NVIDIA GTX 1170 Alleged Benchmark Leaked - beats 1080 Ti

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 23, 2018.

1. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    About damn time. 2 and a half years for a new series of GPU's seems like an eternity. Whether its fake or not, it's nice to hear some news about the 11 series being just on the horizon

2. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Well, at least fake news "brings everyone together"...kind of :D

Mat, Solareus Prime and Angantyr like this.
  3. looniam

looniam Guest

GPU:
    RTX3060 bcuz
    that won't change since prices will go up across the board, the x70 card can still be ~95% performance for ~80% cost w/1180 ~$650.

i am weighing much in an increase of the BOM w/gddr6 and the card looks to drive a 4k screen @60fps in most games. i'll paraphrase what i heard when i complained about nvidia's chip switching w/kepler: "you're paying for the performance, not the card (chip)."

i am hoping for the best and would like to see pricing staying similar as you think, but i am preparing myself for the worse and probably hanging on to my 980ti awhile longer.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    And one should consider market saturation. If nVidia wants to have improved sales in consumer market, they have to deliver GPUs which are cheaper while performing same. Which apparently leads to existence of price space for stronger GPUs.

This late into current 14nm GPUs, sales must sux. And they mentioned big inventory.
    Maybe this sample was 2x GPU each with 8GB :D Both AMD and nVidia are dancing around different forms of gluing chips together for quite some time. Maybe nVidia made good enough interconnect that each GPU has primary 8GB and can share it reasonably fast. (Would be great for servers.)

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Idk man, i doubt it.

Everytime this happened flagship got cheaper by 200€/$ while new model sells for much cheaper, in that area I mentioned the first time.

Initial leak was 399$ for 1170 and 699$ for 1180.

And again I still think this is it.

Perf. boost is logical, price is also, always was. Dunno what's so hard to understand here by some, perhaps some can't cope higher perf for cheaper?
    Brain can't handle such logic?

6. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I believe this is real, but it is up to a debate if 1180 Ti will be released at all. If AMD brings fair competition on table in 2019, Nvidia will immediatly release the highest end card, if their new architecture is capable to scale higher. There might be even more options this time with more Ti-models in between the other models. You have to remember that sometimes it's wise to move on to a new series just because you can and because it's not that expensive anymore.

This new series will have very appealing prices now when the cryptomining boom is finally over at the time of release, so people will upgrade before AMD has anything to offer. I'm quite sure that 1160 will cost little over 300 € and offers 1080 like performance. This is a very aggressive strategy which aims to make all potential customers to upgrade or buy a card from Nvidia to prevent people moving to AMD's side. It's hard to say how competitive AMD's Navi will be, but those who has GeForce 1000-series card should wait for AMD's offerings if they want to get their card cheap as possible or have recently bought a Freesync monitor.

I own a GTX 1070 and I'm eager to switch to AMD's side, so I will wait for the Navi-cards. I'm quite sure AMD will once again compete with price performance ratio, even if they would lose a little bit in power consumption, but I bet this time not nearly as bad as with desktop Vega. It can be possible to get a Navi-card that performs over GTX 1080 level just for 300 € if we are lucky.

EDIT. Forgot to mention that for example 1170 might have slightly higher power consumption compared to 1070, since the 12 nm manufacturing process might not allow low enough power consumption to not raise the consumption at all on a targeted performance level. Also expect much better DX12 and Vulkan performance from this new series, comparable to AMD's current performance gains on those APIs.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2018
  7. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    @Solareus Prime Chill out! The solution is simple: Do you want new graphic cards or keep the minerals underground? Answer: Graphic cards are awesome!

8. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Great now i know that replacing 10980Ti to 1180 will be worth it, no need to wait for 1180Ti, of course when 1180Ti comes out ill replace my 1180 to 1180Ti.

9. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    GO HUG A TREE!
    This is a computer building site, you really think your gonna green earth us till we can't see?
    Even if its fake news, its better then nothing...................

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    You want people to wake up? Tell that to India, Africa, and China. Yes, I included an entire continent. 95%+ of the damage to the Earth is coming from them.

Prince Valiant likes this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I woke up. I live from Sun now. But no worries, I'll not turn green. Because that's nVidia's color. Only minerals I need are simple rocks. Watch me eat, I am flower.

But, back to Earth now. Shall we? Human mining Earth's crust is a joke for now. I hope you know at least approximately diameter of Earth and how deep mines are. Mining is inconsequential on large scale, It "only" destroys local ecosystem.
    You should be more worried about deforestation which brings entire water circulation system down to its knees. About pollution of oceans. There is our lasting impact.

12. JethroTu11

JethroTu11 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050ti
    Wow! I didn't think that statement would be very fashionable here. I commend you on your kind and empathetic words.

I got the same kind of feelings reading the replies, that power consumption doesn't matter, to the article about intel's new cpus.

Solareus Prime likes this.
  13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    16 gig of vram?....Why?

And if that is all true then what are these going to cost, £900. lol

14. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Hoping next gen finally opens the door for real 4k experience. My 1080 does a ok Job, but pascal isnt a true 4k gpus. Im also looking forward to navi, hope amd delivers a ok gpu. Vega was a bit rushed, and they didnt have much resources because of they used much of it on the cpus. Thats what iv heard at least..

15. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    My 1080ti does an awesome job at 4K with no AA so anything faster than a 1080ti is going to be good at 4k

16. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Yea, i seen benchmarks. I considered getting one to replace my regular 1080 but my wallet didnt agree plus wasnt worth the hassle, i had to upgrade before ti came, but i bought every part on a sale. I can still sell it and not loose much money, and im happy with the card so even if timing was shitty. I could have done much worse.. :p
    Im going to wait for next gen, maybe even navi. The ti can do 60fps in most games in 4k, even mine gpu can somewhat manage that with some tweaks. Wouldnt say ti or even titan does a awesome job but it has opened the door for 4k. No doubt about that, and 1080+ does a ok job handling 4k.

EDIT: I didnt go into it in previous post, im also hoping next gen. gpus maybe can open the door for higher resolution and better 3d experience with stuff like vive, etc. If im not wrong, 90fps is what current vive runs at. Running even 3k on some games over 90 on pascal is on the borderline with pascal.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2018
  17. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I don't think you understand what's going on. It's not this side of the planet's fault. Much of it would be just as it is regardless of us.

18. looniam

looniam Guest

GPU:
    RTX3060 bcuz
    i don't know how much NV is going to try and push those BMFD (or whatever) 4k/120hz Gsync displays but looking at the most recent 1080ti benchmarks on this site, two games are ~45fps, most are 60-65 and a few >70fps.

a ~35% increase (1080ti-1180ti) would make those 61, 81-88 and >94fps respectively.

that might be close enough.

i know you're talking VR but i don't have the space or cash (so no interest) which leads me not to speak that language very well. :(

19. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    You can always use that hardware for research purposes. Although GPUs are primarily focused on gaming they also make fantastic general purpose computing devices. Apps like folding@home and BOINC make it easy for anybody to contribute to science, assisting in research that could help the world (I contribute most of my CPU time to said research, helping mostly with humanitarian projects). Newer hardware can accelerate this process (and do it with less energy) so from my perspective, advances in technology is always welcome.

jura11 likes this.
  20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090