NVIDIA: GPU prices will continue increasing through Q3 2018

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Feb 25, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    :(

Silva likes this.
  3. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Ha ha ha to the haters who said " Don't buy a 1080Ti on release day for £695".

fantaskarsef, typhon6657 and Solfaur like this.
  4. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    Can someone tell me who is doing the price gouging?
    Nvidia/AMD; do they put the trade price up because of Ram shortages?
    Are the Retailers adding extra money to the original price to screw over customers?

Who is turning the £300 cards to £600? Who is making that extra £300 profit?

Killian38 likes this.

5. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    Market forces, those at each level will charge the maximum they can whilst still generating sales. There is a price/volume ratio that varies according to supply and demand. It's the same for all businesses.

6. spex_2

spex_2 Guest

GPU:
    a
    i had saved up 3000€ for this years upgrades, cpu / ram / gpu.

but guess what? i bought a nintendo switch and 8 games, four 8tb hdds for my home server, a new mobile phone, a 4k screen and a new server case and psu. the rest of the money will go down the drain for beer, fun and my girl. my pc`s can age from now on, i don`t care. i wont blow out my money for them, at the current pricing.

it seems like jim sterling say`s: "they don`t want a lot of money, they want all the money!!" so i give them no money until i must buy cus my systems are dead in the gutter.

7. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    i really wish cpu mining was the in thing, not GPUs, cos gpu upgrading is more important when it comes to gamiing, cpu can survive a fair amount of time

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I'm glad I don't need a new video card any time soon, but this sucks for anyone who does....and I feel bad for those people.

airbud7 likes this.
  9. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    From what I've heard a chunk of the gouging is the RAM suppliers causing nVidia/AMD to increase their official MSRP, but the vast majority of it is the retailers selling cards at insane prices. Every official partner site I've seen selling cards had them far closer to MSRP or at MSRP versus what's available in stores at 2-3x that. The big issue with the RAM isn't that it just raises the direct price (last increase I heard was $30 USD per 8GB GDDR5 direct cost to the card manufacturers), it's that it's part of the reason for the shortage. Partners are hesitant to order enough RAM at such high prices to keep enough stock going for prices to not go nuts. They don't want to risk being stuck with a ton of overstock like the last time a crash happened.

Great for nVidia and would have been great for AMD if they were selling anything, but 2017 and now 2018 are turning out to be the (relative) worst year for PC gamers that I can remember. We're not going to get high frame rates at 4K becoming a standard anytime soon.

10. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Maybe some people thought I was joking when I suggested buying an Xbox 1 X previously, but these days it's the best gaming experience you're going to get on a budget. It can deliver a 1080p/60fps or 4K/30fps experience at high enough of a quality that it should be fine for PC gamers, if the loading times and input lag don't kill you. When a video card that's not even the top model costs $1.5K, it's time to ask yourself how much of an increase to the enjoyment it will bring over a $500 XB1X.

I hate the tight restrictions, and horrible loading times, (and plethora of other issues) of consoles as much anyone, but if I really wanted to play games at a decent quality, was on a budget, and couldn't wait, I'd actually buy a console. Unlike the PS3/360 generation, there isn't some horrendous face-melting difference versus a mid range PC. No 1024x576 res games running at 20fps with textures so low res that you can count the pixels. *cough*Platinum Games*cough*

The market due to video card and RAM prices is so screwed that it's actually cheaper to buy a pre-built system than build your own. Time to buy consoles folks.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If the hardware you currently have is functional and sufficient to run newer games, there's no reason to jump over to consoles. If you actually NEED a new graphics card, on the other hand, consoles aren't a bad idea as a way to hold out until prices finally become reasonable again.

What I wonder is, how much of this shortage is real and how much is just a way to justify higher prices down the road.....

Silva and airbud7 like this.
  12. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    I'm not sure this issue has hit gami g laptops, I've bought a NV 1060 based MSI lappy for less money than I did a 970M lappy 2 years ago.

13. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Backlog and retro gaming it is then.

ubercake, Robbo9999, Silva and 4 others like this.
  14. Imglidinhere

Imglidinhere Guest

GPU:
    12GB RX 6700XT
    Like... if the trend continues, it might be CHEAPER to buy a gaming laptop rather than build a desktop with the same specs! I know it sounds silly to have a laptop with a 1070 costing over $1800, but heck, it costs about that much for a desktop these days anyway! o_O

schmidtbag and Silva like this.
  15. shymi

shymi Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    ^This and some PS4 games for me. I wonder how the rising prices will affect game publishers.

Silva likes this.

16. Seikon

Seikon Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8g
    Damn , i guess it's time to dial back the mad OC on my rx480(1480mhz) , i don't have the $$ to buy a replacement in case it dies xD , god know's when we will se decent gfx's cards under 300euros again :(

airbud7 likes this.
  17. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    PC gaming is leaving its last breath.
    A mid range GPU costs around 450-500 euros now.
    RAM prices are triple from what they should be.
    And I'm here waiting for the next component price doubling.
    PSUs? Fans? Coolers? Motherboards?
    Those companies now are looking ways to double their prices as well.
    They are feeling left out from the huge feast.
    It's beyond ridiculous.
    Good thing my GTX970 can still handle my 1080p 60hz monitor.

Silva likes this.
  18. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    I'm happy currently with my Ryzen 2400G :)

Silva likes this.
  19. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well it's like they say in the crytpocurrency world when a shitcoin is released... TO THE MOON! Guess there's where the GPU prices will head to as well.

Silva likes this.
  20. nz3777

nz3777 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gtx 980 Radeon 5500
    Sucks for us regular pc gamers but oh well I guess? 1st we had coffee lake shortage now gpu shortage whats next iam curious??? Hell even ssd prices went up I read.
    At Micro center you cant even find a high-end gpu in stock like 1080ti all they carry is 1050ti and priced at like $250 and up yeah id really pay that much for a crap 1050.Damm miners iam really starting to dislike those guys,lets start a anti-mining group guys whos with me??? Lol.