NVIDIA GeForce 540M - FPS drop during games

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by DISCOPANDA, Oct 11, 2012.

1. DISCOPANDA

DISCOPANDA New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
    Hello forum.

Recently, I have been having problems with my NVIDIA card. Whenever I play any game, the FPS drops to a point where it is intolerable. The first few minutes of gameplay are smooth though, but whenever 5 or so minutes have passed, the game graphically lags/spikes and frame rate goes down - and this happens every few minutes. The spikes last for 5 seconds or so, then the games runs smooth, then the spikes return, and it goes on repetitively. Again, this occurs in any game (Heroes of Newerth, Darksiders 2, Torchlight 2, etc.)

I have come here in hopes of finding a solution, since i've practically exhausted Google's results and have still found no solution. I've also searched the forums before posting this, but to the best of my information-digging skills, i've found nothing about my problem. Hope someone helps, thanks.

Some important information:
    I'm running an Acer Aspire 4750G laptop. Details are here:
    http://support.acer.com/acerpanam/notebook/2011/Acer/Aspire/Aspire4750G/Aspire4750Gsp2.shtml

Not sure how to attach something here, but here's my DxDiag if you need it:
    If you need any more info, just let me know. Thank you.

2. cKm83

cKm83 Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070
    I have the same laptop as you and haven't faced such issues. Did you try updating your Nvidia drivers?

Sounds like a optimus issue.

3. DISCOPANDA

DISCOPANDA New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
    yes, my drivers are up to date. may I know what nvidia driver versions you are using? i'll try to test with the same drivers. thank you

4. cKm83

cKm83 Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070
    I can't recall. Will check and get back to ya.

In any case, i'm not too sure if it could be your windows power profile acting up. Is it at maximum performance?

I've generally kept the laptop up to date by updating the bios, sound card, network card, and video drivers.

5. DISCOPANDA

DISCOPANDA New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
    oh ok, thanks.

yea, i'm pretty sure my power profile settings are at maximum performance. an i'm also pretty sure my laptop drivers are up to date.

but in any case, what did you mean when you said that "it might be an optimus problem"? thank you

6. cKm83

cKm83 Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070
    The laptop has nvidia optimus technology. Meaning, when you're in windows, you'll be using the integrated Intel HD chip to save power and when you're gaming, it switches to GT 540M.

I'm not too good with trouble shooting but i do know that I previously had some issues with it. Lastly, it could also be due to some pre-installed programs running in the background. Try disabling any anti virus program also while testing.

7. 51cent

51cent Member

GPU:
    Sapp. R9 290X Tri-X
    I guess your GPU or CPU is overheating.
    You should check your temps when it happens with e.g. Speedfan.

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I have the same GPU in my Acer TimelineX and while it definitely is not a great card, it should run older games with no problems. It should run Torchlight OK but I'm not too sure about Darksiders. Maybe on the lowest possible settings.

9. Timo2

Timo2 Active Member

GPU:
    9600m GT (280 burned out)
    Hi.
    I'm in a really good mood because my G600 arrived this morning (and it's beyond amazing).
    So, I saw your post and I thought I'd help you out. Your Acer is probably throttling. It's what Acer does to protect the components. Search "Throttlestop" and install. I've used it through all my upgrades and it works.

10. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    While I'm sure you are a spambot I will reply anyway. Throttlestop is for CPUs only. It has no effect on GPU performance.

11. Timo2

Timo2 Active Member

GPU:
    My Acer kit "slowed down" after a few minutes until I forced the cpu to keep the clock & chipset modulation @ 100%. When the Acer throttle kicks in it slows the system. That throttling slows the game down. I was trying to help the op.

12. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Why spambot? Throttling likely it is.
    I also got G400 today replacing my broken Abysus :)

Death to Razer and it's crap!!!

13. Timo2

Timo2 Active Member

GPU:
    G400's nice in the hand I must admit, but the 600 gives my ring finger something to do (mapped to -W-) and the tracking @ 1200 dpi is fabulous. 12 thumb buttons. Goodbye keyboard. Maybe I'll keep jump and crouch on the left hand. This is a new order.

14. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Why @1200 dpi?

G600 should have over 9000...

15. Timo2

Timo2 Active Member

GPU:
    8200 I think, but stupid for FPS @1080. Overshoot every time. @ 1200 2 inch flick and I'm pointing backwards. With no blur. Maybe this should go to Guru's Pub?

16. unclewebb

unclewebb Active Member

GPU:
    VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB
    ThrottleStop 5.00
    http://www.techinferno.com/downloads/

Acer has sold many different laptop models with throttling issues. The 3830TG is at the top of the pile for not being able to run at its rated speed but if you do a Google search for:

Acer 4750G throttling

you will find plenty of users with problems with that laptop model too.

17. DISCOPANDA

DISCOPANDA New Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
    thanks for all the replies guys. i've recently tried updating my BIOS (since that's the only thing that isn't updated in my laptop. Relevant components are in fact updated, eg. NVIDIA drivers 298.10 i think, Intel Graphics drivers, etc.)

updating the BIOS worked - somewhat. I no longer experience frequent graphical spikes early in the game, though the spike still presented itself about 40-50mins through the game (i was playing Heroes of Newerth). Still, I think that's a pretty good improvement from the previous issue of the spikes occuring 5mins. into a game. This has led me to believe, unless another possible culprit surfaces, that the problem does in fact lie in my laptop/NVIDIA GPU overheating.

i'll try to test more by using laptop coolers. but, if you guys have any advice/tips on how to lessen laptop heat just through tinkering with system settings, i'd really appreciate it. I'v recently adjusted my MIN Processor and MAX Processor states to 5% and 98% respectively - i've read somewhere that doing so decreases heat. i have yet to test this.

18. Timo2

Timo2 Active Member

GPU:
    Cooling your laptop - Get a bandsaw and cut the base out as much as you can and replace with aluminium wire grill ;D
    Then buy a Coolermaster U3 (about $20). Great cooler. Perfect. (You can skip the cutting, I was just being OTT. But I did it 2 years ago, because I had no intention of ever selling my 8930).

Oh and Hi there Uncle Webb. Love your work. I use V3.0.0.0 for overclocking and undervolting my x9100. Multiplier 13.5x. Has never caused any issues in quite a few years now. I'll check out version 5.0.

19. Timo2

Timo2 Active Member

GPU:
    Oh and DISCOPANDA, experiment with undervolting your gpu and cpu. It makes a lot of difference in temperature and cannot harm the chips (completely the opposite to overvolting). I run massive overclocks (16-28% on core,mem & shader equally, depending on what game I'm into and what the game supports, OC-wise) @ 1V and never go over 80C even on a hot day (with a U3 and upgraded fans.)

20. cKm83

cKm83 Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1070
    glad to hear your problem's resolve :)