Nvidia GeForce Hotfix Driver 456.98

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Astyanax, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Well considering the posts in that thread with reported fixes, i'd say someone did.

update your igp driver to the latest intel dch, uninstall the existing package fist, don't rely on your notebook vendor to supply current intel drivers.

2. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Member Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    No, that someone corrected himself, read further. It was just because he was restarting the machine, which is one of the temporary fixes but it has nothing to do with driver changes. "EDIT: Nope, forget that. It worked fine for a bit, now after a reboot the problem is back. Sigh"

Of course I have the newest drivers from Intel and Nvidia for both GPUs, and it doesn't matter if I use the OEM or newest Intel drivers, the issue still exists.

3. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
  4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Nope, its Standard, contains the nvcplsetupint.exe and setup.cfg contains the line

Code:
        <filter name="${{DCHFilter}}"/>
    DCH packages have the line

Code:
        <filter name="isDCHPackage"/>
    instead.

DCH package is also 608MBs to standards 571.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020

5. loracle

loracle Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 super
    Same old story, beta driver (456.98) doing better in benchmarks and for sure in games than whql one (456.71)

6. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    It must have been updated since as I had made sure to download and install the standard package. Thanks for the info on the nvcplsetupint.exe and setup.cfg. Cheers!

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    i downloaded both the moment they went live and got the correct files :confused:

8. rab3072

rab3072 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5750
    Got issues here on my 1070 ti with this hotfix.

Been playing games and wondering why things feel laggy and just not smooth at all. The only thing changed is installing the hotfix.

So I used the user benchmark tool from https://www.userbenchmark.com/ and it says I'm missing my GPU. DDU cleaned and installed the hotfix again, only to find the problem persists.

Something definitely not right, DDU cleaning and reverting back to an earlier driver just now to see if it fixes things. Never had driver issues before, thought I was immune :rolleyes:

UPDATE: installed the 456.71 WHQL then ran userbenchmark - still no GPU. This is weird. Always been detected previously...
    DDU and reverting back to 456.55 now..

NOPE. Still the same. Maybe my hardware is dying and its a sign to get a 3080..... OH WAIT, can't find them bloody anywhere o_O

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  9. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Working on it. Will take a day or two to get a feel for it...

Edit: 2 days with no problems. Seems good.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

whats the status in device manager?

11. rab3072

rab3072 Member Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5750
    Seems fine in Device Manager. Playing some games on 456.55 which seems fine. Will try Apex later which is where I was noticing most of the issues.

12. ManuelG

ManuelG NVIDIA Rep

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080 FE
  13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Destiny2 & brocolli ctd error

I found out if gpu hits 100% it can trigger it, otherwise it's capped at 98-99%. Had msi ab running in the background and then noticed it.

Gpu fan spiked to 61% from 60 and temp also for 1C in that 1-2sec time.

Gpu usage right before it happened: 98-98-98-96-97-98-100 and puff.

I was at tower courtyard and in one moment it happened when I jumped around with that max sized ball. Before that I played 2-3hrs non stop back and forth strikes, tower, forest, levetian.

Im always gpu capped in any scenario.

20201023_190718.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    100% load crashes would be gpu instability through silicon or driver fault, the association to 100% "causing" crashes is a misdirected blame, a cpu or gpu should be capable of 100% load in bursts without issue where there aren't underlying hardware issues or a bug exists in the drivers pre-emption support.

the live kernel event dump files should be available via the reliability monitor.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Please save your breath.

Rise of tombraider or Grid2 had the same issue in the past with a 780gtx and nv capped it in driver to 98%. Or some other gpus that stuttered, fix was cap bellow 100%.

My findings were, the cap is not consistent in this game and can break.

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Nvidia didn't cap anything for those two games, and ftr, I've just loaded a friends 980ti up with the 456.98 driver and they've had no "100%" issues in D2 where Brocolli errors are concerned, only issues they had lately was a black screening because they bumped the 8pin recently and there was a resistance issue on the terminal causing a hot socket and 11.3v reading.

the Tomb raider issue I remember in detail because I submitted logs for, had nothing to do with "100% load". It was specific to the TressFX shader executing a long running compute task and the driver wasn't servicing the periodic timeout within the default TDR timeout period.

It was also only present on Windows 7, where DMA pre-emption is vendor specific and not a native aspect of the WDDM 1.1 driver model, the same driver on the same card had no issues under Windows 8.1 where gpu pre-emption is a driver model feature

So you're going to need to dig for the Zip file containing the TDR mini dump files and send them to driverfeedback@nvidia.com along with some feedback, because theres going to be a condition not being met that will only show up in the tdr stack.

17. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    There is no tdr. The game never uses 100%, but 98-99%.. i have over 1500hrs with this game & gpu, so please just stop.

And no i also reported those issues with those two games and nv fixed it.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Windows 8 and 10 support engine resets, so the driver can "TDR" at the application level without the usual bubble and event logged, but the game may or may not crash out. These are what results in Device removed conditions even though the display driver didn't hang and blank before reset, as well as those nasty Warzone 6060 errors.

An engine level reset is typically the application's fault in DX12/Vulkan, and driver or hardware on D3D11.

Generally when the Driver engine level resets on a DX11 or opengl title, it'll log the exception to Error/nvklddm (not Warning/Display) and a macro or Graphics Exception is the content.

I'm sure lots of people reported them, but your theory on the source and its resolution is incomplete, all the kepler gpu's would TDR only when TressFX was active and it came down to the inability to ask the gpu "are you ok?, not the fact it had spikes of 100% usage.

The resolution had the side effect of preventing the driver from reporting high loads periodically by forcibly interrupting the device to query its state. (on 7 anyway).

On windows 10 and a Kepler chip i can still record 100%'s without a TDR occuring - different pre-emption mechanism.

So while its similar to what you had under those older games, its definitely not the same issue because there's factors that are simply not present in the newer OS's.

Again, Issue isn't manifesting for a 980ti system i've been working on so stop getting huffy about it (980ti SC non ACX btw)

19. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Ahah! I noticed several of the latest drivers would give me a white screen "lockup" in Firefox. So I went right to event viewer looking for "driver crashed and recovered" errors, and there were none. Also, several of them would hang when I right click the desktop to get to to the menu where Nvidia Control Panel is. Then after a 10-30 second hourglass, "working on it" type delay, the menu opens with no Control Panel option in it.

Anyway, so far, this 456.98 HF set has been good for me. None of the above or errors in event viewer.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
  20. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    Thats due to bug, there is no8bit HDR, its wrong HDR, its dithered and shouldn't be used this way, according to HDR whitepaper its 10Bit minimum.
    I fixed the LG bug by updating to pre-release firmware, you need special remote or IR phone to enter the service menu for that, change one setting and then run update, i got update that starts with 5.
    Everything fixed now, im typing this one 3090 120Hz, 10bit, rgb with HDR on.
    I made a TV preset to always stay in HDR when I use my PC, i just changed the OLED back light to 28, so its very low, when i watch movie or game i switch a to Game or movie profile on TV and they have OLED at 100, no need to remember to turn on HDR in windows