.70.
    No other driver works for me, I tried almost all the new ones and just can't make it work, and in other forum they bring me here so I tried your method but I got stucked in the 3º :

s23.postimg.org/6dl80gl23/ajudaaaaaa .png

(I cant use links just putted the http and fuse the png)

I have windows 10 and I can't understand where I am suppose to paste the "%NVIDIA_DEV.1C03% = win10desktop, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C03" on my notepad, there is no "SetA_Device" and "PETrust" are way down and far away from my "NTamd64.10.0" :bugeye:

pls help me :pray2pc:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  19. The General

The General Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FirePro W5000 2GB
  20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I'm not sure what to tell you, I just downloaded the latest driver and I found it just fine.
    [​IMG]
    Ignore the details of what the line says. Refer to image above.
    You will also see "[NVIDIA_Devices.NTamd64.10.0...14310]"
    I'm guessing it's some build for Windows 10. Not sure which section is relevant, you could add your card to both this section and the one I screenshotted to be safe.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017