NVIDIA GeForce 496.76 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Nov 16, 2021.

1. PapaJohn

PapaJohn Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gam'Z 3080 12G
    Will try the new driver tonight, finally on Windows 11. Few questions, is it worth having HAGS on or off? RBar On or Off? Game Mode On or Off? What's the general consensus?

2. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    They should add an option for just sharpening in drivers like before.

3. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 GU
    I think the game. In this video they're talking about DLSS 2.3 and Cyberpunk for instance, but until CDP releases an update for their game we either got to use the shipped version or some other version we manually put in the right folder... Shadow of the Tomb Raider got updated today and received among other things an updated DLSS. That probably means we got to wait for the game developers to release a patch.

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  4. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX1070 iChillx4
    Did they remove it ? I'm on 496.49

5. Warkratos

Warkratos Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060 6Gb
    How do I enable Image Scaling per-app? option is greyed out, only available in global profile.

6. NotReallySure

NotReallySure Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 ti
    Never had multiple unresolved driver issues in over 20 years of being a Nvidia customer:

Even after 4 attempts to squash bugs the 496 series keeps failing. Instead of introducing new features like Shader Cache and Image Scaling (that could be causing more bugs), maybe it is time to focus exclusively on optimization and extermination? It also might be a good idea to make sure a new feature like Image Scaling is a better option before removing Image Sharpening? It should be easy to sharpen without down scaling. Even after rebooting with Image Scaling on at desktop per Release Notes, the option is still grayed-out under applications after reboot. On top of that the artifacts started showing up again after reboot and Doom Eternal is still not fixed.

Am sorry for the wall of text but am very disappointed by Nvidia. Forcing expensive RTX cards for DLSS during a shortage and pandemic with no end in sight while the competition can do it for free, is not a good look. If Nvidia continues down this monopolistic path with historically bad driver support I may have to look elsewhere for my next card?

Oh, and before a certain Nvidia apologist inevitably responds; it is not a hardware issue as rolling back to 472 fixes everything, every time I try a 496 driver. By responding to the contrary will only continue to show the ongoing bias to defend Nvida at all costs which discredits all opinion despite some technical knowledge. So please don’t bother as it will fall on deaf ears. Now I do believe that Nvidia will eventually create better drivers as history has shown, but I think it is time to sound the alarm for the giant ship to start the course correction.

Godspeed!

~AngusHades~ likes this.
  7. sertopico

sertopico Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 3080 FTW3 GU
    Looks like scaling and sharpening became two inseparable options. Before you could choose whether to activate the scaling or not:

[​IMG]

8. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    3070 AORUS Master
    Why don't you change to the Studio drivers instead? That's the idea of them - more stable previous versions of drivers. It seems these 496 are still buggy beta drivers. The latest Studio driver is still 472.47. That's what I use these days anyway. It seems you found that 472 was most stable by trial and error yourself - when that is exactly what the Studio drivers tell you without having to do it yourself.

9. Neil79

Neil79 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER
    Just tried the drivers and even with the Global Sharpen set to 30% it's making my eyes bleed it's too damn sharp :p

10. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
    I wouldn't go beyond 15-20%. 5% already did the trick for me in Warzone with DLSS Q 2.2.11.

cucaulay malkin likes this.

11. Neil79

Neil79 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER
    In the previous drivers 30% was perfect, seems that is crazy high now with the new ones? ( Btw it automatically sets to 50% )

12. Rx4speed

Rx4speed Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 295x2
    HAGS seems to be for if you are CPU bound, as it offloads some things to the GPU, but it causes known issues with WMR (VR) etc. Personally I don't use it. I use REBAR and Game Mode just prevents windows update/restart notifiications etc. I have it on.

PapaJohn likes this.
  13. jogogold

jogogold Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    IT STILL FLICKERS ON WIN11.

NVIDIA, please.

14. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    HAGS has never caused any problems in WMR for me, and I use it almost everyday. I'm pretty sure the issue was addressed back in 20H2.

Smough, lukas_1987_dion and PapaJohn like this.
  15. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 3090 Ti nvLink
    Allowing a standard DCH install on my system causes small black polygons to form around active window on 2D desktop. These are in the OS 2D window and not the monitor. Example the mouse cursor can go over these polygons and retain it arrow shape as if it gliding over little square black lakes.
    Photos and video have been uploaded in the original 496 driver thread.

Installing minimalist driver and manual control panel install seems to remove the issue. Behavior started with 396 drivers, so far unsolved.
    Reverting to standard (non DCH) 472, or 471, or 466 seems to solve those issues as well.

Thank you

SatsuiNoHado and chinobino like this.

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Battlefield 2042 Game Ready Driver Released | GeForce News | NVIDIA

Guess you have to wait for the fix from Microsoft going to live instead.

17. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060 TUF
  18. Krzyslaw

Krzyslaw Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080S SHUNT MOD
  19. Smiley_ie

Smiley_ie Master Guru

GPU:
    3090 Alphacool
    Still flicker Win 10.

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Ah, think I get it now. :)
    You have to enable Image Scaling on the Global Profile and then set the Sharpening for each game, upscaling then depends on set in game resolution for fullscreen but the driver will choose DLSS over that when the game supports it?