NVIDIA GeForce 497.29 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Don't really see a difference on loading times either, R9 5900x doesn't seem to struggle with such at all, texture load takes more toll on loading times than shaders.
    Precompiled cache can help upon some stuttering (if that even is the right word) with games that don't have a lot of dynamics on systems where the CPU has more than enough workload going on.

2. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    Yes. At least if the game only has a cache for the pipeline states and not the concrete binaries.

Yes, but only once per shader. Good example is Witcher 3: After riding/running through and around Novigrad for the 1st time, there is quite an amount of annoying stutter. After a few minutes though, it entirely vanishes and, thanks to on-disk shader cache of the driver, also remains gone for later sessions (with the same driver version at least).

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it intends to stop the stuttering as well.

janos666 likes this.
  4. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Stuttering is 90% engine related. If the engine is crap, games will stutter(See Unreal Engine). The other reason for stutters is that most DX12 games don't compile shaders before playing. This is a cancer that needs to get resolved ASAP. I have hopes for RTX I/O.

5. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    For me stuttering is the worst aspect of pc gaming at the moment, most recent releases all seem to stutter to some degree.
    It puts me off playing tbh

6. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    It's a thing even on i9 and 3080? :eek:

7. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    as Memorian said its mostly engine related, or poor optimisation.

eGGroLLiO and Passus like this.
  8. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Yeah, consoles seem to be more stable. I'm playing Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy atm and it has many frames at 1440P even with RT but it hitches when loading new areas. What's the point of having super fast NVMe, plenty of RAM/VRAM if i have htiches/stuttering in games ? I really hope that DirectStorage/RTX IO will solve this once and for all.

Some games don't stutter at all, RE: Village, Forza Horizon, DOOM etc but these are just few exceptions.

Smough and Xtreme512 like this.
  9. SerjRozov

SerjRozov Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 1080 Xtreme
    Then its a fare conclusion that newer hardware gives you sort of a same experience just in a different resolution. In terms of gaming ofc. And considering 1080p max settings settup as a starting point.

10. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    Totally agree.
    Guardians of the Galaxy hitches are very small but still spoil the experience.

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    No, because it can't, because the stuttering is the result of an engine design fault in how it does shader compilation - which is an unavoidable step with or without shader cache. That stuttering must be fixed by the developers of the engine.

It won't. Because it's only an API which will provide higher throughput for assets loading / streaming / decompression for apps which will use it. If said loading will still lock the render thread due to engine design there will still be stutters. This also has zero relation to shader compilation or cache.

12. kman

kman Master Guru

GPU:
    3080 tuf OC edition
    I mean if devs are gonna implement Directstorage to their games wouldn't that mean the engine is capable of that kind of assets loading / streaming / decompression?Why else would they use it if their engine wasn't capable of doing so.

13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes, it can, because not all engines are doing shader compilation in a synchronous resource thread.

14. Mariusz89B

Mariusz89B New Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 OC 10
    Getting power state faliure with this driver.

DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE (9f)
    A driver has failed to complete a power IRP within a specific time.
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 0000000000000003, A device object has been blocking an IRP for too long a time
    Arg2: ffffc184e90eeb10, Physical Device Object of the stack
    Arg3: ffffac8ada07f6d0, nt!TRIAGE_9F_POWER on Win7 and higher, otherwise the Functional Device Object of the stack
    Arg4: ffffc184e9d30550, The blocked IRP

Debugging Details:
    ------------------

Implicit thread is now ffffc184`e819d040
    Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\nvvhci.sys, Win32 error 0n2

15. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    You can ask the same question right now - nothing stops devs from implementing said loading / streaming in a lock free manner which wouldn't produce stutters.

No, it can't, because how engines implement their shader compilation routines are completely unrelated to how (and if) these shaders are being cached after compilation. Shader caches will not help with compilation induced stutters. They can only lessen them somewhat if you run the same game again and the game use the same shader which was already compiled and cached previously. This however will not solve stutters at first compile if they are present because this is an engine design flaw.

16. janos666

janos666 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    I think this is what he meant. But of course, it's more relevant in open-world games where you revisit the same areas than in "tunnel" games where you always visit new scenery.

17. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Even in open world games there will be new shaders in previously unexplored areas, and if the engine produce noticeable stutters when newly requested shaders are compiled then you will have them, it's unavoidable. Thus if someone thinks that cache (of any size or location) can help with this they're mistaken. This issue must be fixed on the engine side by the developers.

And that's before we're going into the area of making sure that the stutters you're seeing are actually a result of shader compilation and not something else entirely - which can be quite a bit tricky without knowing what the renderer do behind the scenes.

Smough likes this.
  18. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Does not matter how fast the storage is, even on RAM disk, games that stutter still stutter in there when some users have made tests to see if that can get fixed. If a game, due to the engine or optimization has small "strokes" when loading new world areas, effects, etc, it won't matter how powerful the hardware you run it on is. This has to be fixed on game dev side, not tossing the games into fast storage units and hope mindless speed with fix everything. Consoles use way slower storage and ram, yet you don't see games stuttering on them ever, do you? This isn't about speed, but stability. A lot of properly optimized games run even well on a standard HDD (they don't saturate it with asset load) on PC, so these issues are entirely related to other things and not I/O.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  19. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    PC gaming is amazing, but such hit and miss with certain games. While I have some games that have zero stutter and it is a joy to play them for hours, others feel like a chore and make your eyes tired due to poor framepacing and hitching.

20. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well, I mean, at some h/w performance level these stutters will be fast enough to not actually lower your framerate below whatever limit you're using (vsync, fps limiter, whatever). This would essentially "solve" them. But it will take some dozen years or so.