NVIDIA GeForce Ampere 3DMark Time Spy Benchmarks show it to be 30 percent faster than RTX 2080 Ti

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 22, 2020.

1. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Hey, I care about power consumption. Less power means less heat, less heat means a cooler environment, a cooler environment is good for hardware. :D

PlatinumPanther and schmidtbag like this.
  2. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    Oddly enough, i am actually hoping Intel disrupts the GPU market. (well one can dream)

jbscotchman and schmidtbag like this.
  3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    The price is likely going to stay the same. Nvidia knows they're not in a position to make the price go higher.

And plenty of people care about power consumption. Just look at all the flak Intel is getting for wattage. Power consumption matters if you want to push higher overclocks or keep a cooler+quieter system.

jbscotchman likes this.
  4. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    You don't know that.
    Nobody does (except NV themselves)

But I do suspect they HAVE to be much cheaper than Turing !

Not only that this round nVidia needs to compete with the renewed RDNA2 arch., which is no longer inferior in features and performance, but also with new generation of consoles.
    NV can't afford to price new GPUs out of the market, as a lot of people will just say "EFFFF this, I'm getting a PlayXboxStation"

5. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Aye.... there is a multitude of reasons why their price is going to be pressured... global economic downturn, console releases, AMD pushing hard.

Maddness and jbscotchman like this.
  6. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Given that in the biggest performance leaper generation in the past many years (or maybe ever), Pascal, the 1080 was about 35% faster and the 1080Ti was nearly 85% faster than the 980Ti, while in this gen the RTX2080 was 9% faster and the 2080Ti nearly 40% faster than the 1080Ti, I would suggest that this is a 3090 (3080Ti?), and we will get a bigger performance jump when comparing Ray Tracing results. But we will see.

7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I think we'll start to see prices get back to normal, or at least become more reasonable this generation. Nvidia could do pretty much whatever they wanted with Turing because there was no competition or pressure. This fall, we're gonna get a good old fashioned Nvidia VS AMD battle we haven't seen in a long time.

Maddness likes this.
  8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Don't run Windows 7. At this point, if you hate 10 so much and you can't stand Windows updates, move to a platform that you're willing to keep updated.

I don't think they'll launch anything new with any older Windows support.

PlatinumPanther likes this.
  9. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    I am sure the performance jump with raytracing will be substantial, but i honestly don't give a fack about that... raytracing gets DISABLED on my machine regardless.

50+ % more rasterazation performance is what i want... anything less and it's a dud in my book... regardless of price...

10. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 3090 Strix OC
    Control runs fine at 4k ultra 60 fps... all you have to do is disable the nvidia gimmicks... aka rtx and dlss.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Did I say I know that? No - I said likely to stay the same. Nvidia knows Turing was too expensive. That's why they created the 1600 series. But to my recollection, Nvidia is planning to go full-RTX for the next gen, so they're going to have to keep prices reasonable if they expect anyone to buy into it.
    Why? There's currently no competition. Half the reason people here are whining about a 30% improvement is because Nvidia isn't pressured to go higher. Prices might drop if RDNA2 proves its worth.
    You don't know that.

See how annoying that is?

Fox2232 and HARDRESET like this.
  12. wavetrex

wavetrex Maha Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080 AMP!
    Actually, I do, because specs for consoles were already announced.

Example:
    PS5: Custom RDNA 2 (10.28 TFLOPs, 36 CUs at 2.23GHz) - that's informative enough on how powerful are these RDNA2 chips, and the fact that they can hit 2.23 Ghz, IN A CONSOLE, which can only go so high in Watts and have to share those with CPU cores... meaning they could potentially hit 2.5 Ghz in a much higher power GPU for PCs, and also have a lot more CUs.

20 TFLOPs should be attainable in the power envelope of a high-end PCI-e card.

Compared to RTX 2080 Ti's 14.2, I can strongly say that it can give NV a big run for money this time.

13. Sixtyfps

Sixtyfps Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GT73VRE TITAN
    Cost keep going up this is crazy

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    But thats what people are hoping Ampere resolves.. We want to be able to run these gimmicks at high framerates and high resolution.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    PrMinisterGR likes this.
  15. TheSissyOfFremont

TheSissyOfFremont Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 FE
    I pray for you if you regard RT generally as a gimmick... you're going to be seriously underwhelmed by graphics development for the foreseeable.

PrMinisterGR and PlatinumPanther like this.

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Ray Tracing isn't a gimmick. It's the future of graphics. There's going to be less focus on rasterization performance and more focus on Ray Tracing performance going forward.

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    No, you still don't know. It's conjecture. It's reasonable conjecture, and I'm not saying you're wrong, but let's not get too ahead of ourselves.
    Remember too that a lot of those FLOPs are to make up for the lack of dedicated RT cores. In games that don't use RT, yeah, RDNA2 on paper will probably take the lead. With RT, well, I guess we'll have to wait and see. Honestly, I'd much rather take AMD's approach. I'm overall excited for RNDA2, and if it's priced appropriately, it might be my next GPU.

Keep in mind that FLOPS are theoretical performance. Will a desktop GPU have the potential of 20 TFLOPS? Yeah, probably; sounds reasonable. Doesn't mean in the real world it will. This was the fault of GCN as well - the hardware was overall better than Nvidia's but without the proper software (and drivers...) it often lagged behind.

The point is, Nvidia isn't stupid. They're not going full-force but they're not going to let AMD to take the performance crown so easily. Nvidia isn't in Intel's situation where they're struggling with production issues and littered with security flaws.

HARDRESET likes this.
  18. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    The only information you just posted that is information you know is the technical details of the ps5, the rest is just guess'.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    What this needed to be was the Raytracing benchmark.

DirectStorage has nothing to with graphics.

They should.

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Yeah but this time will be playable with the rtx on. Imagine that.

jbscotchman likes this.