NVIDIA GeForce 496.49 WHQL driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by valorex, Oct 26, 2021.

1. schoolofmonkey

schoolofmonkey Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3090 XC3
    I find HDR horrible on the 32" Samsung G7 Odyssey, figured it might of been Windows 10 or drivers, nope Windows 11, new drivers and it still looks like crap :(

2. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    I posted this in the incorrect hotfix thread, and tried to move it here, so I apologize for the re-post. The response should have been anchored in this thread:

Hello
    I'm having issues with 496 series drivers

out of two main issues, I have only found a work around for one.

Issue 1
    496 displays polygon artifacts in 2D desktop where small black squares appear on 2D desktop surrounding app windows.
    Issue is 100% resolved when driver is installed without MS store/control panel automatically and control panel is installed manually from extracting the appx (7z) and placed in the correct directory, with ms store off and appx service disabled.

Reverting to 472.12 resolves this issue.

Issue 2
    A
    . Performance drop compared to 472 in mgpu app games or mgpu setup. Examples include SOTTR, ROTTR, Sniper 4, Quake RTX, and a few others.
    Single GPU games that are affected to a lesser degree are Cyberpunk, Agony, Succubus, Metro Exodus, Ghostrunner and Necromunda. all games running DRM free, no interference from overlays or 3rd party.
    I use max eye candy in settings at 4k, 10-bit, no vignette, no film grain, no motion blur, no depth of field and no DLSS.
    I don't have any apps running in background, no chrome derivatives, no ms store apps, and no 3r party such as steam, EA, etc.
    (Dual 3090 RTX FE and Asus PA32UCG)

Benchmark drop in Gravity-Mark from 71,000 average, to 64,000 average in Vulkan. Also showing a 67,000 average tp 63,000 average in DX12 performance.

https://gravitymark.tellusim.com/leaderboard/

B. I'm experiencing a new micro delay between opening and closing 3D apps or games (3D medical software) and games (Vulkan DX12, DX11, OpenGL) -where momentarily (1-2 second) the screen goes completely black, occasionally lasting as long as 2 seconds, but normally slightly less than 1 second.

Reverting to 472.39 retains the micro delay and games / benchmarks have a slight drop in performance compared to 472.12. 472.39 solves the 2D artifacts - this is probably due to standard driver implementation as it doesn't use the ms store.

Reverting to standard 472.12 resolves all issues. Benchmark and game performance is returned to normal, screen artifacts are gone.

Peak performance for drivers and most stable was standard 471.41 driver (so far).

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  3. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    I'm having a similar issue. It seems that beyond the effectiveness of HDR in games/media, the 2D desktop is definitely unusable, washed out and bleached. I've followed and tried many well meaning suggestions from the forum, but at the end of the process the HDR implementation in windows server 2019, server 2022, and windows 11, seems not to have solved it for me so far.

Still looking for how to maintain the correct color and have HDR in specific games.

The only time it works for me is with games that have the HDR implementation independent of the windows setting.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the brightness slider didn't help at all?

5. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Yes, I've observed it as well on my Philips Momentum 436M6VBPAB VESA HDR1000 Monitor that I now use on my second System. On this monitor HDR hasn't been working properly on desktop or games that require the Windows HDR setting to be enabled since a couple of major Windows 10 releases. Before that it was working fine (I think it worked fine until the first release that introduced the SDR brightness slider worked fine, the major release after that broke it). Microsoft apparently changed something about HDR in Windows and now the desktop, non-HDR games and games that depend on the Windows HDR setting to be enabled are dull, washed out and just don't look correct (no, the SDR brightness slider doesn't help) and it seems to be more of a contrast problem rather than brightness anyway - SDR is basically unusable - and only games that enable HDR by themselves when it's disabled in Windows Settings look good. Alas, that monitor has the same problem with Windows 11.

Oddly enough, on my LG OLED48CX9 TV which I now use as my main monitor, the desktop looks great in HDR and also in all games, no matter if Windows 10 or 11.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2021
  6. artina90

artina90 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Have you tried installing the monitor/tv drivers?
    At least for my LG monitor, installing the drivers is the only way to get windows to recognize the HDR characteristics of the display.

You can check your current HDR values by typing dxdiag in start, opening the tool and pressing "save all information".
    The dxdiag tool will save a txt file that contains "Display Luminance" entries. It will list the minimum, maximum and maximum full frame luminance.

You can manually tune these values using CRU but for me installing the monitor drivers is sufficient to bring the desktop HDR mode much closer to where it should be.
    The desktop experience is still crap compared to native HDR games/movies but it's much better than without the drivers.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    there are no such thing, all the inf only package does is install a questionably bad icc profile and override the mode list.

Xtreme512 likes this.
  8. venturi

venturi Master Guru

GPU:
    2x 4090 FE RTX
    Thank you, no sir
    I've tried even locking monitor IC file, tried the brightness slider, tried the HDR function buttons in windows, tried the color management profile, tried the 64-bit color mode, and tried a few of the bat file auto scripts. All avenues are painful. but no, in 2D mode its painful.

HDR looks "ok" depending on the individual app/game implementation, some good some bad, but windows 2D is unbearable.

I did a boot of windows 11 just to see if it was solved... but no.

The only time it seems to work well is when the application has an HDR function independent of windows.

9. Cryio

Cryio Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700 XT
    Office hardware acceleration has been a thing since Office 2013.

If you would have used let's say ... 2010 and 2013 back to back, you'd see how typing letters in 2013 would have sort of a smooth motion blur applied to the letters being generated, an effect easily associated with hardware acceleration. The effect is gone in modern Offices though.

10. BlackScout

BlackScout Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    Loving the bizarre flickering with this one.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Interesting. Never seen that. I guess I always used the standard look and feel of MSO, and put my faith in the Windows personalizing options for scrolling and such like. I do recall changing the DPI settings for MS Word, but an overall setting for graphics acceleration that applies itself to every program of MSO? Even Access? Never seen it.

12. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3060Ti GamingZ Trio
    Certainly not system or game breaking but there is a flicker which occurs once or twice day when im browsing via chrome

Not enough to cause any bother

13. drewho

drewho Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090
    Getting exactly the same thing

Passus likes this.
  14. Neil79

Neil79 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 SUPER
    Not a single crash or hitch tonight with frame rates at least 10-20 above what they used to be with the 457.x drivers..... Glad I ditched those awful later drivers, including the NVIDIA Hotfix GeForce 496!
    Also Sharpen works in the Nvidia Control Panel for Warzone, which means I no longer have to use Geforce Experience!

15. SatsuiNoHado

SatsuiNoHado Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti FTW3
    today after a very long time i tried to use dx12 in division 2 and i get an error "application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" when the game starts to loading.. this only happens with DX12. this actually an exception code: 0xc0000005 error so i gave everyone full access to ubi folder contains the game and running in admin mode i still couldnt manage to fix this.. i tried this thing in 2 pure untouched non tweaked OS (1607&21h2).. game doesnt work in dx12. what could be done for this ?

16. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    that message means your hardware is crapping itself.

Xtreme512 likes this.
  17. BlackScout

BlackScout Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1660 6GB
    Just to confirm, is anyone else having this issue?
    (NVIDIA Forums video)

fluidz likes this.
  18. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080Ti VISION OC
    Forza H5 working great on this one :p

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Manuel is trying to find a guaranteed repo for a similar bug on notebooks.

BlackScout likes this.
  20. Dark360

Dark360 Member

GPU:
    eVGA RTX 3080 XC3
    Yes same issue here.

BlackScout likes this.