NVIDIA: GPU prices will continue increasing through Q3 2018

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 25, 2018.

1. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 ♥ MESA 21.3
    I know it sucks, but it's a free market and I honestly think cryptominers get way to much heat.

2. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC
    Can't say I'm pleased with the whole mining situation (it's also an enormous energy-drain). The only good thing is that I could sell my rx480 8GB for a higher price than I bought it.

airbud7 and Silva like this.
  3. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    Agreed, the Xbox One X is quite impressive. I bought it for fun and mostly as a media center and UHD BluRay player for our big 4k TV in the living room as well as to play some games not available on the PC, but surprisingly the performance and quality in most "4K" games is good enough to even rival that of my PC, which I certainly didn't expect. If it had keyboard and mouse support for games (which Microsoft apparently is working on) that I prefer them on (shooters, strategy, etc.), I would be tempted to fully switch to console gaming (especially with RAM and video card prices - and the price/performance gain ratio - being through the roof enough that I can't get myself to upgrade my PC).
    As for loading times, one can upgrade the Xbox One X with an SSD as well (although replacing the stock HDD with it can be a bit tricky).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018
    maikai and airbud7 like this.
  4. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Yawn, do we really need another article on this issue that only effects some countries? No price spikes here. Prices never changed since the release of pascal.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018

5. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    I really despise mining. I really think there are jobs people can do, they just don't want to. Then these same people complain about having no income and money for anything.

If they would just focus and apply themselves to something, anything to start with and show they care, they could eventually move up into another job somewhere else.

People work a part time job.....then mine the rest of the day.

Is it really worth the power bill? Is it really worth all that?

It's hurting the economy as a whole imho. It may be "cool" or a "craze" whatever you want to call it, but it's letting rogue nations build nukes too. Not something to be proud of yet again IMHO.

This article is yet another issue we face as enthusiasts with a hobby. We can't get a hold of a card at a normal decent price that we should be able to, to actually enjoy what it was meant to do.

It kinda gives me these moments where i feel bummed about my hobby because of this mining crap. Why hurt others?

In essence this is almost selfishness and it IS hurting others.

To be honest, Once they start shipping from other countries to meet demands in the shorted ones, then it's not just them.

schmidtbag and Silva like this.
  6. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I'm right there with you on that shtuff!!!

7. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I just hope that all of these miners get a hold of something "extra special" for all of their efforts! Any way they could all be slipped something of a rootkit/malware to end this sorry obsession that is mining?!?!

Could anything be done, or is this risk already plausible and I'm just ignorant about it all??

I was so about to bite down hard and build a new system this year, but that seems like it is years off as of now.

8. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    If the gtx 2080 is more than the release price was for the 1080ti then they can frack right off.

Silva likes this.
  9. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    And F@H is not a massive energy drain...Sure F@H is ok because it benefits humanity, right? Yea, right. Well mining benefits individual's pockets, company pockets, store pockets, etc.
    You could have also used your 480 to mine and got ROI on it twice by now, but hey, what do I know.

10. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3060 Ti
    My other hobby was racing which requires gasoline. I no longer have any hobbies...:(

fantaskarsef likes this.

11. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX560 4G
    I share the same opinion: I would have bought a R5 1600+AsusB350 if not for DDR4 prices.
    Last year I tried to get a RX570 at decent price (was 210€), no there's no stock or they're double the price.
    I bought an Orange amp and have been practice more guitar. Having more fun than playing games for sure!
    removed

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2018
  12. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    Spoken like a true miner

I bet they have. They have increased worldwide and no country is an exception. Unless your prices were already super over-inflated to begin with
    You probably just weren't paying attention but I can assure you that prices have increased absolutely everywhere, no exceptions

13. fernake

fernake Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix GTX 1080 OC
    It seems that the end of the video game is approaching on PC.

14. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    I'm sorry but you're wrong. Mining isn't popular and gpu prices are very normal here in Taiwan. They also are always in stock and on shelves.
    A few quick links I pulled from online shopping here. Quick converted it to AUD seeing you are in Australia
    1060 6gb for 11,990NT (~521AUD)
    https://shopee.tw/GTX1060-技嘉-GTX-1060-G1-Gaming-6G-GV-N1060G1-GAMING-6GD-i.5596257.904487114
    1070 for 16,890nt (~735AUD)
    https://shopee.tw/GTX1070-技嘉-N1070WF2OC-8GD(四年保固)28.5cm-GTX-1070-N1070-i.5596257.37405667
    1080ti for 27,990NT (~1,218AUD)
    http://goods.ruten.com.tw/item/show?21737088035790
    These are the exact same prices that were around since the beginning.

15. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    How many Taiwanese can afford to buy 1080Ti? How many can afford to buy 6 GPUs and start mining? Yea, that's what I thought.

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    Nearly the entire world has had their GPU prices double to triple. Every EU country I've heard so far, and North America I'm sure of. Either of those continents are enough for it to warranty a story every time.

Do those Taiwanese prices include tax?

17. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Yes tax is included.

18. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    That first link shows 1060 cost $11,990....there only $350 here.

:D

19. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    Taiwanese dollar...

20. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    fantaskarsef likes this.