NVIDIA GeForce 516.59 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Jun 28, 2022.

1. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 Ti GX Trio
    @Astyanax Background recording has always been off. I remember installing Windows 10 and found that like ~5 years ago and thought "that sounds like a great way to ruin frametime consistency!" so switched it off. That is part of what makes this experience so odd.
    I am the type of person (a Guru, obviously!) that religiously checks MSI AB and HWiNFO64 before, during and after any and every activity. Never ever have I seen the encoding engine have activity since buying this 2080 Ti, until either the Game Bar update or Outriders update created a nasty interaction between them.

@Party Poison Indeed, I should have mentioned that I use Quality DLSS and the 1440p/120 mode of my 2160p TV to play action games. In the case of Outriders I use some custom UE4 Engine.ini tweaks to disable junk like Chromatic Aberration, any and all blurs, AA and something else I forgot.
    Yeah, the very idea of DLSS from 1440p on a 2160p screen makes me cringe, but I have been amazed at how good it looks versus native in this game. Not sure if that speaks more to the awful UE4 TAA or DLSS just being particularly good in Outriders.
    I'd be super curious to know what your performance is like with the new game version! Also if you see any encoder activity reported in HWiNFO64 or even Task Manager. I'm just glad after many hours of troubleshooting I've gotten very close to how it used to perform.....my buddy was getting tired of waiting to do the new stuff!

2. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    I remember that there were some issues with NVCPL sharpening in some previous drivers. There was also some registry "fix" for that(to bring back sharpening from older drivers). Are these drivers still affected by it, if no - when was it fixed(which driver) and finally, what was the actual fix, as I can't find it...

3. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    rdr2 flicker fixed you say ? will give them a go then.

4. Mapson

Mapson Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Pascal and Maxwell still have the performance loss in 516.59 with the new scaling and sharpening . The registry workaround ( EnableGR535=dword:00000000 ) mitigates that issue by enabling the old scaling and sharpening options - https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/n...wnload-discussion.441442/page-14#post-5983437

hemla likes this.

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    4K dlssq looks incredible in generally everything
    go see it in wolfenstein,metro,control and rdr2 w. the sharpening fix (!) you'll be more amazed

6. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Thanks, I wonder if they going to add fix in newer driver or are Maxwell/Pascal just too dated to care about.

7. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    Installed this driver ( Slimmed down version, just the core driver + Physx ) and upon boot up. NGX Updater was downloading something in the background. I've never seen that before now, googling it took me to

https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/ngx

Did previous drivers have this thing included or is this new?

crickv likes this.
  8. Mapson

Mapson Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    The new NIS introduced in 496.76 is performed on shaders for Pascal and Maxwell resulting in a performance hit, this isn't an issue for GPUs with dedicated hardware such as Ampere and Turing based cards.
    Having said that, using NIS in a thirdparty application such as Lossless Scaling which uses the official NVIDIA Image Scaling platform-agnostic open source SDK outperforms the built-in driver Nvidia NIS for Pascal and Maxwell cards.

9. Algis

Algis Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Not tested with 512.xx drivers now, but this problem persist from beginning of the year.

10. garyb

garyb Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3070
    What !!! why would Nvidia release drivers with a issue like this :eek:

11. Algis

Algis Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 Ti
    Thank you for reply.

Disabling MPO not solves problem. Interesting that lag is in both situations when Hardware acceleration is disabled or enabled and some Youtube videos lag more and some not so.

12. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Graphical corruption in Watch Dogs Legion with these (garbled textures looks like a shader problem), like the previous driver. It very much looks like a memory problem on the card, however, after testing the game on a 2060, 2070 Super, 3070 AND 3080 the problem persists. No problems on 512.77

Unless there is a weakness elsewhere in the system that the newer drivers are exposing I'm left confused as I've never seen a driver cause artifacting like this.

edit

All cards were tested at stock, the RAM isn't overclocked nor is the CPU.

13. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    NGX API has been a part of the driver since the release of Turing.

Angantyr likes this.
  14. scaramonga

scaramonga Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 W/C
    Are these 'keepers', or are we rolling back?, like normal lol

15. Dan Longman

Dan Longman Member Guru

GPU:
    STRIX 3080
    Driver working perfect - I honestly can't remember the last time I rolled back a driver. other than issues with specific games due to bugs, the performance of drivers varies within acceptable standard deviations.

0LBaID, Firmeteran, dr_rus and 3 others like this.

16. XantaX

XantaX Master Guru

GPU:
    INNO3D RTX3060 OC
    You can try the 512.xx these drivers didn't have that issue if I remember well :)

17. XantaX

XantaX Master Guru

GPU:
    INNO3D RTX3060 OC
    Yes id's odd, better to go back to 516.40 imo.and hope F1 22 is running well

18. Rogerbee

Rogerbee Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX2060 6gb
    To me anyway, this whole 'no image sharpening' in NVCPL thing is a nonsense. It all comes down to what you have set in adjust desktop size and position. If you set scaling to 'aspect ratio' or 'no scaling' then NIS will appear in the 3D settings. I game at 1080p so NIS was of no real use, I set scaling to integer and the old image sharpening control shows in NVCPL. No registry workaround needed.

19. Mapson

Mapson Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Pascal and Maxwell cards do not support Integer Scaling. The registry workaround is needed for those architectures.

20. Mapson

Mapson Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Additional issue opened by Nvidia since 516.59 driver release.

[F1 22] Game may randomly crash while playing in VR mode [3689733]

Unconfirmed by Nvidia but is reported across multiple forums, report submitted to Nvidia via official form with reproduction steps. Issue with MSI GS66 10SFS (RTX2070SMQ). Windows brightness setting does not work when notebook is in dedicated GPU mode (same as MSI GE66 Raider issue [3693207] [3693211])

Tagging @valorex just in case you want to add the issue to main post.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022