NVIDIA GeForce RTX 5090 base clock Could Hit 2.9GHz

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 10, 2024.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    DannyD, mbk1969, Maddness and 3 others like this.
  2. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    The price could also hit 2.9 after taxes knowing Oligarch Jensen. RIP your wallets bros, I'm going to pass on this upcoming gen, I can wait for some modicum of sanity to return to the market after the AI bubble bursts.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    That's nice, but i'm just here for the comments.

*popcorn*

sykozis, Sacvoyage, Maddness and 8 others like this.
  4. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    1USD per MHz rate

5. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moravec's paradox
    Looking forward to actual specs.

Hopefully a good jump from previous gen :)

GoldenTiger likes this.
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Devil RX 6900 XTU
    Lets hype the 5090 who cares about the rest of the series. Future of nvidia graphics.

Its a good thing we have AMD and Intel.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
  7. AuerX

AuerX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moravec's paradox
    Relax, eventually it will all be consoles and everyone will be equal.

This current injustice and lack of equality will eventually just be a fading memory.

And we can all thank AI for that.

tunejunky and Serotonin like this.
  8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I'm glad we have NVIDIA still, as they offer features for older games that Intel and AMD don't have.

Such as Hybrid Sampling, Sparse Grid Super Sampling and Ordered Grid Super Sampling.

GoldenTiger, Airbud and AuerX like this.
  9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    You will need to rely on Nvidia for high end cards though since AMD will not release them.

10. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    It was crypto, then AI, there will be another bubble along soon enough.
    NV times its releases to coincide with maximum bubblidge.

Sylencer, Maddness, Airbud and 3 others like this.

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I mean the 3090 was $1500 before the AI bubble and was basically always out of stock. I think Nvidia saw that people are willing to spend that much on a GPU and that's the new pricepoint, bubble or no bubble.

Probably one of the only companies innovating. I feel like ever since G-Sync, AMD has just been creating slightly more open alternatives to all of Nvidia's technologies... would any of them have come if not for Nvidia? Don't think so.

12. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Prices were fairly stable and reasonable for quite a few generations, then the 2080Ti hit the shelves and most thought prices had reached some kind of maximum, then another crazy jump with the 3090+ cards and then obviously the 4090 (at least it offered a huge performance jump unlike the 3000 series). Has the limit finally been reached? One would hope so for the third time.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    for landfill?

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    That`s a very high base clock. If true, the peformance of those things are going to be insane, a perfect match for their insane prices...

AMD and Intel need to start making something special to counter Nvidia, otherwise...

15. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    So that kind of clock means a huge fat cooler and lots of power. More inefficiency as usual in the pc space. Still amazed at what an iPhone can pull off these days off a battery in comparison to a pc. Something needs to change. I'm sure it will be the fastest card ever and have lots of buzzwords on the box to sell everyone on how great it is. I'm just wondering what games really NEED this right now. Gaming is kind of stagnant, releases are fewer and far between and if dlss 3 is used properly it seems to be good enough. It's like we are at a point this gen cycle where buying one is just to say you have one more than needing one. This happens every console cycle. PC gets to a point where the cards surpass consoles by so much it's silly upgrading. But to each his own. Maybe some UE5 games will prove me wrong if they ever make it out.

PinguX, schmidtbag and tunejunky like this.

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I totally agree - Nvidia is really the only one actually shaking things up. Granted, AMD is still trying to catch up getting optimal performance and stability without any bells and whistles, let alone any of their open alternatives starting from G-sync to DLSS.
    AMD going with open standards helps them in a few ways. First and most importantly, it means they can put as little of their own effort in as possible, since others have the potential to pick up the slack. They also know they have an inferior product so the only way they'll really get anywhere is if they make it as unrestrictive to implement as possible, to the point where competition can also use it. Even if Nvidia uses AMD's own technology better, the fact that it isn't vendor locked means the feature isn't making consumers feel like they're missing out if they don't go with Nvidia.

With Intel entering the GPU market, AMD might have an easier time. Intel also likes to get involved in open standards, so they and AMD may indirectly collaborate toward refining a technology that competes with Nvidia's. AMD's long-term experience mixed with Intel's deep pockets could yield a decent product. Kinda reminds me of modern Lamborghini - you take Italian style mixed with German engineering and you get a pretty cool car.

I can't imagine what the power draw and heat output is going to be though. Remember: power consumption doesn't scale linearly with clock speeds.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2024
    alanm likes this.
  17. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    absolutely right.
    small wonder Intel & AMD have started to focus on low power (relatively) gpu designs. of course AMD was the least efficient (a reversal from the cpu space) so they had damn well better look into it.

but your greater point is brought home by RDNA 4... and IF the N48 does offer 7900xt/x performance w/ better RT in the upper mainstream price range, then AMD was indeed very wise in keeping the tens of millions of dollars required for high end gpu development (from design to tape-out, plus wafer allocation) for their Instinct series which is very very backlogged.

the fact is despite all of our enthusiasm, the 5090 isn't really destined for the desktops of gamers. it will end up primarily for pro/am rendering. or in other words, a gpu equivalent of Threadripper - where although it's expensive it's far less than the Enterprise versions. and yes, despite Nvidia's best attempts at "crippling" the 5090, it will also be used by some for A.I.

PinguX, Undying and Serotonin like this.
  18. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I agree with you here. As much crap as AMD is getting for avoiding high end, it's not necessary. This is the perfect time to do what they're doing. Like I said before, games are slower to come out. They take longer to make, they cost more money, and the industry is feeling it right now. It will be at least a year, maybe 2 before we really start to see the games promised that everyone wants (Fable, Gears Prequel, etc). So why make a high-end card, spend all that money making it when it's not really a necessity? You can focus on becoming more efficient and providing a better high end series with the next set of cards. I'm all for what AMD is doing here, even if it doesn't work, the attempt is appreciated since no one else is bothering.

19. Krizby

Krizby Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4090 TUF
    60% higher rasterization and 80% higher RT perf than 4090 would be a great start,

Nvidia should get more game developers to implement path tracing into their engine (like Capcom RE Engine), then the world shall know path tracing :D
    download.jpg

20. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    Literally had the same thought when I read the title.