NVIDIA GeForce 517.48 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Max Perf doesn't work around driver issues, it works around silicon faults and card defects.

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    What do I know what specific things are called aside from shimmering issues.
    I can point at quite a few old games where developers did a lousy job regarding LOD, mipmaps or both, were using HQ and clamping the LOD BIAS straightens shimmer out to some extent, but still not where it would be if the same game developers would have done a proper job.
    At some point game developers did fix it for a few of those games, not Nvidia.

My mistake to assume such, no idea what is going on there, probably some background crap that fires up.

3. escape75

escape75 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060 12G
    Interesting, so what you're saying is that my brand new card might be possibly faulty ?
    *But why is the older driver working just fine without that setting enabled then*

And also why does it only happen when the card is idle, and never during high load :)

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    clamping lod bias does nothing beyond kepler, need to change some profile fields and use the lod offset.

processing errors when a transistor's switching frequency increases faster then the voltage fed into it.
    stuck transistors
    native assembly that some part of the chip doesn't handle well at low voltage.

pretty much the same reasons a cpu can experience a silicon fault.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022

5. escape75

escape75 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060 12G
    I wish there was a way to monitor power states to see how things are different between 517.xx and 472.xx,
    the only thing I can see is my card quite often sitting at P8 then increasing to P0, however when forced it's always at P0.

I will check whether that was different with 472.xx driver,- could it be forcing it to P0 all the time, hmm.

6. escape75

escape75 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060 12G
    It seems 472.xx drivers are stable for me though, without forcing it to "Max Perf" ...
    Yet the new ones are only stable when forced,- I'm still not 100% convinced it's a faulty card.

I can see it's putting the card at P8 correctly like with the new driver, unless the new one tries to go even lower if that's possible ...

What are your thoughts ?

7. escape75

escape75 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060 12G
    I think my issues have to do with this, never fixed it seems:
    • [RTX 30 series] PC monitor may not wake from display sleep when GPU is also connected to an HDMI 2.1 TV, and the TV is powered off. [3645633]

8. escape75

escape75 Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3060 12G
    526.47 fixed the issues!