Nvidia has Neglected their Control Panel Features in recent Years

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by BlindBison, Dec 31, 2023.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    1) Nvidia Control Panel Sharpen is Bad -- much worse than AMD CAS in terms of producing negative artifacts, in particular any aliasing present in the image gets sharpened and makes my eyes bleed. AMD CAS via ReShade doesn't do this.

2) ReShade lets you use FXAA or SMAA or CMAA2 where SMAA is more or less the best we can do in terms of a single frame post process Anti-Aliasing solution that doesn't require engine level integration/motion vectors. Especially if you play older games where SMAA could be stacked on top of MSAA or used instead of FXAA adding a High Quality SMAA option would be a very nice addition and improvement over FXAA since it side steps needlessly softening the image and washing out detail in the way FXAA tends to do. People say, "Just use Reshade" (and I do), but then you can't use these effects in Multiplayer games. It's also just sort of annoying and would likely not take too much effort for Nvidia to fix seems to me.

3) Users shouldn't need to use Inspector in order to access non-Adaptive Half-Refresh Rate (and 1/3 refresh, etc) V-Sync modes. It's already in the driver, just add it to the dropdown. In an era where high refresh rate monitors are common, a user might have an older PC where they want to play at 30 FPS on say a 120 Hz panel, that sort of thing.

4) Other vendors like Intel have demonstrated that Adaptive V-Sync can be further improved upon with their Smart Sync (eg it's like traditional Adaptive V-Sync where v-sync is dropped when the framerate dips, but they try to be a bit more elegant with it by applying a dithering pattern across the tear line). If I recall correctly on Xbox they have an Adaptive V-Sync mode which only shows tearing in the top or bottom portion of the screen. The dream would be to combine these two together if at all possible and you'd have a really nice form of traditional V-Sync for non VRR users, especially if half-refresh options were also included.

5) Their Framerate Limiter should support 2 Decimal Places of Precision since that matters if you're trying to use the BlurBuster's Low Lag V-Sync trick.

6) Maybe this one is out of their hands, but forcing Anisotropic Texture Filtering from the Control Panel causes texture glitches/bugs in a lot of recent games I've noticed. For example Dark Souls Remastered you get weird texture lines in some environments and Horizon Zero Dawn the fur would bug if forced via the driver (least on the early patch, haven't tested this for awhile).

7) We can force Modern Ambient Occlusion Techniques via Reshade so is there any reason Nvidia can't just update the option they have in their driver that just doesn't work most of the time nowadays?

8) This is the least of my worries compared to actual features, but it has been a very very long time since they updated their control panel interface and I've gotta admit AMD's looks a lot nicer and feels better to use for me. At the very least I wish Nvidia would let us resize that fixed 640x480 column width settings box and resolve the slow "Apply".

I "think" Nvidia GPU scaling in the control panel is a Spatial Upscaler like FSR1 (though I'm not 100% sure about this, I could be wrong) so that's a positive addition at least. Anyway, maybe my ideas are poor and I'm missing some crucial reasons these things can't be done, but I just don't think users should have to use Special K or Reshade for features that could be implemented officially. I still play old games, often on lower end machines than my desktop and these would be huge quality of life adds in my view.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2024
  2. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Nvidia's old sharpening was much more better, in recent drivers they changed it for some reason and look like piss, it has horrible contrast. I think it was since the introduction of Nvidia NIS, you can return the old Nvidia sharpening method by changing a registry key, but this disables NIS, but i prefer FSR or XeSS over that and in games that use TAA i still use this Nvidia sharpen method, it helps a lot. But i do agree that Reshade AMD CAS looks far superior and gives a super clean image, plus you can tweak it in real time.

Reshade also has Intel CMAA, which looks incredible in older games that don't have TAA or have a poor SMAA implementation, it makes the image much more stable and it helps to remove flickering or excessive noise in things such as foliage. You can also use NFAA, which beats SMAA imo. None of these can be forced via the NVCP or Nvidia Inspector, yet any game supports it easily and it works.

Yeah, the Nvidia fps limiter is very, very bad. It doesn't allow for decimal precision to divide the framerate, in some DX12 it doesn't even work properly with frame pacing all over the place, which is just beyond me.

Not to mention the NVCP on itself is still very slow and has Windows XP buttons, they also removed the "pre-rendered frames", which can now only be accessed with the Inspector. This sucks so much.

lionhad and BlindBison like this.
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    You realize that NVCPL is just a GUI, a window into NVIDIA API, don`t you?

AXS, Johnnymi and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  4. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Of course. I don't think that invalidates what I'm arguing however.

Smough likes this.

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I wonder if CMAA2 is available in one of the ReShade packages. Interesting how CS2 opted use CMAA2 over SMAA as most games do not.

To be honest, the old sharpen filter also looked a lot worse than AMD CAS to me so for me neither of Nvidia's seem really "worth it" in my mind.

I've noticed the same behavior in DX12 games for Nvidia's limiter, but I wonder what exactly they're doing. Perhaps the limiter has different modes and acts more closely to an in-engine limiter in some titles? (those always seem to have a bit lower latency but slightly less stable frametimes).

I've never used NFAA so I'll have to look into trying that and find the reshade package its in. Thanks,

Smough and TheDigitalJedi like this.
  6. Conan The Barbarian

Conan The Barbarian Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    I like the basic and simple look of their control panel. Hell the only time I ever use it is to turn up the digital vibrance after installing new drivers.

7. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I'm pretty used to it by now, but I'm mostly disappointed by their control panel features since there's a lot they could update/improve or add which would be useful, they simply don't bother to for whatever reason.

lionhad likes this.
  8. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moravec's paradox
    Does anyone actually use this on a often enough basis that it matters?

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Devil RX 6900 XTU
    Installing nvidia card and seeing their control panel after having an AMD card be like :

:D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    The control panel UI itself seems fine to me. The only issue I have with it is that it's sloooooooooooooow.

Netherwind, Chrysalis, Smough and 3 others like this.

11. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    I just did that while preparing my old computer with a GTX1080 for sale, and was looking at the NV CPL, and I was "wait, what, it is THIS bad ?? holy crap!"

CPC_RedDawn, BlindBison and Undying like this.
  12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Devil RX 6900 XTU
    I have a 1060 laptop that i use even today and i had the 3070 not that long ago i can tell it was my reaction too.

Every time i open it i smirk how bad it is compared to amd :D

lionhad, wavetrex and BlindBison like this.
  13. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Well, I do -- I use an older laptop sometimes where the features I'm describing would be very helpful. I'd argue anyone that uses ReShade or traditional v-sync via Inspector could benefit from a lot of these ideas.

TheDigitalJedi and AuerX like this.
  14. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Yeah, it also has what seem like visual bugs at times where you'll enable or change a setting for a game profile but it doesn't show as "Bolded" like its supposed to. I'm more concerned with the features than the UI, but the UI is pretty long in the tooth.

15. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Don't get me wrong, I really like Nvidia's software features like DLSS and I acknowledge their RT lead (I use Nvidia myself at the moment), but in my estimation this generation AMD have the better value product VS Nvidia. Nvidia could've gotten away with these prices probably if they didn't VRAM skimp so hard, but they did so yeah.

In general AMD has been killing it lately with having their new features work on existing cards (FSR3, FSR2.2) and CAS being available in the control panel is cool since it's, like, the one decent sharpen filter I'm aware of. Apple and Nvidia seem to also have Spatial upscalers akin to FSR1, but I know Digital Foundry said Apple's is worse than FSR1. I've not seen direct comparisons between NIS and FSR1 so I can't comment there.

People always say these features are pointless in the temporal reconstruction era, but I disagree. For older systems that need to upscale they're really useful if they can be turned on from the Control Panel level in any title. The resulting image quality doesn't match temporal reconstruction but its way better than a standard Bilinear upscale.

My point with a thread like this is that Nvidia just doesn't seem to care at all about how their cards age or about global features that benefit all their users, even users with older cards. AMD clearly does and also doesn't skimp on VRAM which means their cards have tended to age more gracefully despite not having access to DLSS/peak RT perf. How it seems to me at least.

AuerX likes this.

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Devil RX 6900 XTU
    How about the overall control panel response? I noticed it takes like 5sec to apply/change settings, it feels sluggish on nvidia cp while on amd is an instant. I alt+R control panel pops up i enable afmf then alt+R again and its gone in sec. Its really smooth and works so well.

BlindBison likes this.
  17. skacikpl

skacikpl Maha Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 4090
    I assume that GFE was supposed to just consume NVCP eventually but everyone hated GFE guts and other half of people don't seem to mind Windows XP era UI and UX so given it's not something that can be sold the NVCP is just stuck in limbo.
    Whole thing needs an overhaul on many levels but i doubt it'll happen anytime soon.

AuerX and BlindBison like this.
  18. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Installing an AMD card and seeing their "AMD Software" control panel after having an Nvidia card be like :

:D

[​IMG]

I do much prefer Nividia's simple control panel over AMD's bloated thing. That said, I did like the good, old Catalyst Control Center, however. It's too bad one can't go back to that on modern cards.

19. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    To each their own I suppose :D I'm more concerned with what I perceive to be feature holes

20. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    nothing wrong with UI it just really slow, AMD contol panel is pure crap to me , i would never want Nvidia to CP to look like that, as for GFE I have not used and will not any time soon if ever.

That said I would not mind some sort "preview" of what setting might do

Maddness, Smough and TheDigitalJedi like this.