NVIDIA: GPU prices will continue increasing through Q3 2018

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 25, 2018.

1. {LOD}PITBULL

{LOD}PITBULL Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 290x
    THANK GOD I bought my 1080TI when it was $700 6 months ago

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Singleton99

Singleton99 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Aorus-Extreme-1080TI
    This is just really bad news , surely this price hike will have to end at some point in time , Im kinda glad that i downgraded my monitor now from 1440p to 1080p so i wont be needing to upgrade anytime soon,but to anyone building a new PC this is a bad time to do so .

My card @ new last year was £699.00 now its £998.99 form the same place (crazy) , there's no way i would pay a grand for the same card , and my DDR4 16gb was 79.99 now 199.99 this is even crazier.

fantaskarsef and -Tj- like this.
  3. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    First a rumour about "No new GPU", even though we know the Pascal chip is no longer being manufactured. And now price increase "talk". I think they just want us to not stop buying Pascal gen GPU, rather than wait for the new upcoming chip.

4. pegasus1

pegasus1 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz
    This comment reminds me of those people who flock to social media in disgust when their favourite book is made into a film but the film is different to how they imagined it would be. NV are a business not a charity, if you think they made the current architecture 'just for gamers' you are delusional, you have zero ownership of somebody else's technology or business plan.

5. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Plenty of us. I own a 1080ti. This is a first world country. Please take you ignorance elsewhere.
    I'm selling my 1080ti now and ordering 2 from there for sli. :p
    I'm pretty sure that was a joke.
    They have been since the beginning. I live in Taiwan, where GPUs are made. At least MSI, Asus and Gigabyte. Don't think it's going to change.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    airbud7 likes this.
  6. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Still happy i bought a Vega 56 for 400 Eypo on release. Both GPU and ram prices are insane, though on the GPU prices the biggest increase is shop markup these days.

7. blackdog62

blackdog62 Member

GPU:
    2 Gigabyte R9 290X
    Guess my two R9-290X's will have to last a bit longer.

airbud7 likes this.
  8. screwtech02

screwtech02 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 Super
    Upgraded to 3 new monitors as opposed to new GPU's. My 3-R9 390's still have life in em...

9. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Agreed. One of my brothers had a card fail on them about a week ago but, thankfully, I was able to get a 960 at an acceptable price.

10. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6900xt / RTX3090
    This news are really sad to hear for those looking forward to buy or upgrade to a new graphics card for gaming. It might be a year or more before the prices come down a bit i guess and all i know is this stupid crazy mining bubble is killing PC gaming slowly :(

I was lucky i bought my 1080Ti on sale for $680 Dollars a long time ago , close to release date. I'm not doing any overvoltage or overclocking because i need this video card to last me a couple of years. I think i'm done upgrading PC components for a while , the future is looking dark for PC gaming ...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Very bad news for those who want or need a new GPU. Mining is slowing destroying GPU prices making them too expensive for lots of people and until mining reaches the point where using GPUs is no longer profitable or explodes, this situation will continue to get worse and worse...

I´m lucky that i have a GPU for the next 3 or more years but if for some reason my GPU dies then i don´t know that i´m gonna do...

12. moeppel

moeppel Member Guru

GPU:
    1080 Ti
    Not the types of estimation you'd want.

Granted, GPU producers are in a tight spot. Should Nvidia/AMD ramp up chip production and the crypto bubble burst the markets will be flooded with used cards and inventory will not clear for either. If they don't ramp up production then gaming, for the unforseeable future, can be considered dead. Chances are they'll opt for increased MSRPs on their end so retailers aren't the only people cashing in on the situation.

When Vega turned out to be mildly disappointing I opted for a 1080Ti - at that time on sale for 680€ (August). Chances are I could easily sell it for a win today.

You know stuff is weird when GPUs turn into valuable investment assets.

airbud7 and H83 like this.
  13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  14. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    Cheaper to buy a couple of Xbox / PlayStation's than a single card these days.

Will developers keep minimum requirements toned down to reach a larger market now the Joe public can't afford a decent setup to play anything worthwhile?

15. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I could have grabbed a used 980ti for $250 a year ago!....bad move on my part.

16. FM57

FM57 Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 2070
    2 things need to happen:
    - Crypto-currencies need to fall even more
    - electricity prices need to go up (China ?)

Then we will see a graphic card-nado with a tsunami of used GC for low prices.

Just a matter a time for the prices to go down

17. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070 @2050Mhz
    I think you're alright to overclock, especially if temperatures are good & you don't increase the voltage - I'd just overclock to the max without increasing voltage (that's what I do).

Yeah, these prices for GPUs are crazy (as well as DDR4 prices) - 75% increase in price of my Zotac GTX 1070 Amp Edition here in UK since Nov 2016 when I bought it, and that's for a launched card that is nearly 2 yrs old in a situation where a new GPU architecture is gonna be released this year, a real bad time to buy a GPU right now, may as well kick yourself in the nuts instead, a better deal overall!

airbud7 and Dragam1337 like this.
  18. AMD4Life

AMD4Life Member Guru

GPU:
    NV GTX 980 TI 6GB
    Built a whole new system (minus a GPU) in December. Still using my trusty old GTX 980 Ti for now, which is plenty for 1080p. Kinda getting annoyed though, I was hoping to have moved to 1440p & GSync by now. Not touching it until the GPU prices become reasonable again.

airbud7 likes this.
  19. Shaxuul

Shaxuul Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1050 Ti SC
    Man, sure glad I grabbed my GTX 1050 Ti for $135 before this drama happened. Thing is on sale for $320 right now, lol. What a steal!!!

Hulk12, airbud7 and Robbo9999 like this.
  20. will87

will87 Member

GPU:
    MSI GeForce GTX 970
    Graphics cards have been a joke for ages now. Got my GTX 970 for £260 back in Oct 2014, over 3 years on and what can I get for the same money, a 1060 3GB, +5-10% performance at best, slower in some games, shocking.