NVIDIA GeForce 512.95 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, May 24, 2022.

1. Baldassano

Baldassano Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 1080ti SHWK
    Just thinking out loud as i do.. but 786 Meg (I'm sure this has been talked about before) for a Driver... Its not the sheer size, but what in the holy hell is going on with these drivers of immense size.. How come every game that comes out need this or that in a driver to specially run better? Game companies have to get their crap in order cause this is just nuts. What in the heck are these drivers doing in the background that this is needed? Maybe i'm venting cause honestly the 3090 im running, is honestly no better then the 1080TI SLI I was running and this is all just a sugar pill basically... a placebo..

Now yes, i know all the bloat in it, GFE all the telemetry crapola sure i get it. It can be 2 Gig for all i care, but why do i have this feeling that all this sheer size and such are doing us Zero benefit at this point, and may actually be hindering performance. Tip of my cap to those who do the slim versions, i particually dont use them but i love the work and effort. Dunno, i haven't been Wow'd in years and for the price i paid for this thing i really thought i would be.. Not nvidia's fault, i def blame more the game companies.. but these drivers, i haven't seen a single difference in probably 5 years.

Just ranting. Thanks fellas.

2. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    They are showing you all this nice UI of GeForce Experience which is packaged in them.
    Driver itself is a couple of dozen of MBs or so.

Baldassano likes this.
  3. MaidenFred

MaidenFred Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti Suprim X
  4. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    It's not even GFE+ that is making the driver huge. My already cleaned, bare minimum driver is 1.4 GIGABYTES just sitting in it's folder, and that is with most of the files compressed. The WinRAR archive I make of that "cleaned" driver folder is 681 Megabytes. Once installed I have no idea how massive it becomes 4? 6? gigabytes, spread all over the OS?

The size of these drivers has become completely insane...not unlike the price of the cards themselves. There is no conceivable, legitimate reason for it. These drivers (cleaned) have a footprint ~larger than an entire Linux install including the same nvidia linux drivers, several different photo and video editors, browsers, complete LibreOffice suite, etc. etc. IN-SANE.

This HAS to be just pure spaghetti code piled and piled on top of every Nvidia driver ever released. They need a complete rewrite from the ground up. Badly.

Last edited: May 24, 2022
    Smough and Baldassano like this.

5. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    "System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispig.inf_amd64..." (includes 32 bit userspace drivers) is 1.35GB with ~maximum "thinning".

6. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Yeah, mine is 1.4 GB, but that is just the backup store. Those files are extracted out, installed all over the place as well, so the 1.4 GB is probably only 1/4 or 1/3 of the actual space consumed. Not to mention folks who do not do a thorough cleanup when installing new versions probably have several copies of all that.

7. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    That is the place from where the actual driver is loaded with DCH drivers, there isn't much anywhere else (apart from PhysX runtime, shader cache and Nvidia Installer deadweight that is thrown into program files folder).

AntiSnipe likes this.
  8. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gam'Z 3080 12G
    Good thing storage is dirt cheap these days.

AuerX and TheDeeGee like this.
  9. AntiSnipe

AntiSnipe Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660 Super
    Good to know, I did not. I thought it was just a cache for reinstall/repair. Yeah, I think I have the 1.4 GB + ~300 MB here and there in Program and ProgramData Folders. It is still absurdly large though. I remember when Nvidia drivers were ~20 Megabytes ("Git offa muh lawn!"). I know they could not remain that size with all the new features added since then, but realistically, even with the new stuff they should not be any larger thant 40-80 Megabytes, not including GFE. These things are 25x the size they should reasonably be.

Remember when that dude made a playable FPS game in a single less than 1 megabyte exe file? Was about the time of Quake 3 Arena and looked about like one level of it completely contained in a 900 kilobyte file. They need to hire that guy as a consultant. I think he did it just to prove what could be done with "proper" coding instead of making programs in other programs.

Last edited: May 25, 2022
    BigSOSS and Baldassano like this.
  10. Baldassano

Baldassano Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 1080ti SHWK
    That is what I question.. Drivers are made for the OS and Hardware to interact.. Being these things are SO huge, How much actual interaction and stuff is happening outside of the GPU and Software interacting to do what they have to do? Im sure much of the code does nothing unless you have xyz enabled, but on the outside it looks like as someone said, complete spagetti. How much performance is lost (or gained) by this Jabba the Hutt sized software which is required for us to use these GPU's? How come a soundcards drivers are so small in comparison which im sure are working with the same kind of interaction (yet on a non calculating level).. but you know what i mean.. I just question it.

Maybe just maybe someone at Nvidia should build something from the ground up that changes the driver doing the way it does what it apparently does?

IMO, These Nvidia Drivers have quietly become the Windows Vista.. of Drivers. Just keep dumping on top of the current code until its SO completely muddled up, you can't unwind it.

AntiSnipe and BigSOSS like this.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    What I see in mentioned folder:
    • device drivers
    • OpenGL libs
    • DX libs
    • Vulkan libs
    • CUDA libs
    • RT libs
    • OpenCL libs
    • NV API libs
    • encoder libs (h.264, HEVC)
    • decoder libs (MJPEG)
    • Linux subsystem libs
    • shader compiler libs
    • stereo vision libs
    • NV CPL libs (with OS locale resource libs)
    Not a single bit of performance is lost because of the summary size of binary files in that folder, because all of them are needed for different tasks.

PS Plus, almost all binaries are presented for both 64-bit and 32-bit platforms (processes).

eGGroLLiO, Baldassano and -Tj- like this.
  12. MaXThReAT

MaXThReAT Master Guru

GPU:
    2070-SOC 2Ghz
    I almost forgot it's Tuesday. I hope these interact well with the updated DLSS.dll. As for everyone complaining about the logistics of the new drivers....Learn to control your PC security or Riot against their draconian tactics. Installing safe NV drivers today is like running a command line in Linux, as above. Put up or shut up. ♥ Every game you play, every move you make they are watching you. CPU over taxed and GPU at 70%.Hmmmm

13. Neil79

Neil79 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER
    No issues to report in Battlefield 2042, good drivers!

KrueLLa likes this.
  14. Baldassano

Baldassano Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 1080ti SHWK
    I didn't say there WAS any loss, but questioned the sheer amount of things Needed to do what the GPU Does.. During gameplay, how often are these files accessed/needed? Is it preloaded and just resident im assuming in memory based on what the API's ask for? Great breakdown btw, good to know.

15. Baldassano

Baldassano Member Guru

GPU:
    2x MSI 1080ti SHWK
    The issue itsself IS BF 2042. Drivers from Jesus himself can't fix that title. :D

ibizadr likes this.

16. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 3080 OC
    So have nVidia ever mentioned why they refuse to make a new control panel? Having (what I consider) to be the same crap as the one from 20 years ago is far past annoying at this point.

Undying and ern88 like this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    driver itself is 1.4GB expanded.

The files with the _ on the end are compressed, they get expanded on installation.

These 25 files alone are 1GB
    [​IMG]

Baldassano and mapnam charun like this.
  18. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    Nis was just stupid invention to try and bit fsr but i use fsr Nis in my opinion its not Worth it. As gtx users need to use upscaling from amd couse Nvidia 《claims》 that gtx cards dony suport dlss witch i dont know but this is all we have fsr 1.0 and fsr 2.0

19. Mysteryboi

Mysteryboi Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX TITAN SC
    I have a nvoptix.bin file which is 130mb in size its apparently for ray tracing im running a gtx 1080ti why do i need it ?

20. m4gg0t

m4gg0t Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Laptop
    All the 512 drivers give me flickering in most of the games I play on my Lenovo Legion 7