1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NVIDIA GeForce Game Ready 398.36 Drivers Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by peppercute, Jun 26, 2018.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Well, every time I uninstall a driver windows always and I mean always installs 388.13, its like its hard coded somewhere inside the system.

Is this a RS4 thing?

I edited GOP, and disabled install new and disabled install from winupdate and it still doing it, nothing helps.

2. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    After uninstalling driver from "programs", not sure if you use DDU, but if not, after that don't restart.
    Go to device manager under "system devices" and remove the "HDAudio device" that's on the graphics card, then restart.
    Or if you run windowsupdatehide.cab, block 388.13 and it still shows up in WU, system needs restart awaiting install, at this point you can't check for other updates...go to advanced options, temporarily pause updates, switch it on, then off, it'll automatically trigger a wu action and successfully block 388.13.

I use group policy..block according to hardware id for gpu and sound card.

-Tj- likes this.
  3. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 970 Gaming 4G
    I just tried the alpha today, it runs smooth like BF1 does for me, but performance is down about 10% or so but again we have limited graphics settings in alpha.
    Totally different gameplay than BF1 or BF4, need to get used to it.

Edit: I overlooked the advanced section in graphics settings, you can adjust most of the same settings as BF1.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  4. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 3G
    Driver Store = C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore:

Windows Update forced drivers download from Windows Update and stores it in Driver Store...lurking...like a pervert in the bushes...waiting to ram them in the second you try to install a driver of your choosing. I think MS has flagged them as 'security updates' so it ignores all the settings about not installing 'drivers' from Windows Updates. I avoid it by installing windows with network cable unplugged, and install a driver of my choosing (preferably newer than whatever WU is forcing so it never downloads), then disable Windows Update Service until I am ready to update and block driver installs by hardware ID.

To remove 388.13 (or others) from driver store (Windows will put it back, but not install it if blocked by hardware ID every time it checks for updates unless you have a newer driver installed than what they are forcing):

Windows 10 LTSB and others I assume (admin command prompt):
    Code:
    pnputil.exe /enum-drivers > c:\driveroutput.txt
    Read the file it creates (c:\driveroutput.txt) looking for drivers that are not in use. Note the name of the bad ones (oem9.inf is an example in the next command, change it accordingly) and remove them with:
    Code:
    pnputil.exe /delete-driver oem9.inf
    Windows 7: Not usually an issue on 7, but as above, slightly different commands
    Code:
    pnputil.exe -e > c:\driveroutput.txt
    pnputil.exe -d oem9.inf

Then to block install of new drivers to specific hardware: gpedit.msc: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > System > Device Installation > Device Installation Restrictions:
    Prevent installation of devices that match any of these devices IDs:
    enabled > show > *add the IDs*

Or for Home (no gpedit) versions or just a quicker way, create a registry (text file renamed to *.reg, double click to use) file with the following info in it (change the hardware IDs to whatever you are blocking, get them from Device Manager).

[​IMG]
    NOTE: the extra "\" in the reg file formatting.
    PCI\\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C02&SUBSYS_8C951462&REV_A1

This example blocks driver installs for my GTX 1060 3GB (#3-6) and Realtek onboard sound (#1-2).
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions]
    "DenyDeviceIDs"=dword:00000001
    "DenyDeviceIDsRetroactive"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions\DenyDeviceIDs]
    "1"="HDAUDIO\\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_1458A182&REV_1003"
    "2"="HDAUDIO\\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_1458A182"
    "3"="PCI\\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C02&SUBSYS_8C951462&REV_A1"
    "4"="PCI\\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C02&SUBSYS_8C951462"
    "5"="PCI\\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C02&CC_030000"
    "6"="PCI\\VEN_10DE&DEV_1C02&CC_0300"

Then to toggle that off when you want to manually update your drivers:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DeviceInstall\Restrictions]

Ain't Windows 10 great!!! All this just to install what you want. And this is just one battle in a never ending war.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2018

5. tensai28

tensai28 Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080ti MSI X TRIO
    Lower driver api overhead would improve the performance for people who are more cpu limited right? Could it be the people on more powerful cpus are not seeing as much of a difference between drivers because of this?

6. Mateja

Mateja Active Member

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    surprised nobody seems to have mentioned this yet but ... has anyone noticed how FAST NVidia control panel works now :D??? that little freeze it does after you change anything and click > apply now only lasts 5 seconds instead of 35 seconds like before. I wonder if this is that nvcpl overhaul they were talking about. so. much. better.

7. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 3G
    Yep, I noticed it, starting around the 390.xx version? Sadly, I am still using 388.43 because the newer ones either perform worse or have other problems.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Thanks for this detailed information, really appreciate it!

But omg, that's a lot of work just to remove this bugger.

I have this blacklisting update tool, will try that first and remove 388.13 from that driver repository, if that's enough.

Otherwise I guess I will have to do all that..

Well I wouldn't have notice this, because I never manually uninstall the driver, usually driver clean install, but lately I had to, to eliminate this nvcontainer glitch.. at least tried to find the cause..

So far it seems to be fixed with this release. Thanks ManuelG!

I didn't see it yet, even after I changed/enabled DSR and closed nvcpl and rebooted.

9. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 3G
    Welcome to Windows 10! Where you have to wage war on your own PC to have any control of it at all.

It's not as much work as it looks like though. Just a lot of text because I wanted to cover all the 'how to' bases for google surfers later with who knows what version of Windows/Tech knowledge, etc.

Basically, you want to beat Windows Update by installing something newer than 388.13 (for now, WU will get a newer one someday and try again) before it ever checks for updates. Make a driver block.reg file and double click it...done.

Then it will never download (for now). The rest of that driver store stuff is to get rid of it after the fact...it sits there wasting a ~gig of space.
    Then block driver installs by hardware id to future proof that. If a newer driver gets forced by WU later, the install will "fail", alerting you that a new one is lurking...like a pedo at the playground...in your Driver Store folder.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    AsiJu, -Tj- and Dragondale13 like this.
  10. Dj_ALeX

Dj_ALeX Master Guru

GPU:
    G1 GTX 980 OC
    I never experienced this issue in any of my systems. I always use DDU and click once the option that disables automatic windows driver updates and that's it.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you can just use
    https://github.com/lostindark/DriverStoreExplorer

Sampson likes this.
  12. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    It use to with RS3 or older, but not anymore.

And I made extra sure to disable anything in gpedit.msc, 2 options (one by internet connection, other by windows update).

This by internet connection was ok before and enough not to install new drivers, just the ones missing in device manager, now not anymore.

Anyway not a big deal atm, will try the method above mentioned by AntiSnipe next time I have trouble with it and not use nv driver clean install.

But like I said so far so good, no nvcontainer issue yet.

13. WannaGofast

WannaGofast Member

GPU:
    MSI 970 4GD5T OC
    I use DDU every time I update drivers, and have never had the problems you have described here.
    Windows doesn't install any drivers unless I choose to Check for updates before I install a driver.

When I run DDU in safe mode it automatically disables device installations settings.
    If you click the button in DDU it sets it back to default and then it automatically installs drivers.

Windows 10 64bit 1803 17134.137

peace
    Wanna

Dj_ALeX likes this.
  14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    It is what it is, it doesn't work for me in ddu, I don't run in safe mode (it use to disable it the same in normal mode), but now I'm not planning on running that app all the time every time I install new driver, because its pointless unless there are some serious conflicts in the system, so.. that's that.

EDIT: when I ran
    pnputil.exe /enum-drivers > c:\driveroutput.txt

There is no trace about 388.13, just latest 398.36. And wushowhide doesn't find anything either.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  15. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 3G
    Then you are good for now. If you have a more current driver than 388.13 (what windows update is currently forcing) it should not download and/or store it or try to install it. But let's say you are about to change your driver to a new version, and you have Windows Update service running/on. You better clench up...like a nuns buns at a condom convention, because the second you uninstall your driver and reboot, Windows Update will be downloading 388.13 (if in Driver Store it is instantly installed) and ramming it in again before you can start installing the one you want. The second it sees an 'opportunity' it will ram it in...like Ted Bundy at a sorority party!

Just totally disconnect your internet connection (or disable Windows Update Service, whatever works) before updating drivers and all should be good, until you have driver, let's say 399.99, and Windows Update decides to push 400.11, then you're going to get that, like it or not, unless you have blocked drivers by hardware ID. Also at that point you would likely have 399.99 and 400.11 in driver store because I doubt Windows Updates uninstalls cleanly, probably just rams new ones on top...like Riley Reid at a gang bang.

-Tj- likes this.

16. Fumz

Fumz Member Guru

GPU:
    Evga 1080Ti sc black icx
    AsiJu and -Tj- like this.
  17. sertopico

sertopico Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080Ti OC
    I am going to install them, I am just having crashes and hard freezes with GOW4. Hope they help.

18. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 3G
    Back on topic, I tried this driver (free of crap style, which maybe the cause, but I ain't doing the full-bloat-telemetry-Nvidia operating system-suite-and the kitchen sink method. Just no way) and upon reboot after driver install, it popped up an error about "DDE Server Window: explorer.exe". Then randomly I get the same two items (never had time to fully read what) hang on the reboot or shutdown screen sometimes. Not sure what triggers it. I have had this happen in the 398.11/18/36.

19. Rapyer

Rapyer Master Guru

GPU:
    1080ti
    lots of stuttering in fortnite.

20. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    1060 6GB Armor OC
    Just a heads up: No freezing, no hung ups, black monitor meaning normal restart/sign out with multiple programs running. All going excellent so far. The driver seems solid and even Dota 2 running with DX11 and Compute Shaders, not a single problem. The only problem when I use a combination of Compute Shaders with "use advanced monitor settings option" I lose my native 1080p resolution. I get a smaller one so I leave it to "use my monitors current resolution". All other options in "use advanced settings" category on without a single hitch.

The game is smooth as Greek butter. Same with War Thunder; Smooth as well.

You mean on a monitor connected with HDMI cable? For me this has been fixed long time ago. Only when I do a clean install with DDU go to Nvidia Control Panel - Change Resolution - Use Nvidia Settings and I change from Limited to Full ( Dynamic Range ) for once. That's it. I don't have to do it after each restart and even have to press "Apply" just once. Before sometimes instantly was reverting to Limited and only after the second try was done. Not anymore either.

Don't have an opinion unfortunately. By the way, after all the major updates, 1803 was time for a clean install. While you, don't keep connected in the internet. Before the clean installation keep all the new drivers you need in your second SSD or even Windows' USB. Never had a problem, either. No junk or unwanted drivers are being installed once you manually install your newest and of course disable the automatic drivers update before you connect again.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018