NVIDIA has announced Titan V

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by UZ7, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Strix OC
    Eh, no it shouldn't... this gpu will have roughly 50% more performance than titan Xp... in titles such as gta V, and witcher 3, sli scaling is 90+ %, meaning that his sli setup will be performing quite a bit better. Obviously Titan V will perform better in titles where sli doesn't work, but as always, it comes down to what titles you primarily play.

2. vdelvec

vdelvec Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3090
    Bought two of these. Now I have a Googleplex of teraflop performance. :p

3. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    You expected a card with Tensor cores to be cheap? The frack?
    By the way it looks, the Titans may be segregated from the GeForce lines by these Tensor cores since a regular user has no use for them. That could easily explain the price because it would firmly put the Titan one further step into the prosumer market.

And if Nvidia were truly evil, the 1080Ti would be $900+ by now, like some other piece of crap vendor *coughgklaklgf*Intel*cough* does.

4. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Give it time. Nvidia currently has an iron grip on the high-end GPU market, and will for some time. They can charge whatever they want for their top product and get away with it. If Nvidia was smart, they would make this new $3000 Titan the new standard, and start charging $1000 for their new high-end consumer card (plenty of rich folks who will buy it). Let the milking begin! ;)

5. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT / GTX1070
    There will always be cards for the masses. People can't really believe Nvidia will suddenly ask $1200 for a the next Ti upon release? That's a %50 mark-up. Some would buy it but many could not or would not, simply over being gouged so badly. AMD may not have the crown but they still offer plenty of good cards. Nvidia may ask a premium if they are the best performers but it won't be a crazy mark-up like $1200. I'd say $849 on release day, max. People (in the upgrade window) will get pissed if they go too crazy on the pricing.

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Pretty much like the non RX Vega cards from AMD those cards have a game mode that you turn on form the drivers themselves.

7. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Why is everyone saying that the Titan range is not part of the Gforce gaming cards? Just because the name doesn't say the word Geforce, doesn't make it a work station graphics card that can run games... Why on eart will you see all the Titan cards on the official GeForce website if it wasn't a "Gaming" card??? Go see if you find a Quadro or Tesla card on the GeForce site. Those are their workstation cards. The Titan range is still their gaming cards so it falls under the GeForce range.

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    hd 6870
    nvdia is the one trying to make the distinction, i`d imagine they are looking to peel off the titan brand from geforce , since they can probably make more money appealing to the emerging hobbist/semi pro market for highend gpus.
    Have a feeling they aren't quite sure how to go about doing that, so they take small steps.

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
  10. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    Nice... for us mortals we should wait for the NEXT GEN Ti card. That would be the one to look for. Hopefully AMD will have something ready by then as well...

11. xIcarus

xIcarus Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti AORUS
    Yeah I hear ya, at least we didn't get shafted this generation.
    Not so hopeful about the next ones indeed..

12. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6900XT, 2070
    on the real side...
    1) Nvidia, like Intel was caught napping while foundries throughout the Pacific were caught in a life or death struggle with Samsung. for real.
    the foundries accelerated (and often gov't. assisted) manufacturing technologies have shocked even Samsung (speaking of gov't assistance...U.S. & S. Korean).
    usually when caught in a fraught situation tech companies have traditionally run to IBM, and not just for process and fab., but for their deep knowledge and consulting. this was no different.

2) Qualcomm and Apple have driven the process shrinkage, not Intel or AMD.

3) Taiwan is the winner here. not China or South Korea. oh yeah, and the stockholders of TSMC (mainly Americans, then Taiwanese).

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    on Geforce site its by both Geforce10 and separate Titan..
    https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/127665
    [​IMG]

Imo its still a geforce with fancy bells and wishes enabled, does that justify 3K price? Well..not really unless that free cloud data really is so expensive and "they had to" price it based on that. I doubt those Tensor cores are soo expensive.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    No I was saying that they have the Titan V under just Titan is because it’s not a part of the 10xx series. When 20xx or 11xx comes it will get absorbed. This is a departure from the previous titans and more akin to the original Titan in having none of the compute components removed. Is it worth the $3k price tag? Depends, do you need the deep learning capability the tensor core enable? Do you need FP64? You can’t deny the performance of this card however. 40% faster than TXp while using the same amount of power.

Just imagine this card no FP64 or tensor cores. 40% more gaming performance over GP102 while using ~220W.

15. bombardier

bombardier Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 Phantom
    No comment !

[​IMG]

16. Qyu

Qyu New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti 11GB
    The Titan Z held it’s value as it is (prior to this new Titan V) the best ‘budget’ scientific computing card. Mine still beats my 1080Ti for double precision heavy simulations (computational fluid dynamics, which is my reasearch area).

Considering the step-up from the Titan Z is the Quadro GP100 (at ~£6K) or a Tesla cards with only passive cooling as an even higher price tag, this card is great news for people like me!

I seriously doubt this chip will find its way to the gaming consumer market - it will likely be a GV102, which, if I understand this right, could have a MUCH better performance in games, smaller die size, and cost far less. I would expect a *80Ti variant of this card (or a Titan with the GV102) to do just that. I also think the removal of SLI on his card really shows that it’s not aimed for gamers and is purely a compute card.

No LVLink is also fine, as up until now we have always usd multiGPU with MPI. The Quadro GP100 is a rare beats... It would be a sweet bonus for sure, but at this price tag who is to complain! :)

Stormyandcold likes this.
  17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Indeed, vs 980Ti @ 1469MHz

[​IMG]

18. rgothmog

rgothmog New Member

GPU:
    Zotac 980 TI Amp Extreme
    I suppose it will be as much to buy as UK"s brexit bill :)

19. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Without the tensor and FP64, this will probably be ~620mm², I guess that the eventual Ti will come around June, at around $1,000, and it will be the first real 4k60 GPU.

Unless AMD pulls a Ryzen with Navi (and it's quite possible they might, despite the trolls), then we're all screwed to pay mid range hardware as high end, and high end as stupid-premium.

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    why 1000$?

It will be the same as any other high-end 650-750$.