NVIDIA GeForce 511.79 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by LocoDiceGR, Feb 14, 2022.

1. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I checked my system, and with 511.79, I'm getting around 1000-1100 handles from the dwm.exe.
    With 511.65, I was getting around 1500-1600.

I'm guessing that's an improvement.

DannyD likes this.
  2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    Yeah, the cpu overhead after few minutes into the windows is still there, guess it doesn't happen at first because of some delayed service or something..

I would ignore it, but in realtime that's basically 200-300mhz cpu OC according to cpuz multicore score or 3dmark physics scores or cinebench15, 20..

Anyway, at least it's now noted and will get fixed soon :D

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    DannyD likes this.
  3. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    Have you just called everyone a fools?

On serious note, Rogerbee has never stated that he used a DDU. He was talking about clean install option in NV installer.
    Wise man could use a bit more attention.

SatsuiNoHado, ReaperXL2 and Rogerbee like this.
  4. Rogerbee

Rogerbee Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX2060 6gb
    I do use DDU and do actually get what Reaper is saying, I didn't know there was an option in DDU where you could tell it not to delete the monitor drivers. I never delved that deep into the settings on it, I just clicked and went. Next time, now I know about it, I may tell it not to delete the monitor driver.

I do a clean install of the new driver after I've taken out the old one with DDU.

I'm not 'that' wise you know! LOL!

Sajittarius, ReaperXL2 and mbk1969 like this.

5. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I don't know why it seems many of you run DDU on each update, there should really be no need unless you have trouble with the driver or have moved (AMD to Nvidia or the other way around).
    A clean option of the driver should cover most installs.

AntiSnipe and SmokingPistol like this.
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    cause it like install gpu driver for first on clean OS install every time? which in theory any problem that arise are from driver side bug? Clean option does "clean out " all thing the drivers installed before install them. for most people the "clean" option should be fine

I been using DDU for years and before that driversweeper? think that was name before install new drivers and then pick clean option in drivers too. I also been removing everything but physix/ gpu drivers and hd audio from my installs

Almost nothing is "uninstalled" when uninstalled in windows to point it was before it was installed. which one reason why I use DDU

0LBaID, Smough and beezee like this.
  7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    Oops! Next time just give full description for the problem.

≡[。。]≡

ReaperXL2 likes this.
  8. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    evga 2060
    They're for sure better than last ones, got them installed now and all good.
    Still high cpu usage but not quite so much now.

signex likes this.
  9. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid
    Dude, you are as wise as any of us here. Never underestimate yourself.

We can't know everything all of the time & those that claim they do are just plain full of sh*t! Period...

10. ReaperXL2

ReaperXL2 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080ti Hybrid

Dude, my end comment was directed toward those replies resembling "Running great over here, upgrade your potato" & "Best driver ever, a keeper for me".

Those responses do nothing but cause migrain headaches... So I attempted to deter such responses...

Only those that are guilty of such responses would consider my comment directed at them.

Do you make such comments? o_O Lol.

In all seriousness though, problem has been solved, no feelings hurt & we're all the wiser for it ;)

11. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 1060 6G
    If you don't have Geforce Experience overlay disabled then yes.

12. Rogerbee

Rogerbee Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX2060 6gb
    Using DDU each time and doing a clean install prevents future problems arising from old data being constantly overwritten and becoming corrupt. Also, if there happens to be an issue, it can be narrowed down to being the new driver and not some other cause. It's like a lump of chewing gum under the desk, add to it and it gets bigger and older. Throw it away when you're done and you have a clean desk.

signex and 0LBaID like this.
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    Two types of data:
    - binary files;
    - settings in registry and/or configurations files.

Binary files should be replaced with new ones regardless of "clean install" option. Settings should be reset to default state only with "clean install" option.
    If installer executes without errors it never leaves needed binary files from previous installation. It can leave unneeded (obsolete) binary files which are just a junk (harmless because they are not loaded by any new code).
    Binary files can become corrupt only due to concrete installation errors, not because they are updated over and over again.
    And if any software starts to behave strangely after new driver installation namely new driver is main suspect.

I mean DDU is a fine tool, and clean install option is fine too. Just there is no such thing as "a lump ... getting bigger and bigger" with each new installation.
    New installation even can heal problem created with previous installation error (related to some file replacing failure).

PS
    Also good case for DDU - reverting to older driver.

PPS
    nvm

Last edited: Feb 16, 2022
    signex, 0LBaID and EdKiefer like this.
  14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    data isn't overwritten, each driver now gets placed in and runs from its own driverstore location.

signex and SmokingPistol like this.
  15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 3060TI
    But some files are still placed into Windows folders. Right?

There are binaries not related to device driver itself.

16. CYP3ORG

CYP3ORG Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2060
    After clean installing 511.79, an error - Event ID 14 is happening upon the system boot.
    Might be a miscellaneous error, since there is no hard crash during expensive workloads.

Still reporting nonetheless. Filing a bug report as of now.

EDIT:
    Changing the digital vibrance option from the custom one (in my case, it was 65%) to the default 50% gets rid of the bug.

signex likes this.
  17. Sylencer

Sylencer Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3090 Strix OC
    In addition, with the latest Windows update (win10), the driver runs smoother than previous ones.

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    files directly in system32/syswow64 are renamed and substituted, not overwritten.
    Locked files are substituted at the next startup

signex likes this.
  19. tty8k

tty8k Master Guru

GPU:
    3070 / 6900xt
    I didn't follow the flow regarding this, but I had the same situation when Intel started patching spectre/meltdown.
    It happened if I enabled Intel micropatches (spectre protections) in either bios or windows.
    A few minutes into windows and cpu performance drops like 5%+ ish.
    Since I run a custom bios and disabled all spectre/meltdown protections in windows.

-Tj- likes this.
  20. NoLikes

NoLikes Active Member

GPU:
    1080TI
    That's like dropping the fault on something obscure. While in fact it's not. Unless running some complex nested environment neither "vulnerability" affect the bare CPU computation.
    The issue I'm also experiencing, like other users have been reporting, is present on some degree while an affected nvidia driver version is installed and it's pretty easy to check on if you know your CPU performance before, that's the story.
    A kernel driver having an impact on the CPU is something I don't want for thousandth reason +1 especially on something tied to a peculiar piece of always connected hardware.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022