1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA GPU F@H Client Test Results

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by jimbobjames, Jun 18, 2008.

1. sardine

sardine Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 680m GTX 4gb
    This is a good example of OLD card Vs NEW Card.

8800 gtx folding 85c (Idle 60c) (Double slot)
    8800 GT Folding 55c (Idle 45c) (Single Slot)

I would clock the shaders but I think my GTX is hot enough as it is :D

2. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    Irrelevant? Discussing what your crunching in this thread is irrelevant?

Oh so you setup, control and oversee all that goes on at stanford? Cool, it must be totally legit then.

Believe it or not, that's called looking for a cure.

Hmmm, your a top folder yet you don't know cancer is a disease? wow.
    Maybe you should use your computer to find out what cancer is.

http://training.seer.cancer.gov/module_cancer_disease/unit2_whatscancer1_definition.html
    There are many texts and references that attempt to define cancer. The simplest definition is from the American Cancer Society (ACS). According to the ACS, cancer is a group of diseases characterized by uncontrolled growth and spread of abnormal cells. If the spread is not controlled, it can result in death.

Good for you. I lost my uncle (cancerous ulcer), my cousin (melanoma on his face), my aunt (stomach cancer) and my mother (lung cancer). My sister had her leg amputated at the age of 11 due to a tumour on her knee (she's 42 now :)). I know all about cancer buddy. I also know the doctors are about as close to curing ANY form of cancer as they've ever been.

No, I was merely stating another viewpoint. I wasn't trying to convert all your followers. I've donated my fair share to cancer funds in my time, and in 30years I've never seen a single cure, cept for cut it out and nuc the patient with kemo approach, and I have a funny feeling I'll see as many breakthroughs from a hord of guys folding with their gpu's.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  3. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Well it’s not a disease since genetic variation/mutation does not come under disease definitively. As abnormal cells are a product from this variation or possible mutation which is why you cannot 'yet' directly stop or cure it but can help prevent it *just*.

Also yes it is looking for a cure, well done which is what I've said. I’m just confused to why you would've posted this in this topic "NVIDIA GPU F@H Client Test Results" which correct me if I’m wrong nothing to do with generalised topics discussing whether or not folding actually works - so yes in this thread it is pretty much irrelevant, sorry.

4. MOFO64

MOFO64 Banned

GPU:
    9800GTX+ & 8800GT softTH
    Well, where would you have me post it....in the 4870 review thread? c'mon

I posted in reply to XRC6 a few posts up when he said he considered it would probably be more beneficial to donate $$$$$.

I ain't raining on your parade, I wish you the best of luck with your gpu folding.

I tried it myself to see what all the fuss is about but when I installed 177.35 with the modded inf, after a restart I was back to no display driver! I tried a second time and the nvidia installer finished as expected, said I needed a restart, then once again when it restarted and got to desktop I was on 800x600 with standard vga driver????

So.....I guess I won't be folding afterall. :puke2:

5. Xenthalon

Xenthalon New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX460 1024MB
    I'm at about 4360ppd on 8800gt@700/1750/1000, I do think it reported about 4600ppd though a couple of hours ago.

6. Luvabud

Luvabud Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 6GB
    Project : 5003
    Core : GPUv2 Gromacs
    Frames : 100
    Credit : 479

-- GPU 1 --

Min. Time / Frame : 1mn 18s - 5305.85 ppd
    Avg. Time / Frame : 1mn 22s - 5047.02 ppd
    Cur. Time / Frame : 1mn 22s - 5047.02 ppd
    R3F. Time / Frame : 1mn 21s - 5109.33 ppd
    Eff. Time / Frame : 1mn 24s - 4926.86 ppd

No kidding, clocks at 621/1512/1008 62'C

675/1674/1008 is the highest I've attempted and got over 6000ppd on project 5002. Played a game with those clocks and I've never seen so many artifacts before in my life, got a bsod a few seconds later.

7. garylouden

garylouden Maha Guru

GPU:
    BFG OC GTX280
    Where do you get these stats?

would like to see what im getting

8. aircool

GPU:

• Install Fahmon
    • Open and add clients (right click in blank area and select add client)
    • Let the client fold for a bit, then press CTRL+ B (or go to FahMon > Benchmarks) and it'll tell you there.

9. jimbobjames

jimbobjames Active Member

GPU:
    2 x 8800GTS 640Mb
    Sorry I had to step in and say something after I came back an read through some of the later posts........

OK lets say your cynical view is correct and we are actually processing work units to build missles or tanks or any other kind of military weapon. Ofcourse we have no way of knowing.

Although your theory breaks down in one key area. Stanford have to publish results. Which they do. They would then have to be verified by the scientific community. A scientific community that spans the globe.

So Stanford University has either

a) Paid off every member of the scientific community
    b) created papers without any real results and the scientific community failed to notice

You have to realise that science is not a religion and therefore any new theory has to be put forward and proved with detailed experiment and results that prove beyond resonable doubt the theory. Search wikipedia for "Perpetual Motion Machines" to see how many times the scientific community has ripped apart peoples hard work and dreams because they lacked results.

You can check the results they have posted on the Folding @ home website or you can have a look at the Wikipedia entry also.

More to the point - if there is some super weapon coming out of Stanford University it will definately cure cancer, well actually it would cure pretty much any diesease, virus, illness etc the first time it gets used.

Now if you'd prefer, you can open a thread in the Folding @ home section of the forums where you can start a discussion on whatever theory you have about the "true" nature of the F@H client.

Also - I'm not trying to belittle you or poke fun - you raise a valid point but this is not the thread to talk about it. If you open one I'm sure people will be willing to contribute and / or poke fun and belittle you.

I found this with a quick search on Google :-

A huge breakthrough for cancer treatment came in 2007, when researchers discovered the possibilities of angiogenesis as a method of making a tumor harmless. The basic concept of tumor angiogenesis is that the tumor has its vessels blocked, thereby reducing the amount of blood and nutrients that would contribute towards growth. This theory has been around for ages, but the breakthrough came when it was discovered that the enzyme PKG can encourage angiogenesis. While we're still far from a cure, the usefulness of PKG will likely play a large role in the final obliteration of cancer.

If you really want you head twisting think about this one :-

What would happen if a percentage of the money you earned, a percentage of the money you spend on goods and a percentage of money you spent on services was syphoned off by a group of people, who claimed they would use it build hospitals and roads and parks and lots of other lovely things but instead built bombs and weapons and guns and tanks.

Would you stop working, stop eating, stop driving, stop playing WoW, stop surfing the net ..........

10. sardine

sardine Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 680m GTX 4gb
    Due to a furniture move around and the mrs cant stand 3 pc on all day.
    I'm down to 2 pcs and maybe even 1.

If i can fire up the spare pc in the spare room I will but no network upstairs and I cant justify Wireless card to fold :(

On the plus side if they are faster I get my new 280GTX tomorow.

If the PC does'nt Explode I'll be folding 24/7 on a 280GTX :D

11. aircool

GPU:
    Justifying a purchase or problem with wifi cards with fah?

Because if its the problem regarding the SMP client hanging its quite simply fixed.

Install the MS loopback adapter.

12. Gaboou

Gaboou Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 8800GTXes ->> SM 275T
    These women... not the slightest sense of technology and the importance of folding. My mother also doesn't allow me to fold over night (but she's the one paying the bills :rolleyes: ) and calls F@H "computing for strangers". :eyes:

13. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6950 Unlocked 900/1250
    Why would you sell your GTX's... they beat the 280 hands down in SLi, surely you can use them both to fold ;) unless heat is an issue then yeah i suppose a 280 would be justified.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  14. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    thanks for that also, how do you convert ppd to mol?

im getting( on Project : 5003 ):
    Min. Time / Frame : 1mn 25s - 4868.89 ppd
    Avg. Time / Frame : 1mn 26s - 4812.28 ppd
    Cur. Time / Frame : 1mn 26s - 4812.28 ppd
    R3F. Time / Frame : 1mn 26s - 4812.28 ppd
    Eff. Time / Frame : 1mn 32s - 4498.43 ppd
    im guessing thats okish? does that include network activity? as my net is borked? also i how do i run GPU and CPU clients together( CPU on on 1 core, GPU one on the other )

Cheers Mr. New Mod :)

15. aircool

GPU:
    Those times are fine IMO, I'd try use the non-gui standard or the SMP client but the SMP client can be a little harder to nurse..

But if you do run multiple clients do make sure you set the clients individual Machine ID's otherwise the client will not work.

Network activity does affected the folding at home clients, but I could see it being affected if it was (again smp with the issues) SMP.

What drivers you got and what are you running it in? (OS)

You folding on GPU, gabs?

Because that'll help maintain your rank if you cant do nights (it does appear like you do though..).

16. morfeus02

morfeus02 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire HD4870 1GB GDDR5
    !

to see how many iter/s you do with your card opening the display mode of the program is not reliable

to me when i open it the CPU jumps to 100% both core and the prog gets cpu limited.

so by keeping it in the taskbar i noticed it takes a lot less time to process work units

+ when i open the display function of the prog the first 2 seconds it displays around 6000 iter/s 7000 sometimes

then the cpu gets uberloaded and goes down to 2800 (gpu gets colder)

think they need to fix this issue o_O

to compare leaving one night the pc on with folding in the taskbar gpu temp can co up to 68°, i open the display mode to see the status and in 5 minutes time temps lowers to 54°

moral:
    when you fold keep the prog in the taskbar (the little icon on the bottom right :p )

17. sardine

sardine Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 680m GTX 4gb
    1 is heat folding at 85c
    2 is Folding on SLI doesnt work yet and then that would be 2 at 85c (not good)
    3 Sli can give me some issues, With Sli enabled i can freeze my pc when i maximise a video window 1 out of 3 times.(unable to figure out a fix)
    4 certain drivers can cause (when Sli enabled) "the display driver has stopped responding" error.
    5 I have been crash free for almost 4 days now with Sli disabled.
    6 If I ever find a fix for my Sli issue a 2nd 280GTX can be fitted :D:D:D:D

18. sardine

sardine Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 680m GTX 4gb
    280GTX fitted and folding (with a mod)

Abit IN9 MAX32 mobo has a capacitor the prevents the installation of a 280GTX into the Primary PCI-E slot. DOH!

The MOD I performed was to cut away a small piece of plastic from my new £400 graphics card(It covers the bottom DVI plug).

It Worked, it's just goto stay working :D

Current benchmarks give the 280GTX a small 5-10% speed increase over my 2 8800 GTX in Sli.
    3dmark Vantage 8800 sli 9750
    3dmark Vantgae 280GTX 9950

Folding for over 1 hour and it's lvled out at 74c, 11c cooler than my 8800 GTX

PPD is slowly climbing when lvled out ill report back.

Min. Time / Frame : 1mn 04s - 6466.50 ppd
    Avg. Time / Frame : 1mn 26s - 4812.28 ppd
    Cur. Time / Frame : 1mn 07s - 6176.96 ppd
    R3F. Time / Frame : 1mn 07s - 6176.96 ppd
    Eff. Time / Frame : 3mn 29s - 1980.17 ppd

19. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AorusXtreme 1080Ti
    ok cool, ill set the option to ask for net connection and upload it all at night( i only get 8kilobyte/sec upload on this $hit broadband so it a bit crippling ). Also ill check out the machine id( ill try the CLI SMP client ) . Im running on XP with the modded 177.39 drivers

20. Nagasaki

Nagasaki Banned

GPU:
    POV 9600GT 512MB DDR3
    Not doing so good here... mines done one wu (i tihnk) says resaults were sent but it just keeps running the test protien.. and thats it :(