Nvidia GPU scaling bad quality

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by nklvjvc, Feb 10, 2021.

1. SDMF74

SDMF74 New Member

GPU:
    gtx 780ti class. K|ngp|n
    This is an area I dont know much about and I can t find any info about Amperes scaler, whether its the same as turings or not etc.

1. So say with an Asus PG279 1440p gsync monitor & RTX 3080 should I use DISPLAY or GPU Scaling?
    (I almost always play games with gsync & vsync both enabled with Ultra low latency enabled also.)

2. Should I set mode to "No scaling" since I always play at my monitors native resolution?

3. You guys seem to be saying that GPU scaling is better than display scaling but wouldnt it defeat the purpose to set it to GPU scaling when using a gsync monitor?
    Or does it not matter since Im always playing at my native res anyway?

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  2. janos666

janos666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Generally yes, it doesn't matter for native resolution. But I still leave the switch on Display just in case the GPU scaler is active in the pipeline (and thus adding latency) even for native resolution (even when the scaling is a no-op) when it's selected.
    I can't recall exactly but I think today it's not adding any latency (when it's selected but you are on native resolution). I remember it was filed as a bug some years ago how it did back then. I guess it was fix. But I can vaguely recall this story, so don't quote or trust me on this (hence my ongoing caution).

3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    The GPU scaler can be used even if you select display scaling. This happens when the display's EDID does not include the mode you're trying to use in its list of supported modes. So if your worry about "it always adding latency" would be true, selecting display scaling wouldn't fix it.

4. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 3070 OC
    I have a similar Asus display, the 32'' 1440p 165hz model.

In the specific case of this display, the display scaler looks far better. I've tried both, the GPU scaling on this display is so awesome that I played a few hours on 1080p thinking it was on 1440p.

GPU scaling gives me a kind of blurred image.

So I gues it really depends on the display upscaling capabilities.

5. janos666

janos666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    Yeah, that's probably right. The GPU scaler is probably always part of the pipeline, just doing nothing in case you use display supported modes (in case of Display Scaling selected in NVCP) or native resolution (regardless of the setting).
    But how do you select modes outside of the EDID support list besides adding them as a custom resolution? The driver and non-achcaic applications grab the list from EDID. And I am sure pretty much all display scalers support 640x480 (for archaic applications and the likes of RPG Maker and emulators, etc).

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021