NVIDIA GSYNC in da House

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Dec 6, 2013.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    1080P or 1440P is ok at 120-144Hz

& page #12
    http://www.vesa.org/wp-content/uplo...evCon-Presentation-DP-1.2-Dec-2010-rev-2b.pdf

2. Spets

Spets Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Tom Petersen said they're only concentrating on getting it right with DP first but won't be limited to it.

1:12:30 during the interview.
    http://www.pcper.com/news/Graphics-Cards/PCPer-Live-NVIDIA-G-Sync-Discussion-Tom-Petersen-QA

3. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Well that's definitely good to know. thanks for the info tj amd Spets.

4. Poor Tom

Poor Tom Active Member

GPU:
    6900XT OC
    If it requires driver support then it could be hit or miss from month to month and game to game. Hope I'm not being paranoid.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    It's a fundamental change at the level of the GPU sending out information to the monitor. Should be a universal solution that works across everything.

6. ßÍöHÅZÅRD§pëRM

ßÍöHÅZÅRD§pëRM Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA-680 FTW+
    i dont believe this is a per game codeing ,its a part of the core driver itself ,just a set of instructions to be read then executed during use as a standard across anything it renders .

7. mitzi76

mitzi76 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    well i understand that but for me 60hz with vsync has had no tearing whatsoever. but then the screen did cost me £300 or more 4 yrs back..(benq241w)

i have noticed a slight ghosting affect maybe in one corner. it's hard to see and diff to explain, well i think it's ghosting, it's like a smudge..(cant see it on desktop).

but for me tearing i really need to see more screens to make a judgement.

i'd actually consider running at 60hz as long as it's ips. so i like the idea of gsync but as another member here posted he wants ips screen as well and perhaps a bigger res.

certainly when i upgrade my screen i want 27inch higher res.

ofc i'd love to try out a gsync screen.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  8. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Getting one of these almost certainly.

No tearing, no input lag, works down to 35fps for smooth gaming apparently.

Was considering a 290x for Mantle, but if this works, then who will need an extra 20% perf increase ?

9. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    hi thanks, yes ive read what it does, but my question is basicly, will gettting hiend video card now useless/pointless due to gsync.

10. Riffmaster

Riffmaster Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 Lightning Extreme
    I think this is something that you need to test and see for yourself on the spot. Reviews and youtube videos will probably not be enough for you to render a good judgment of this technology. You can already see the descriptions of this tech by some people, like the people who were invited on that gsync event saying that it's "incredible", "impressive" and then some "weird" (but in a good way I guess). It's like the advent of 120hz (and above) or 3D or IPS panels, its very hard to draw conclusions just by reading reviews and watching youtube videos of it. :)

11. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    No, since more FPS will still mean a better experience.
    There's no way around that fact.

12. grndzro7

grndzro7 Member

GPU:
    7850 @ 1200/1400
    I'd still as a FPS gamer rather have AMD's mantle and gain 20-50% more performance.

13. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    Depending on your needs, really.

If you want to play demanding games on anything above 1080p with quality set to max, you'd still need a high-end card.
    Keep in mind that GSync's effective fps range is probably 30fps and up, simply due to LCD monitor limitations.
    Anything lower and the game will still look stuttery simply due to low fps regardless of using GSync or not.

GSync does not compensate for lack of frames, it just tells the monitor to set its refresh rate to match the fps the graphics card is outputting.
    Moreover, it won't tell a monitor to set its refresh rate to anything lower than 30fps.
    e.g. your game runs at 20-ish fps, then GSync can only try to set the refresh rate to 30Hz, so the game will still look stuttery and with screen-tearing.

I'm pretty sure anyone who has generally played in 60+fps will notice the difference when the game dips into 30-ish fps regardless of GSync.
    So, yeah, high-end cards are still relevant, at least as much as the games you're playing are concerned, especially when you also use SweetFX, ENB, or eFX.

14. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    where did you read 20-50%. I thought it was up to 20%?

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Don't crush the fanboy's dream let alone tell him his 4xxx will not work with Mantle.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Hilbert when you do your review mind test if gsync being forced threw NVCP work in windowed and window (fullscreen) games cause last i checked Forceing vsync thew NVCP dont work in windowed games

17. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    I'm guessing G-Sync should work while on the Desktop, too, no reason it shouldn't.

Also, why would you force VSync for Windowed games? Don't they follow the Desktop's VSync if composition is enabled?

18. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    that is is your dont disable composition for the game if you do you lose that vsync unless the game has vsync options.

For instance Witcher by defualt has vsync off and need to be forced threw nvcp as as far as i know, and if you run witcher in windowed mode vsync stays off even if you have it forced on in nvcp (profile)it will work if the game is ran in fullscreen mode though, just not windowed

19. slickric21

slickric21 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080ti SC / Gsync
    Yeah i hear what your saying, but if well respected and impartial reviewers are hinting that this is game changing....... then im excited by it.

But yeah, time will tell !!!

20. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    i will take 3 please! :D