1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nvidia hopes to block AMD's RX 3080 with a new Trademark

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by EL1TE, May 25, 2019.

1. EL1TE

EL1TE Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    [​IMG]

Trademarks can be viewed here: https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/owners/1002332

AMD marketing tactic for having a higher number than NVIDIA GPUs seems to be bothering NVIDIA, so NVIDIA is trying to trademark numbers in an attempt to block AMD's Navi RX3080.

The Trademark goes not only for 3080 but also 4080 and 5080 numbers too.

Source: Overclock3D

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 1080ti-XOC BIOS
    LOL nice photo, Reminds me of SPY VS SPY BIG TIME.

3. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    It would be rather stupid of AMD to just use NVIDIAs numbering scheme and one up it. Makes total sense for NVIDIA to try to safe their future numbers. And AMD would totally do it too, they are already doing it with their AM4 chipsets for no particular reason. People buy CPUs and then a matching chipset, they don't buy a chipset because it has a higher number.

4. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    AMD is trolling :D

5. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    Lots of clueless consumers who may think a RX 3080 might be a successor to RTX 2080, so can understands NVs position. Its like cheap Samsung knock-offs branded Samsun, etc.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 390/GTX1070M
    AMD has been calling their cards RX a lot longer than NVIDIA has been using RTX. If anything, NVIDIA is stepping on AMD's naming scheme.

7. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    AMD has a much smaller market share than Nvidia, so the latter would not benefit from similar naming schemes. Both sides have equal, justifiable reason to use RX or RTX (Radeon X vs Ray Tracing X which is relevantly represented by the RTX moniker and is a close evolution of the GTX name) and I am sure the courts would agree. But ripping off the logical numbering progression of competitors product lines (of both Nvidia and Intel, ie z370 vs x370) looks like a desperate attempt to ride off the greater market recognition of their products.

8. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA XCUltra 2080Ti
    In all objectivity, it's so damn confusing, we're gonna have RX3080 and RTX3080 ?! come on.
    AMD released 6 months ago the RX 590, how the hell does it end up so close to Nvidia naming convention now?

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1660Ti
    AMD had the HD2000 - HD9000 series....then went to the R5/R7/R9 crap and then RX400 and RX500 series. ATI also had the Radeon 8000 and 9000 series.

AMD is releasing the RX5700 in July.

They aren't copying NVidia. NVidia actually got their "naming convention" from 3DFx..... ATI also used a similar "naming convention" prior to NVidia.

10. endbase

endbase Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    Wrong thread

Last edited: May 29, 2019

11. Geryboy

Geryboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti AMP Zotac
    not the proper forum for a bash.

12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti @h2o
    I still don't get why they can't five their chips proper names, since the cards do have them anyway.
    And there I thought, searching for things that make you easy to recognise as a brand / product is the way you want to go, not both using just "numbers" to identify their products... I guess I misunderstood this concept in marketing, seemingly they want to both have four digit numbers without any true way to discern themselves without reading into the matter.