NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Benchmark Surfaces in AotS Database

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jan 22, 2019.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    This could be a really good card if it is priced correctly but knowing how Nvidia is lately...

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Looks like there are three versions of 1660 are coming.

1660ti 6gb gddr6
    1660 6gb gddr5
    1660 3gb gddr5

3. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Why.......oh why am I (WANTING) hoping AMD does something drastic sooner than later.!?!?! This naming/pricing garbage from Nvidia is seriously on a level of idiocy and gouging its consumers in the pockets!

PLEASE........Someone do something about this....

ubercake likes this.
  4. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    And those cards are already lost in the sauce in regards to amount of RAM is on them. Saying my four-five year old TITANs with six gigabytes of RAM is enough for todays games is a joke let alone want to buy cards today with that amount on them.

Even saying the 2080's has enough RAM is kind of a joke regarding the eighteen gigabytes being brought by AMD and that's HBM2 for a hella price difference between the two competitors.

Which cards from which manufacturer do you think is going to last the testament of time?!?

Simply put id much rather spend $700-800 on AMD's offering over the possibility of even THINKING of getting Nvidia's latest offering. These prices are a serious joke. Money is nothing to me.... And i refuse to buy this trash.

People should just understand that they need not to buy into it and it will all go the way of yesteryear in that pricing department. But of course shrills will buy their overpriced junk to be the first... I get it.

But if people didn't do it we wouldn't be in this predicament that is the now.......

Undying likes this.

5. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    With the 2060 having 6GB of VRAM, there's no way that lower cards than it would have more VRAM.
    The 1660/1660 Ti are going to be cards meant for 1080p anyway, 6GB is still fine for that, I'll take this over AMD's current power hungry cards anytime.

Personally I'm interested in the 1660 Ti, which is rumored to cost 300€ and offer around or close to GTX 1070 performance.
    Where I live, all AMD has for that price is the power hungry RX 590, and if the 1660 Ti performs better than it (which I'm expecting it to), I have no reason to go for AMD in this case.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If it offers same performance you should probably get the 1070 lol which have more vram than this dumb card.

As for vram this is my playthrough of RoTTR reaching 5.6gb (going over 6 in some cases at 1080p)

7. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    Not when the 1070 costs as much as the RTX 2060 here.
    Plus I care about power consumption too, I'm expecting the 1660 Ti to use less power than the 1070.

VRAM wise, RotTR reaching close or going over 6GB, I'm guessing that's with the highest textures setting, right?
    I'm assuming the highest texture setting is meant for higher resolutions anyway, so I guess the difference between the highest setting and the 2nd highest would be rather small visually at 1080p, so personally I would be fine with having to use the 2nd highest texture option in these cases.

If the 1660 Ti ends up closer in performance to the 1070 than the RX 590 (or maybe even surpassing the 1070, but I'm not betting on that), that alone would make up for the lack of VRAM to me when comparing to the 590 (and that's not counting the far lower power consumption).

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  8. Picolete

Picolete Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Pulse 6800
    Next gen(consoles) is around the corner and they will use between 12 and 16GB of RAM at least

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    There is actually noticable difference in texture quality between ultra and high. I would suggest you watch the DF video, it explains it well.

Why would you be satisfied with lower quality? I payed for my card same as you did for yours. Thats only something 1060 user would say.

carnivore and DeskStar like this.
  10. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    Just checked the DF video, I can notice the difference between medium and high textures, but I really can't see the difference between high and very high textures, and so, if having 6GB of VRAM wouldn't be enough for very high textures, I wouldn't have a problem lowering it to high (though of course I would only do that if there would be any noticeable drop in performance due to the lack of VRAM, if there would be no noticeable performance issues, I would just keep it on very high then).

But, as I've said before, for me power consumption is something important, this is the reason I had HD 4850 and 6850 in the past, and it's the reason I have a 1060 and I'm planning on the 1660 Ti now.
    The 1070 is too expensive here, and the RX 590 not only is way too power hungry, I find it very likely that the 1660 Ti will perform better overall, despite having less VRAM.

11. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2019
  12. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Higher resolution wouldn't necessarily mean that the higher textures were meant for that specific resolution or not. It's a setting. Used at any resolution. More resolution equates more RAM usually in the systems engine.

13. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Regardless the settings max out the cards already at todays standards with the resolution at 1080.

That being said the cards with six gigabytes today will make you set your settings lower than that of what "I" personally prefer to run my games at.

For just over $400 more one could land a Vega VII and be sure their card will run the games of tomorrow for at least three more years. It's called an investment because i sure as heck are not gaming at 1080 since four years ago. So just save up twice as long as it took you for the 1660ti or whatever it was to get. Power or not. It makes a $30-50 difference running at 330 watts opposed to 250 watts over a year or so....

Oh and if you want to game at settings lesser than that of the future consoles then by all means be certain to spend money on Nvidias gimped experience they are offering.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  14. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    Good for you. I live in a country with a below average minimum wage and above average electricity costs, so, I have to cut costs wherever I can. What you call "just" over $400 more, is alot for me.

15. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    I completely understand, but the idea of "saving" up for that purchase that will last that much longer would be best in my mind. And you get see if this is even worth it regarding throughput/OC/water benefits and or overall cost to performance.

I know waiting isn't a real game to play when it comes to electronics, but it doesn't hurt sometimes.

16. ezodagrom

ezodagrom Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1660 Ti 6GB
    I'm not interested in high end cards, graphics cards become outdated way too quickly for how much they cost, I rather get a cheaper mid range card and upgrade to another mid range card in around 2 to 4 years.
    And as I've said, power consumption is a big concern for me, AMD's current cards, be it mid range or high end, are just way too power hungry.

17. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Right on

18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I used to play on low end cards, then high end cards, then mobile gaming cards, then high ends again...
    I can say that it is better to have great experience which degrades over time than to start with average image quality or performance and go down from there.

That's why I have no intention to get another "gaming notebook". It was pretty stupid to pay over $2000 for my 3rd "gaming notebook" in 1st place.

DeskStar likes this.
  19. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    for sure. As an early adopter of the first SLI capable notebooks from Sager I can agree that spending 3+K on something like that is simply absurd. Unless one "HAS" to buy it then whatever. That 3K could score a monster desktop with a seriously good monitor at that!

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    If all you play is AAA titles or need the highest possible graphics settings to be happy, sure. Some of us are just fine with reduced graphics settings. Not all of us care to play every AAA title released, nor are we concerned about "eye candy" or other features that don't actually improve game play or story line.

Undying, airbud7 and BlackZero like this.