NVIDIA: GeForce GTX 480 was designed to run at high temperatures

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Apr 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    They had to say that... just a bad excuse

2. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
  3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
  4. Phatzy

Phatzy Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 7850
    i wonder how many people are going to post why is my new fermi gtx470/480 is artifacting.

just hope they used solder blazing

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010

5. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    about the same number of people who buy high end cards without adequate case cooling or dont have basic knowledge of RivaTuner/EVGA Precision etc

6. Wanny

Wanny Guest

I think Ieldra said it all. There's nothing else to say.

I don't care I'm still gonna grab 470s once they drop in price.

7. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    It annoys me with noobs

seen this one today

my i7 980x multiplier is jumping up when gaming -_-

i mean really REALLY WHAT THE CHRIST !!
    /end rant

8. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Where did i say that?
    I just confirmed GTX480 is 25% faster than 5870 on average,and it's very close in a few games with HD5970(especially setup limited games)

9. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    Fermi may be built to run hot, but how are we going to recommend it to noobs like we did the last series?

I don't want to ask every newbie to take a photo of his case to verify good airflow before I tell him what the best bang for his buck card is. Fermi is hitting well over 100C in cases with bad airflow.

10. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    i want to know 1 thing and this has not been asked yet (i think) but its really important.

the card is designed to run at high temperatures? great..

now, what's the maximum limit of the damn card before it throttles? i remember the GTX260/280 etc being something like 105c?

the Fermi is 105c too? because if it is so then the card isn't heat ready, thats 10c higher than the average high temp seen in games (95c) and will be easily reached in hot temperate countries even if the case has good fans because the room's air is already warm and the fans are sucking warm air in.

115-120c as the limit would prove the card is really designed to run at hot temps, otherwise, nvidia is just trying to sell us fishes in a water tank.

11. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    Time for enthusiast to mean enthusiast

nVidia website says 105c for GTX480, then again I wanna see how it fares with temps after release and the supposed bios fix

12. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    The reason why it runs hot is because it consumes so much power and nothing should be designed to consume more power if it doesn't have too. If AMD added a few more shader sets to the 5870, clocked it a bit higher and launched it as a new product - guaranteed it would still have way less power consumption and perform identical to the GTX480.

Nvidia needs to ditch the one operation per clock per core philosophy and go back to the drawing board with the basics of their architecture. As it currently stands, Fermi needs to be too large in order to extract the performance they need out of it. And that isn't only for heat reasons, but to fix the yield issues they are having too.

13. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    you're right, i just checked the website product spec and its indeed 105c, well thats hardly what i call "designed to run at high temperatures" when you get 90-95c on average.

two things will happend, either the bios fix will report lower temps but the card is cooking (cheat to sell the cards) or it might lower temps genuinely by 5-10c and that would be good.

its only a matter of days before we know the truth, i see that some already ordered GTX480s. good. :pc1:

14. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Several websites already reported what the fix does, it revs the fan up at a lower temp than before. Previously the card would get to like 98c before the fan actually hit 100%, then the card would cool to 92-94, now it hits 100% at like 85 or something, so the temps never actually get to 98 but hover around 92-94 at maximum.

Edit:
    I was wrong about the numbers but I knew it was something like that. :p

15. NeoElNino

NeoElNino Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1080 8GB Soon
    The Nvidia BIOS fixed has already been tested last week and reviews posted on the internet.

The heat issue has been fixed and they showed that a GTX 480 at load would hit 87C MAX. i dont have a link but it was posted on this forum last week..

Edit--
    nvm here is the article: http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1264/1/

16. Year

Year Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 690
    another thing, according to the specs

GTX480 = 250 W

GTX280 = 236 W

unless the specs are not true, i'd like to know how the card consumes more power, that's just 14w more, its nothing.

some here complain about 400w, if i understood it correctly, the 400w+ is the TOTAL system power usage, not just the card, right?

must've missed that then, thanks. :)

17. Ieldra

Ieldra Banned

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti G1 1500/8000
    That's good then 87c is standard.

18. deathvirus

deathvirus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 MaxQ 8GB
    Tell me about it .. my 8800GT reached 105c once :O on stock clocks .. thats when i got myself a HR03GT, and load temps are ~60c now .. ftw ... wonder how the gtx470 will do with a hr03gt .. thermalright already has sets coming out ..

19. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
  20. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    lol @ nV making excuses.

lol at the 480 being 25% faster. On ave is was between 10-15%.
    480 as is a FAIL. Once they sort out the die issues with less thermal and wattage then it would be a great card. As is, best to skip the first rev.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.