NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 - Post your default and manual overclocks

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Darren Hodgson, Mar 26, 2012.

1. Fur4x

Fur4x Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC SLI
    but when stress testing with the fan speed on max does ur GPU mhz montoring does a straight 1250mhz line or does it make little spikes fluctuating ?

2. TurboMan

TurboMan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW 3
    Straight line, no spikes. But keep in mind that Unwinder mentioned somewhere that the Afterburner might be reporting "set values" instead of the actual values or the other way around - i forgot. For EVGA precision (same software as MSI afterburner, Unwinder programmed them both) the reporting script might be slightly different but both programs are doing the exact same thing, just different skins...

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  3. Fur4x

Fur4x Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC SLI
    Turbo could you post your 3dmark 11 P score and GPU score at 1250mhz please ?

4. TurboMan

TurboMan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW 3
    I dont have time right now since im going to work but i will do it in the future. From what i gathered by your posts, you are worried about this spikes. Here is what you need to try:

1. Make sure you are using the latest beta MSIAafterburner.
    2. Set fan speed on MAX.

If you are still getting spikes, this means that your POWER LIMIT option from the MSI Afterburner is not set on MAX(132%).

3. Set the power limit to 132% and try again with 1250mhz. You should not have spikes.

ps; I am 300% sure these steps will fix any spikes with MSI Afterburner. ;)

5. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @TurboMan - Where did you get that graph from on the previous page?

I have my GTX 680 set to +150 MHz GPU/+450 MHz memory and during Battlefield 3 (I only tested the single player) I saw temperatures of 70-73 C yet the GPU clock remained above 1,250 MHz thoughout the level I was playing, hovering between 1,264 MHz and 1,287 MHz. I did not encounter a single problem while I played the game (for over an hour). I also played The Darkness II on these settings and it was fine too.

Yet when I loaded up Lost Plant 2 with those same settings I saw that 'infinite' polygon stretching glitch during one of the benchmarks suggesting that my settings were too high. The game never crashed though and the temperatures were again around 70-74 C running at the same clocks as BF3.

Odd how one game can work fine on an overclock and another doesn't and showed glitches.

6. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    So far the highest I can get my cards with the power limit set at +132, is the following,

+124 Core
    +200 Memory

Did some tweaking and was able to get,

+134 Core
    +250 Memory

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012
  7. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

8. TurboMan

TurboMan Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW 3
    The graph is from the tech power up review of GTX 680...

9. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I wish someone would post up a definitive Overclocking Guide to the GTX 680 as there seems to conflicting information going around about things such as the Power setting (some say to set it as 132% and others at 120% to max performance) and what the maxed offset are you can use without actually lowering performance.

The only absolute is the memory clock is fixed so increasing the offset for that guarantees the game will run at whatever speed you set and is never underclocked by the hardware.

I've settled on +150 MHz on the GPU and +350 MHz on the memory for now as it seems a safe overclock that allows me to run all of my games and benchmarks perfectly. The confusing thing is that I was running Battlefield 3 at up to 1,287 MHz/6.9 GHz for over an hour without a single issue but then I tried the Lost Planet 2 benchmark and got distorted polygons in one of the tests even though both games maxed out at the same temperatures (70-74 C).

10. Lakigucci

Lakigucci Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX680

11. Lakigucci

Lakigucci Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX680
    "distorted polygons" Simply means the OC is unstable.
    Lower ur memoryclock. Mine is max +300 before it gets instable.

12. Fur4x

Fur4x Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC SLI
    nice results ! im glad to see my old i7 920 isnt to far behind the new hardware ! btw u got a nice card clocking at 1285 is impressive.

13. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Weird how default GPU clock offsets are needed to achieve the same overall GPU clock. My GTX 680 can hit 1,274 MHz with an offset of just +135 MHz. I've just been playing Split/Second at 1,274/6,700 MHz, which is itself weird because the game is capped at 30 fps (1920x1200, Very High settings) so I wouldn't have thought it would require a higher GPU clock than the default.

14. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    +200 on the memory clock would give you 6,400 MHz not 7,000 MHz as the default memory clock is 6,000 MHz (+ 2 x 200 = 6,400). Or did you mean 'Mem +500'?

15. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Just a slight OC. I don't see much reason to go any higher. Though it seems that the card doesn't accept increased voltages when running 3 way extended monitors.

[​IMG]

One thing that bothers me though is that when playing games, my GPU clock drops down to about 700-800MHz periodically even though the fan speed is set high enough that it doesn't exceed 75c. It's quite annoying, especially when playing demanding games at high resolution. We're talking about dropping from 45fps down to 20 at the drop of a hat for no reason :/

16. MfA

MfA Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
    you can force the card to run @P2 state in order to use without boost thingie.. it works like traditional oc as long as you dont reach Power and Temperature thresholds..
    thanks to Orbmu2k @3DC

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  17. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Crank the power target all the way up. That is the very first thing you should do when you o/c Kepler. Those offsets are not accurate because your power target is still stock.

18. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    It's doing that because you've increased the GPU/Memory Clock Offsets without increasing the Power Target so the card is struggling to run at those settings whilst being limited by its 195 W TDP. Since the Memory Clock is fixed at whatever you set it to, it has to drop the GPU Clock to compensate. Increase the Power Target to 120-132%.

Also, if you don't want the card to dip below the 1,006 MHz GPU clock then set the Power Management in the driver's Global profile to "Prefer maximum performance". It defaults to "Adaptive".

19. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Weird. The majority of the time, the card sustains the OC quite well. I'll definitely give it a try though. Thanks :)

20. ThEcLiT

ThEcLiT Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 460 1gb OC
    Thx alot MFA, any other 680 users tried this yet? and we need to stay below 195watt / 70C only , or power target %132 257watt / 70C also working for limits?