NVIDIA: GPU prices will continue increasing through Q3 2018

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Shaxuul

Shaxuul Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SC
    All hail Oregon Trail!

ubercake, HandR and maikai like this.
  2. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Strix
    Yupp I gave-up racing long time ago and took-up pc gaming now its time to switch it up again.On the bright side tough you guys can start weight training like I did only costs me $25 a month lol.

I might just build another system using the new Amd apu since they are so cheep and the i-gpu is actually just good enough,If prices fall I can add a dedicated to that system as well. You gotta be either really rich to drop over 1k per video card compared to the original msrp screw-that.

3. Gahl1k

Gahl1k New Member

GPU:
    GT 440 1GB
    Waiting for Coffee Lake processors' launch while having enough cash to burn on a new PC build was (and still is) the worst mistake I have ever done in my life. Now I am stuck with this potato, and there is no bright hope in the foreseeable future. [​IMG]

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Apple II verison only!

ubercake and airbud7 like this.

5. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    That's my first memory of PC Gaming (or any video game) so the nostalgia is strong for that one. :) (1985 version for me, not the older 1979 version).

airbud7 and Killian38 like this.
  6. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra
    Seems like my 1070 FE at $400 USD was a bargain back in October. Should have bought the 1080 FE instead.

7. Killian38

Killian38 Master Guru

GPU:
    Done spending my money on Any PC/tech hardware until The Dip Sh#$'$ that think they control price cry momma. I need to eat. I don't need a PC.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  8. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RX 470 Strix
    Looks like I will be sticking with my video card for a few years.

Prince Valiant, airbud7 and Killian38 like this.
  9. GxCx

GxCx Member

GPU:
    burned
    until it broke, like mine )
    quadros will last
    isnt there some detail heat emission map of earth, just to see where the hell all the gpu work at?

10. gydj

gydj Active Member

GPU:
    Titan Xp
    When people see the all the way cut down 2080 launch @ 1999 they will finally acknowledge Titan V's price was a steal, lol

fry178 and airbud7 like this.

11. Killian38

Killian38 Master Guru

GPU:
    The tides may turn faster. More and more states in the U.S. are deciding to accept cryptocurrency as tax payment options. What does this mean? If a Government or business decides to accept it as payment they will demand it be a stable form of payment. The more folks accepting it the faster the prices of derpcoin will drop/stabilize. If everyone used it everyday Just like cold hard cash it would no longer exist. We need more private entities and governments to accept it in order to get This Horses#$%^ under control.

The Sad part or not so sad part is that most folks are smart. They know they have a great chance of a lose when accepting it.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
  12. GxCx

GxCx Member

GPU:
    burned
    cant wait until its legalized and your smart-fone will mine some to survive to next month
    bitcoin was done for cpu, now we need some coins for ARM, and better batteries
    maybe the e-cars will mine some in the nearest future )

13. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    you can't pay tax with cryptocurrency!....Can you?.....what state?...curious?

14. Elder III

Elder III Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Arizona appears to be about to pass it in their legislature and Georgia is now discussing it (although I don't think they even have a bill submitted yet?). Also, Wyoming has a bill introduced that would make it so crypto related businesses would not pay property tax... I'm honestly not sure how that one would work out but it's the most interesting/appealing for me.

ubercake likes this.
  15. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S WaterForceWB
    @Neo Cyrus
    and once you want to do things like surfing the web/office/email, you quickly realise that the console wont help with more than the gaming part.
    i rather spend 1500 and be able to do my resume on a moni ... :rolleyes:

but seriously, for +1000$ price tag cards, i only see 1080 ti's, not really cards the avg user buys, anyway.
    even that i dont mind spending a bit "more", the 1080 i got a month ago, is the first time in 15y where i bought a chip bigger than x60/x70,
    and its really only because of how crappy siege runs (min/avg fps).

@will87
    lol at comparing money it costs to get it, rather than msrp/gpu class.
    what did the PS/PS2/PS3/PS4 or XB/360/One, each cost at release?
    was it the same??

16. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/ MAC M1
    This was to be expected after all. As long as we have mining craze, we are competing (price wise) with a "business" (if you can call crypto-scammers that way) sector type of demand/pricing.

Hence as a result, consumer market suffers. Nvidia has to realise that they cannot sell the same product both to consumers/business.

Personally, the only solution I see to this is the rumoured Crypto cards being released for a purely mining purpose. However ONLY way those will work and sell well, will be if they give a substantially better mining performance for same/ lesser price and will have no use for anything else.

Because if we have a mining card, that will be 10/15% better compared to its consumer version, that will not change anything. Crypto scum will still buy consumer cards.

Personally, I have a massive list over the years of games that I haven't even touched, and they should run flawlessly with my 1080ti (during purchase I was regretting of its price, now its even more expensive, Christ almighty xD )
    and my recent purchase of PS3 Slim will keep me busy for the months (hell, years even) to come until this whole silly situation normalizes.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Honestly, I probably can still afford to buy myself a new, full fledged gaming rig. But that doesn't mean it's a sensible thing to do.

With current HW flaws (spectre / meltdown) investing in a CPU is somewhat problematic, buying new RAM is expensive, and a new GPU is not only costly but might not even be available, depending on the model you want.
    Seems like they don't want to offer us good buys...

We shall see how this might change in 2018 but maybe the companies can use a bit of disappearing revenue to realise they are not really doing anything to keep the market healthy.
    And yes, with that I mean red, green, and blue.

Killian38 and fry178 like this.
  18. EJocys

EJocys Member Guru

GPU:
    nVidia 1070
    With only 2 manufacturers, strictly controlling supply via licensing, it is possible to do price fixing without any meetings. World needs more dedicated GPU manufacturers. We need Intel back.

fantaskarsef and cryohellinc like this.
  19. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT/ MAC M1
    Don't forget about 3dfx! ;)

And extra manufacturer would certainly spice things up. Not sure how fast will Raja do anything at Intel, as it's something that takes years, but I do hope they will come up with their own line of GPU's in future.

However what we Really need right now is a clear distinction between consumer market, which after all is also powering and dragging behind it whole Gaming industry, and Crypto market.

Consumer market was the one that brought Nvidia / AMD to where they are now, and they better remember it. Games and gaming will always be there regardless of time. Crypto on the other hand, is a trend which may be there in future, or pop and disappear forever into the void. Its a Gold-Rush. We can all speculate all we want, but nobody knows for sure how long will it last.

And manufacturers have to understand this, demand for their products is incredibly high right now, so from a perspective of a business its perfect - demand is higher than supply, as a result, we can pump up the prices all we (or well, our distributors, but hey they still Share the profit) want up until the market stabilizes. Except it won't, not in this case.

While crypto is there, demand for GPU's will be insanely high which in results will further shrink Consumer market up to the point where you have modern titles that nobody can run. Game developers, on the other hand, will switch to Console industry and by this point, too much damage will be done to this market sector.

Manufacturers will alienate their core long-term client base in favour of fast cash, but IF Crypto fails they will face a serious issue of an overabundance of their product in a market where they are no longer in demand.

Make those Crypto GPU's Nvidia/ AMD, and limit the mining performance of consumer grade ones on driver/firmware or whatever else level. Gaming cards have to be for Games, not for Crypto.

[​IMG]

20. LevelSteam

LevelSteam Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti 8GB
    Well I was hoping to upgrade from my GTX 980 to a 2070 or 2080 when they launch, but if the MSRP is going to be what cards are currently going for (between $1-1.2k where I am) then I'm just going to sit on my card even longer. Maybe put the money into water cooling it instead.

It's really disappointing to see nVidia burn their long time customers in favor of some quick miner cash.