NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti to get limited for Cryptocurrency Mining Performance Also

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 5, 2021.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thunk_It and SatsuiNoHado like this.
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    3080 Ti? Sounds too good to be true. Because it is.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    By now I too doubt that we shall see a 3080TI. But if they release it, it can't be a wrong move to limit hash rates.

4. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    If true, I'll bet it will be a partial nerf (Eth only) that makes it less attractive to some miners, but will still have appeal to others mining alt cryptos (as with the 3060).

Solfaur likes this.

5. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Nvidia really needs to stop producing old cards and update with new SKUs blocked for mining.
    Updating the models specially now that they know what AMD has released and their 16Gb VRAM configurations, makes total sense.
    Ti, Super or other, we don't really care. Just update the cards already!

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Hacking their product so they can sell it at 1/3 of its market price. This makes total sense?
    LOL

Furthermore, this leads me to believe that 3060 mining protection has already been defeated. So it's a double pointless effort.

upload_2021-3-5_13-16-47.png

upload_2021-3-5_13-17-13.png

Fox2232 likes this.
  7. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Let's not forget miners arent the only problem, scalpers will try to get their hands on em.

8. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Yes because the company image is sometime more important than the product and is a better investement (Amazon and Google lost a lot before starting to make it shiny clean lol).
    Yes they sell GPU, but they lost sale with very profitable and futureproof automotive segment (some already think about developing their own processor or change of brand).

Yes removing mining protection already exist for RTX 3060, and yes RTX 3080Ti will follow the same path.
    BTW despite i don't like too much Linus (LTT) he have done a video about this period we live... Sadly i think he is right on nearly every point.

The good point: each time crypto bubble is too big it explode creating ravage on minning farm and farmer... it's just a question of time... i will need 3 RTX 3080 at 100 Euro each lol

Silva likes this.
  9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    companys image more important than huge profits,
    very profitable automitive,
    3x 3080 for 100 bucks.

well said bro..
    (clearly delirious)

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    Image is what can make your huge profits divided in a snap if you don't take care of it (or Amazon to loose contract with the pentagon for servers, to be more close to reality) it is very important.

The lack of NVidia chip have stopped the fabrication of some Mercedes, Nissan, Renault... no automotive mean no car at all on high tech product.
    And yes it is profitable (have you looked about NVidia results?).

Last point i am pretty sure i will have them when there will be a crash, there will be too much 2nd hand to sold in a very short time... some will cry lol

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Automotive Q4 revenue: $145 million.
    https://nvidianews.nvidia.com/news/...al-results-for-fourth-quarter-and-fiscal-2021

Less than 3%.

While having the least synergy with the rest of Nvidia's business, requiring its own hw, it's own eco-system and dedicated support. And they have been in automotive since Kepler so its not a newborn baby teething kind of problem.

And this is "a very profitable" part of Nvidia?
    Urging them to sell GPUs at 1/3 of market price because "image", promising to snag 3x 3080 for $100; how are you not delirious o_O

12. Thunk_It

Thunk_It Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080ti Turbo
    "the NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti is still planned for release at one point"...Thanks Hilbert for posting this article. Since I would like to own the 3080ti, it gives me some hope that they will eventually be released.

13. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    This will be yet another card to add to the pile of unobtainable cards for the average gamer, mining nerf or no. We're at the point where a freaking 3060 is more expensive than what a 3080 was some months ago (IIIIF you could snag one). I'm sure hardware sites and youtube channels will be littered with dozens of AIB models for reviews (maybe even there not so much as usual), but they will never reach their audience for the most part. Seriously, I feel like every GPU news item I read these days just pushes me further in depression. Such bad times...

Keitosha likes this.
  14. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    $145 million when you have quasi monopole and represent 3% of your industry, and is rising worldwide...
    Also is in high demand due to electrics vehicules and media dashboard in normal car.

It's for THAT NVidia keep it, when some said "it represent only 1.5% NVidia should drop it" few ago... It is important for the future of NVidia.
    For me (and NVidia too btw) every light are green on this segment.

*edit* market price can be up... and down... the distance up/down can be very high, remember what happen few ago with crypto with crypto golden boy leaving in urge their golden life, i bet on their fall again for that (i have done great buy with them last time).

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
  15. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Noisiv in my country they're out of stock too, but if you go to our online second hand market: they're there.
    Here people buy 25 of them to try and sell them for 2x price, no amount of stock can cope with that.

jbscotchman and Solfaur like this.

16. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    They'll face a class action if they nerf the hashrate for GPUs already released.

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Automotive used to be in high single digits, now it's less than 3% of NV revenue. It reached $558 million/year in 2018, and stayed flat from there on. In fact slightly down (536 million in 2021). And all this while "rising worldwide" - how is that a monopoly? In the same period Gaming grew 250% (two hundred and fifty percent) and Data Center grew 400% (four hundred percent).

That's revenue vise. Income vise it's worse because Automotive has the least common parts with the rest of Nvidia. So it's most likely a net LOSS, and at the very best it's a tedious low yield operation requiring constant babysitting for basically no meaningful profit compared to required investment.
    Lets recap:
    1. negative growth
    2. low revenue
    3. low or negative income.

You called automotive a very profitable segment for Nvidia. Only God knows what you mean by "done great" :D

18. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    With the new system that i built recently i am still using my 1080 and will wait patiently until i am able to get a GPU at MSRP. Not keen on paying scalper prices etc.

Solfaur, Keitosha and jbscotchman like this.
  19. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    Mining cannot be the only cause of shortage. My local MicroCenter and Best Buy have very limited selection of GPUs. How can we expect availability of 3060 when the only other cards available are GT1030.
    https://www.microcenter.com/search/...4294814923+4294818489+4294808723&myStore=true

Solfaur and Keitosha like this.
  20. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    A new record today at my local etailer, they have a 3090 for just 3700 euros. Last time they had one it was 3600 and the time before that 3500. I swear they up the price by 100 euros for each piece they get. Scalpers might get jealous.

fantaskarsef likes this.