Nvidia INF driver modding (Guide)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Apr 11, 2013.

1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Lol. Glad you were able to follow it. Admittedly the lists need to be updated though. I'll get around to it.

2. schwat

schwat Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980
    Hey Cyberdyne, I was wondering if perhaps you could help me with this issue since you seem to be quite knowledgeable about modding INF files.

I'm trying to get either 347.88 or 350.12 working with a GTX 980 Ti in Windows 8.1. The part I'm having trouble with is figuring out exactly what to use for the 2nd string that goes under the OS section. In particular I'm unsure how to determine what section# to use since it seems to vary from driver to driver. I've done a lot of searching & the only threads I can find are about modifying 347.88 to work for Windows 10.

The string that goes under the [Strings] section is always the same:
    NVIDIA_DEV.17C8 = "NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti"

However I've seen conflicting information about what to use for the second string that goes under the "NTamd64.6.3 section for Windows 8.1. The part that seems to change is the "= Section###" part. How do you determine the correct section # to use?

So far I've seen the following strings suggested:
    %NVIDIA_DEV.17C8% = Section043, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C8

%NVIDIA_DEV.17C8% = Section031, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C8

%NVIDIA_DEV.17C8% = Section034, PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C8

Any idea why the section # would be different or how to determine the correct one to use for 347.88 or 350.12 for GTX 980 Ti + Windows 8.1?

Thanks for posting this guide by the way, it has been quite useful for a starting point in learning how to do this. I just cannot figure this one part out.

3. michaelosm

michaelosm New Member

GPU:
    EVGA Titan Black
    Hi People

Need some help here. I am trying to mod the geforce 353.45 inf so that I can install with my Quadro K5200 card. I looked in the inf for NVIDIA_DEV.103C since this is the K5200 ID and it appears in both the STRINGS and AMD64 sections. What do I need to change in the inf so the geforce installer detects the quadro?

Thanks in advance.

4. pseudodeed

pseudodeed Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Qadro M400M
    I want to do the same, i have a quadro 5000m and i want to convert it to the eqivalent Geforce i think this is 780m or 680m. Can anybody help please what i have to do?

5. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    There is no converting. You can make a geforce driver install but it will still be read as the same card

6. Bhudda

Bhudda Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti
    doesn't work. can't find my driver string in step 2 in these quadro drivers that I extracted

7. C0D3M4N

C0D3M4N Member

GPU:
    Asus 1080Ti
  8. Elajitz

Elajitz Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Ventus
    Are there any way to Modify Drives to get those whit Gsync and sli be enable to use DSR?

9. Chert

Chert Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070
    Any updates to this guide to properly make a modded inf for windows 10?

I tried making one so that I can use a Quadro driver w/ my GTX 970. The installation does proceed. But near the end of the installation, the Nvidia install program says that the driver install failed.

10. Walt0929

Walt0929 New Member

GPU:
    660M 2Gb
    Hey there. I own an Alienware M15x. 8 gb Ram, 150 watts adapter, core i7 720, ssd and the gtx260m. I just got the 660m 2gb from China, a Dell one. I am completely stucked in here. I've read a lot of forums regarding the installation and the mod.inf infos. I haven't been able. When i first put it it completely turned off my laptop several times then i disassemble it and then it worked. Id doesn't recognize the card and when i try to install de drivers it always givesme an error. Can you help me please?

11. ad12524

ad12524 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Hi Chert,

I wonder if you ever could load the Quadro drivers with your GTX 970? I haven't tried yet, just wanted to know if is possible. I have the same graphics card.

Regards,
    Alex

12. r0nniew00d

r0nniew00d New Member

GPU:
    r9 290
    i have tried for the life of me to get my 560 working with 257.15 drivers. I have followed everything in your guide..am i missing something

13. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
    Its possible, Ive done it with my evga 970.

14. kazimnaim

kazimnaim New Member

GPU:
    Helppp

Hi Guys

Can anyone help me out here

I am trying to get my Titan X passthrough in ESXI. Getting installed and there is an Code 43 error in device manager. I understand the limitation is from Nvidia and the only compatible GPUs are Quadro and Grid etc. ( I do have a Quadro K6000 working in ESXI passthrough)

Is it possible to mod inf files and get this card appear as Quadro ?

Please advise

Regards

Kazim

15. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    I don't know if you can get it to "appear" as Quadro, but you can certainly use a modified inf and install the Quadro drivers.

16. kazimnaim

kazimnaim New Member

GPU:

Hi Pharma

Thanks for the info. I dont know what i am doing wrong but trying to get it working since 2 days without success. :bang:

Hardware Ids

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C2&SUBSYS_85391043&REV_A1
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C2&SUBSYS_85391043
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C2&CC_030000
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C2&CC_0300

Compatible Ids

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C2&REV_A1
    PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_17C2
    PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_030000
    PCI\VEN_10DE&CC_0300
    PCI\VEN_10DE
    PCI\CC_030000&DT_0
    PCI\CC_030000
    PCI\CC_0300&DT_0
    PCI\CC_0300

Device class Guid
    {4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

17. Soliver84

Soliver84 New Member

GPU:
    32GB Corsair
    Perhaps there soon ne possibility FERMI to force DX12 without Emulator

18. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    No. Forcing the installation of a driver does not allow for extra features, and cannot transform it into another card.

In very rare occasions it was/is possible to flash a BIOS to allow a 'transformation', but certainly not from installing a driver that does not support your GPU by itself.

Unless someone way smarter than us cracks the closed source of the drivers, or unless the new driver itself adds those features you want to your specific card, there is simply no possible way.

That covers pretty much 3 quarters of the questions here.
    Make sure you are booting Windows 10 with Driver Signature Enforcement disabled, if you were able to pass the device check then that should mean everything is fine. Typically a failure at that point means something else it wrong, like Driver Signature Enforcement still being on.
    I've updated the guide just now, I've not touched it in like 3 years lol. I'm surprised it was still relevant at all. Should be fine now, assuming that you had the right idea in the first place. Let me know if you still run into issues.

19. Rickeyhb

Rickeyhb Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 580M
    Anybody able to help me ? I've posted my own help request here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?p=5322408#post5322408

EDIT: Ohh and an improvement to the guide is to make it a lot easier to restart into disabled forced driver signature simply by holding down left shift while clicking restart :D

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  20. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I can only say this. In my experience, once you are able to pass the driver's device check, the INF work is done. Failure beyond that point would have to be somewhere else.

Since this is a laptop GPU, laptopvideo2go becomes even more relevant.
    You could try their driver + INF combo to make sure it's not the INF being the issue.
    If the driver still produces errors after install then I can only guess it's something strange going on with that OEM GPU and Windows 10. I would sooner blame the OEM.
    http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/31609-geforce-37254-desktop-and-mobile-oem/
    And thanks for the suggestion.