NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4000 Ada Lovelace series design reportedly completed (5nm)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 26, 2021.

1. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 RTX 2070
    i suspect that's smoke.
    the real issue is how they are going to work around AMD or Intel patents, but they're flush enough to buy licenses
    still however even if they do MCM, they're still behind the production nodes of AMD (by contract).

but there is no doubt MCM is the future.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk, maybe - the research on that came out in 2017 but I think the point of their papers would still hold true. Gaming GPU requirements are significantly different than scientific/AI workloads especially when it comes to scheduling - which is basically what they said would lead to issues.

More recently they did RC18 MCM for inferencing, while I'm sure they learn something from projects like this it's probably much different then doing a traditional GPU as MCM.

https://research.nvidia.com/sites/default/files/pubs/2019-08_A-0.11-pJ/Op,//HotChips_RC18_final.pdf

Either way I agree that MCM is 100% future in both, I just think gaming might be monolithic for another generation. I'm not entirely convinced AMD is doing MCM for gaming next round either. I personally think the MCM leaks are about their next gen CDNA chip.

tunejunky and Maddness like this.
  3. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    aren't threadrippers so expensive precisely because of their longevity ?

4. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    Seems like only yesterday I was running 970's in SLI for 700 bucks. Ah, the good old days.

5. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Ah yes I was running 290x crossfire. Loved those Sapphire Tri-X's.

6. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2060
    x2 960s 4gb(£200 each new), then eventually 980ti(500 new, if i remember correct) loved that 980ti
    then 1080 for 400 odd (new) wasn't a big fan of that card great price tho.

Maddness likes this.
  7. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    Aren't computers our hobbies and passions? There is no time frame on components so long as there's money for parts, or the tax man is happy to accept your receipts for expenses.

Three years for a CPU is actually really good for me.

I remember buying dual Voodoo II cards - back in the day, they cost me 500 UK pounds for that privilege. But Half-Life 2 looked so good!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    DannyD likes this.
  8. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    not saying it isn't,I asked strictly because you seemed unhappy it's gonna cost a lot to upgrade it.

9. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    Quit giving them ideas :confused:

10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 RTX 2070
    not exactly, i was an early adopter and ran TR gen1 & 2 because i'm a HEDT freak from all the way back to x79
    i first got into HEDT because that was the only place to escape the 4x4 core HT count that seemingly lasted forever. and i do a lot of compiling, transcoding, and video editing so that equaled hours saved. after the TRX 4 came out i realized that the market had shifted to enterprise and i didn't really need four channel memory so i bought a 5950x, which i love.
    my original cpu's are still being used as i sold them to friends.

so the use case for Threadripper is time, but longevity is a side effect.

Airbud and cucaulay malkin like this.

11. cucaulay malkin

GPU:
    well said.
    though I'm not sure how true it is for a regular user that's just buying workstation level components.

12. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    I bought my Threadripper because at the time because my 5930K wasn't cutting it and I wanted to run a multi-VM Linux/Hadoop BigData cluster on it. So I kitted it out 64GB ram and lots of PCI Nvme disk space - and it served its purpose really well.

Now I just have VMs for software development purposes and generally keeping things isolated from the native Windows environment. I downgraded to 32GB ram and cranked the memory speed back up to 3200Mhz. Gaming is also a consideration.

@cucaulay malkin, I'm not sure unhappy is the right word to describe it - it stings, just like it does for those who scrape together money for their builds.

386SX and tunejunky like this.
  13. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1070 GamingX
    If you haven't noticed, they're already selling RTX3080ti at those kind of prices.

14. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    And how do you do that. You have a list of gpu companies that are not taxed in U.S.?

15. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    STRIX GTX 1080
    Sure it's easy figure out which gpu came from taiwan, and then buy one.

16. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 RTX 2070
    if it's AMD, they all come from Taiwan, Nvidia's Ampere comes from S. Korea

manufacturer's know the Chinese game of demanding IP for the right to produce there so no sophisticated IC's come from China.
    no cpus no gpus no android (for first world sales) and no process smaller than 14nm.