NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti gets 21 Gbps Micron GDDR6X memory

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 29, 2021.

1. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Oh so now they're retailing their hardware at the actual speeds.

I've been well past these speeds from the beginning and on air then.

I'm holding out for the next next release.

Hoping that any and all supply issues and demand will be abolished in the next two and a half to three years. That is if I can get my hands on my (potential) 5960/70X V-Cache CPU I'll be happier than a pig in shite....

Then again nothing is being said other than they might kibosh that idea altogether for the rippahs!! It'll be upsetting that's for sure, but what can one do but to bend at the will of the manufacturer.

Here's to hoping something comes to light sooner than later in this regard.

I'd love to be rocking that thread ripper with that cache and capabilities for the next couple years before another upgrade...

2. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    wait for rtx 3095 gx2 with 2 gpus in one PCB

3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Look everyone, another card no one can buy!

Except for some "lucky" miners...

4. DeskStar

DeskStar Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Well now. Don't "SELL" yourself short....

You know your soul is worth more than $2-3.5K.

JoeyR likes this.

5. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080Ti
    The whole raison d'etre for the "Ti" series is to take back margins from scalpers. The spec bump is just to justify a new SKU. Why let retailers and individuals take the profits, when nvidia can keep them for themselves. And if retailers and scalpers decide to keep their margins? Well, that's the consumer's problem, not theirs, but they'll keep that in mind and adjust future MSRP accordingly.

6. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Vision OC 24GB
    imagine paying full whack for this and the next gen coming out that is twice as good a few months after.

7. TalentX

TalentX Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3090 SuprimX
    The 3090 Ti is ridiculous. If the specs are true, then it's just a performance gain of exactly 2,43% over the RTX 3090. For 100 watts more power consumption + probably a price increase of maybe another 500 bucks? It's literally wasted.

Plus how are you supposed to cool this card?
    Fan-Cooling will definitely fail on this for silent environments.

8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Here with active cooling in the front (Heatkiller V) and a passive backplate, I get absolute max 72C on the memory at 21Gbps (for which it is rated until 95C btw).

No card should be 450W. Even the default 350W of the 3090 are pushing it too much. I used to understand that the power arguement didn't matter much, but it's getting stupid now. A system with a 3090Ti + Alder Lake would be at around ~650W of real usage when gaming, which is ridiculous.

Cave Waverider likes this.
  9. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    3070 AORUS Master
    Exactly.

People who says things like "NO GAME NEEDS THIS MUCH POWAH!??!" are as usual not very imaginative or high-end thinking.

Most of what I do involves VR related stuff and that is still slow as hell with current generation

Anyway my thoughts on this "new" card is... wait until AMD start releasing the multi-GPU modules... then NVidia will really have some competition... and will no longer be able to fleece the market like this.... until they catch up themselves with their own next-gen multi-GPU cards.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
    Cave Waverider likes this.
  10. mackintosh

mackintosh Master Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080Ti
    They aren't fleecing the market though. Scalpers forced their hand here. I'm not defending nonsensical pricing - but as an ex-slave in the corporate greed machine - I understand and would have made the same decision. They misread the market and priced the 3000-series too low. This is them making up for that mistake. C'est la vie. If anyone's on the fence and wants a 3090, yeah, might be a good time to make up your mind, because when the Ti launches you can expect stock to dry up.

11. TiePhiter

TiePhiter Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 LC
    Stock is 21gbps. You do know that right?

Just because some company releases a part underclocked, it's not the new stock frequency. That's not how this works.

The stock frequency is what the part is designed for, in this case, 21gbps.

12. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    Simple. Because it yelds more money for Nvidia.
    When you cant produce enough cars. Produce less more expensive ones.

Once market collapses we will have plenty 200-300€ mid GPUs

13. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 ROG Strix
    It isn't that simple in this case. The memory is rated for different speeds at different temperatures and it's hard for most 3090s to keep the back of the memory at the rated temperature for 21gbps. Running it with higher temperatures would be running the memory out of spec.

Yeah, if you don't have some good cooling, you won't get such temperatures. A waterblock and a good passive backplate helps a lot, but I still don't think I'd run mine with a passive one (unless it's got some massive fins). My VRAM temperature goes up to 50°C max with the block and actively watercooled backplate at 21Gbps, which I do feel comfortable mit.

I agree on that. The power draw of current top end cards is just too much, as is that of top-end CPUs, and it seems it'll only grow bigger. My comment about what the 3090 should have been was more about the full chip and memory on one side of the board than the power draw, which is still ridiculous. Note, though, that current top-end cards with 480W-520W power limit already suck more than that, Nvidia is just catching up, but that doesn't mean it's a good development.

Indeed. Even playing graphically demanding games on a 4k Monitor will be happy with more performance, but if you have a high resolution VR headset (with a resolution higher than a 4k Monitor!) and play graphically intensive VR games every little bit of performance counts, as VR headsets require a stable framerate that matches the headset's refresh rate for the best experience. Every FPS gained can be the difference of a comfortable VR experience and sickness (it also depends how sensitive you are, of course).

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  14. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Strix RTX 3090 H2O
    oh dear 450w at stock , i guess it will come with it's own 360 aio or a full cover h20 block since i do not think an air cooler can keep this nuclear plant cool enough. I'm just so glad i got my rtx 3090 at real msrp at launch date , now that price has triple :eek: sometimes quadruple. Funny story i went to a brick and mortar store and they had a couple of evga rtx 3060Ti for the low price of $1600 US Dollars becuase i asked the price , not kidding :D , i just laugh on their face and left that store never to come back again , even hometown brick and mortar stores are price gouging and doing scalping themselfs , sad world we live in.

15. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    My 450W 3090 is air cooled and is pretty quiet, I was surprised.
    Its huge (more than 3 slots) but it has to be.

16. kllakaze

kllakaze Member

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 3080ti
    I have a crap 3080 that i had to buy an hp omen to get and took the 10850k cpu now an 11700k ... put all in new case mobo cooler added an extra m2 samsung 980 pro gen 4 and im all good ... i will get a 4080 of course but prices are freaking ridiculous

17. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    I have a triple rad custom watercooling setup for a 3090, a 570x chipset and a 5950x. The 3090 still hits 49-50c when gaming at 4k with a 116fps limiter. The 5950x has tiny bursty cores that still hit 70s when boosting, and the whole package will go to 80c when stressed over time, and that's with almost two liters of liquid circulating in the system.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080S AMP
    Aorus 3090 extreme? I think hardware unboxed found out cooler was pretty underwhelming for what it is. I think there is even newer rev. now.

19. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    OverclockersUK currently have 5 3090 snow white editions in stock...only £2999, what are they gonna do with the ti version... £3500-4000, and here i am still happy with my £539 MSI3070 Xrio gaming edition card.

20. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    There are very few reviews to get a good baseline.
    I found their review doesnt match my experience.

MIne was bought quite early, last November, so probably is an original.
    Without maxing the fan its easy to keep temps in the low 70s with a good overclock.
    And its way quieter than any card I previously used, until after I fitted Accelero coolers to them because they were so loud!
    My gaming machine is now open air, no case, because its actually possible without being annoyed by noise. (about 1.5m away)
    There is a pleasant whoosh sound when running full bore, not loud enough to annoy.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2021