Nvidia Get Your Act Together

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Mr.Athlon, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Mr.Athlon

Mr.Athlon Member

GPU:
    BFG GeForce™ 6800 Ultra OC™
    I agree with you guys 100%. I am giving Nvidia till late December to pull there socks up, if not i will be going back to a ATI card.
    I know my configuration might be a little out of date, but i have the top of the line parts for everything thats in my computer.
    Here is a example with how there support has dropped as of late.
    Take a look at there unified drivers..

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_5.10.html

There last update was over 1 year ago in Sep. 2004.
    Where is the support guys..........
    Look at all the bugs in the 8_.__ series drivers.
    The only true reason i ditched ATI was because it did not include the pixel shader 3.0 instruction set.
    Then again rumor has it of late that neither does nvidia have it correct either.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=967449

On my part i guess it was a mistake to ditch ATI, there driver support has been OUTSTANDING the past few years.
    When they have a new release most the time it fixes old issuse and wont create new ones.
    Take it a hint from the CANADIAN company ;)
    Then again this is my opinion.....
    What your take on this guys.......

Thanks for your time....

2. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

... but thier tech support sucks when it comes to calling em

also remember your using the first few sets of a new series.. there are always bugs to iron out

and when it comes down to it the latest nforce 2 set is stable is it not? so wwhere is your problem?

if you truly wanna use the latest, then just download an nforce 4 set and copy the memctrl and agpgart folders from the nforce2 set into the nforce 4 set and install

hey presto the latest drivers are now installed!

and don't believe hardforum,.. they get it wrong alot

Nvidia set the specs for SM3.0 with its unlimited shader instructions and repeat shader instruction

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2005
  3. S_Kinton

S_Kinton Ancient Guru

GPU:
    512mb 8800GT & 22" Samsung LCD
    I love the nv drivers - everything ive ever used including vga, audio and mobo drivers have been really good imo.....

4. Antichrysler

Antichrysler Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD4870 512mb
    I agree that the support for nforce,2,3 mobo drivers has been miserable.Seems when they make a new chipset they just forget about the older ones.Can't wait for the Crossfire boards come out so i can ditch this nforce 2 board for something that gets driver support.
    I know someone gonna say"it's an old chipset" blah blah blah.SO WHAT????Does Via,or intel stop doing drivers after 6 months for thier chipsets?No!Not everyone in the world has the coin to update hardware every six months.There are still tons of nforce,2,3 mobo's out there in use.Too bad nvidia doesn't appreciate all the people who made them as big as they are.

5. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

you realise that via hasn't updated thier chipset drivers for yonks for the hyperion sets?

the hyperion pros were. but who gives a damn?

6. Advis

Advis Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb
    with nForce 1 & 2 there's nothing more to do: the driver issues are all cleared up and the rest as they say is history. Nvidia promised at some point a new totally unified driver but I think thats personally useless : there's nothing more you can get out of the earlier nForce chipsets.

7. the_jerboa_king

the_jerboa_king Master Guru

GPU:
    9600GT
    You say Nvidia haven't done it right, nor have ATI, they left out one of the main instructions, I can't remember where the report is anymore unfortunately.

Also, what problems have you found with the 5.10s? As far as I can see they're pretty damn stable... I'm not against the idea of new drivers, hell I''m still running an Nforce 2 board. The only thing is, how long should they continue to develope drivers for the Nforce 2 platform?

Also, I like the way you're willing to upgrage to a new ATI board for 'driver support' but not a new Nforce board...

I'm not denying that ATI driver support has become much better recently and that they are releasing drivers more frequently, but is that's all you want, new drivers?

8. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

ADvis. a friend of mine reports that using the nforce 4s on his nforce2 increase his hdd access speeds

9. Antichrysler

Antichrysler Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD4870 512mb
    As ever,ya'll miss the point completely.

10. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

no we don't

the point is is that the nforce2 drivers are as good as they can get,

if you want to upgrade just mod the nforce4 drivers

11. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PlayStation 3 + Samsung HDTV
    um... I think Nvidia do a fantastic job of keeping us up to date, Im sure it all depends on individual system. They cant please us all..

Oh well if you go back to ATI you will be back to Nvidia in like 6 months :p

Have fun and good bye Nvidia User :leave:

PS. ATI's support is better or ?

12. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

i give him a week hahaha

13. j.rhy@n

j.rhy@n Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PlayStation 3 + Samsung HDTV
    hehe.... I think he will stay with Nvidia anyways...

:sleep2: sleep over it dude... Tommorow all will be fine..

Sry , sense of humour..

14. r3claim3r

r3claim3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra

Not necessarily true. I've seen ATi driver updates create fix some issues in some games while creating new issues in other older games.

15. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

16. Advis

Advis Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GeForce 6600GT 128mb
    So true... :)

17. dude420

dude420 Member Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 7600GT KO
    To the OP, I agree that it has been awhile since a driver update. But we have nforce 2 chipsets! We are a couple of gen's behind so it is not suprising that nvidia has stopped updating drivers. I did see an email from someone at Nvidia saying there was a chance for updated drivers for older platforms. Regardless I agree with others above that the 5.10s are damn stable and never had a single issue with them. The new 81.85 drivers are a dream on my system. You didn't even post anything wrong with your setup so your pc MUST be working somewhat well. ....I mean what do expect from driver updates thats not already there? 50% 3dmark05 score increase?

18. i wanna get clear 1 thing guys....i would have no problem switching to any hardware, be it NVIDIA, ATI, VIA, SIS, NFORCE etc....
    so i am not leaning to a specific brand when i tell you this.

I am absolutely happy with NVIDIA and their drivers are the very best there is,
    i have never ever complained of problems throughout the hardware upgrades that i made, and i used all kind of hardware and drivers, be it INTEL, VIA and the rest.

i am not bashing anyone or any brand, but i am only stating my own experience and choice.

NVIDIA = the best for me. period.

yet, i would switch to any hardware and brand if it's better and give me what i need and crave. :)

it's the same as RAM, you may like CORSAIR, but you would use and love OCZ or KINGSTON if it's what you need.

FANBOYISM = stupid. ;)

19. {HLH}

{HLH} Guest

hes from canada.. ati is probably cheaper LOL

20. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    Ahhh ignorant people and ATI fanboys all in one. Look..use a driver that works till they iron out the 81.xx. They are brand new drivers supporting MANY new features. It takes time to work out bugs. And its funny that the only games i even saw a slight problem with were based on ATI shaders (Guild Wars). Stop whining use a driver that works and enjoy yourself.

And FYI they just fixed a 5900 ussue in the 81.87 so i dont know where you get your info from about no support for older series. Nvidia should get their act together??? I think they have been...as they have been the only company to fully support the new swing of technology fully SM3.0/HDR/SLI/Mix/first to jump on 64 bit. I can go on but ill stop here.